Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Triangle area: power outages, healthcare quality, retail shopping, chain restaurants

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times

Advertisements

Yes, I am yet another Northeasterner considering the move to the Triangle area. I come from 40 min. N of Manhattan in Westchester County. Have a lot of questions:

How humid/hot are the summers?
What are the seasons like?
Get snow, how much?
Do you get power outages from storms etc/how often?
What is the quality of healthcare like in the area?
What is shopping like - retail/kids stuff - clothes/toys, general groceries etc.
I hear there a lot more chain restaurant dining in the south - is that true of this area?
How much culture shock is it to move from where I am down to the Triangle?
What is the area like relating to families (we have a 2 y/o daughter)? We are looking for a family friendly area with lots for kids to do - kids play areas/kids classes/preschools/playgrounds etc.
I know schools are in a state of tremendous flux - what is the deal with the "modulare classrooms"? Are they building more schools so this goes away?
What is the job market like for white collar finance jobs?
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 11:38 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post
Yes, I am yet another Northeasterner considering the move to the Triangle area. I come from 40 min. N of Manhattan in Westchester County. Have a lot of questions:

Get snow, how much?
What is shopping like - retail/kids stuff - clothes/toys, general groceries etc.
I hear there a lot more chain restaurant dining in the south - is that true of this area?
What is the area like relating to families (we have a 2 y/o daughter)? We are looking for a family friendly area with lots for kids to do - kids play areas/kids classes/preschools/playgrounds etc.
I know schools are in a state of tremendous flux - what is the deal with the "modulare classrooms"? Are they building more schools so this goes away?
Thanks...
Summers can be hot. This one's a real scorcher.

Four seasons but not usually too extreme.

Some snow, usually not much. Ice can occur at times and it gets bad.

Power can go out if big storms hit. Not too often, but can stay out a while after a major storm.

Great healthcare. Duke for really specialized conditions.

We used to live in Manhattan and like Raleigh after 18 years. Shock depends on what you're looking for in a community. Really miss good public transit.

Nice for families. Things to do. Lots of churches if you're into them. Churches can help you get acquainted and provide great family activities.

Schools are very overcrowded. Dr. Burns said yesterday that he'll be playing catch up indefinitely unless influx of students slows.

RBC Centura bank is moving US HQ to Raleigh. Might look there

Good luck, Lisa.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:44 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaZ View Post

Get snow, how much?
Thanks...
Well;
You do have quite a bit of questions, the best way to get your answers is to read everything you can on this forum and on the web. Plus you have to come out here every season to see what to expect, for two years, I watched the Raleigh weather every single day, and was prepared for it when I eventually did move. As for humidity, I am sure you are used to it, but coming from San Diego, it was such a change, it zapped for for the first month or so.
I think there are tons of chain restarants, but the good thing is, most of the chains have a "no smoking" policy, which is wonderful in my opinion.
I can tell you that jobs, are tricky. If you are in a IT field or medical, you can pretty much guarantee your going to find one sooner or later, as far as finance, heck, it is a crap shoot. What I have noticed is that when people get jobs here, they tend to stick in that job for much longer than I am used to, so that decreases the availability.

Good luck on your research, and just know that NC, is such a beautiful place, and the people are wonderful, the outdoor life here is amazing, tons of parks and lakes and mountains and sea. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else but here.

Liz

Old 08-28-2007, 11:58 AM

560 posts, read 2,849,541 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...-me-first.html

Old 08-28-2007, 01:42 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,772,563 times
We have wonderful seasons. While it is true this summer has been extremely hot, humid and not much rain, that isn't always the case in summer. Most are an enjoyable few months of warm weather before the cool fall comes.

Winters are pretty mild usually. It is not unusual to go an entire winter with no snow. Every 5-10 years we get a big snow storm and because it is unusual, we don't bother having the equipment to clear everything quickly like up north. Ice storms are probably a bigger concern due to the pines that snap and bring down power lines.

Unemployment is extremely low in this area. Finding that first job here might be tough, especially if trying to land it from Westchester County, but there are lots of jobs out there.

While there are tons of national chain restaurants, there are also plenty of dining options that are not chain. I almost never eat chain unless it is Bojangles or Panera or Wendy's for lunch.

There are some very familty friendly neighborhoods out there. Mine is overrun with small kids most evenings before dark. Lots of families outside talking. We probably come off as anti-social to many of our neighbors because we only join in every week or so instead of nightly. Lots of good playgrounds. I'd try to find a community with a pool, as the public options haven't kept up with the booming population.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:12 AM

353 posts, read 1,366,960 times
Default Chapel Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
We have wonderful seasons. While it is true this summer has been extremely hot, humid and not much rain, that isn't always the case in summer. Most are an enjoyable few months of warm weather before the cool fall comes.

Winters are pretty mild usually. It is not unusual to go an entire winter with no snow. Every 5-10 years we get a big snow storm and because it is unusual, we don't bother having the equipment to clear everything quickly like up north. Ice storms are probably a bigger concern due to the pines that snap and bring down power lines.

Unemployment is extremely low in this area. Finding that first job here might be tough, especially if trying to land it from Westchester County, but there are lots of jobs out there.

While there are tons of national chain restaurants, there are also plenty of dining options that are not chain. I almost never eat chain unless it is Bojangles or Panera or Wendy's for lunch.

There are some very familty friendly neighborhoods out there. Mine is overrun with small kids most evenings before dark. Lots of families outside talking. We probably come off as anti-social to many of our neighbors because we only join in every week or so instead of nightly. Lots of good playgrounds. I'd try to find a community with a pool, as the public options haven't kept up with the booming population.
Care to share the neighborhood? Or any family friendly neighborhoods you know of? What about Chapel Hill. We have read great things about the town. We are early 40's with a 1 1/2 year old so we are looking for similar families.
Thanks.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:20 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,088,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post

RBC Centura bank is moving US HQ to Raleigh. Might look there
Hi Saturnfan:

Where did you hear that?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:25 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Here:

RBC Centura Selects Highwoods Properties
To Develop New Headquarters
RBC Centura : RBC Centura Selects Highwoods Properties To Develop New Headquarters (http://www.rbccentura.com/about/news/120605_newhq.html - broken link)

Moderator cut: COPYRIGHT VIOLATION:
Most commerical websites are copyrighted please read their policies.
For instance this company policy on copying articles is at the bottom of this page
RBC Centura : Trademarks and Copyrights (http://www.rbccentura.com/privacy/trademarks.html - broken link)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-05-2007 at 03:50 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 09-05-2007, 11:27 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Hi Saturnfan:

Where did you hear that?
They are building a tower in Raleigh for the offices.
newsobserver.com | Developers break ground on RBC Plaza (http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/491001.html - broken link)

[ The Plaza Condominiums ]

Old 09-05-2007, 11:51 AM

3 posts, read 5,562 times
Summers are usually warm, but this year it's unusually hot
We get all four seasons. THey are usually mild with a few swings to the extreme from time to time
We usually get a few inches a year. We're more likely to get ice than snow
We don't have many power outages
Healthcare is exceptional. I just had an emergency Heart Procedure that most folks die from
We have several modern, new shopping centers. Very upscale.
Yes, we have several chain restaurants as well as mom and pop restaurant
I"ve lived here 10 years. I moved from the DC area. There are enough notherners to minimize the culture shock
This is a family friendly area. That's why we moved here.
A lot of people are moving here which has put a strain on the school systems. They are trying to address the issue by building new schools
The job market here is exceptional. That's why our house prices have held up so well.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-05-2007 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary