Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 PM

171 posts, read 448,165 times

Advertisements

Are there any bus operators on the Raleigh-NYC route besides Greyhound and the Chinatown buses?

A friend in DC was telling me they have nice bus services between DC and NY, including buses with wifi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 06:11 AM

915 posts, read 2,383,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Are there any bus operators on the Raleigh-NYC route besides Greyhound and the Chinatown buses?

A friend in DC was telling me they have nice bus services between DC and NY, including buses with wifi.
Megabus departs from Durham Station 3 times a day and has a 4.5 hour route to Union Station in DC. From there, there are near-hourly buses during the daytime to New York.

Megabus doesn't allow you to book a connecting ticket, but if you're traveling on a day that isn't busy, you should be able to reserve your Durham->DC ticket, and then just catch the next bus to NYC (without a reservation) in DC. Or, you can just plan for a little bit of wiggle room/delays and book your DC->NYC bus with a bit of a layover.

I've taken Megabus to DC a few times, and it's certainly a nice ride. Free WiFi, the buses are always clean, and they're only one stop, in Richmond.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:22 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,157,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
Megabus doesn't allow you to book a connecting ticket, but if you're traveling on a day that isn't busy, you should be able to reserve your Durham->DC ticket, and then just catch the next bus to NYC (without a reservation) in DC.
I'm curious what you mean by this. I have had friends that have taken Megabus from Durham to NYC and have booked tickets for both legs in separate transactions. Do you just mean you can't book them in the same transaction?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:25 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,521,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I'm curious what you mean by this. I have had friends that have taken Megabus from Durham to NYC and have booked tickets for both legs in separate transactions. Do you just mean you can't book them in the same transaction?
That's right.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:08 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,181 times
How much is Megabus to DC from Durham?

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 AM

Depends how far out you buy the ticket. They operate similar to the airlines. The more in advance you buy the ticket the better the price. Last year I used them to get to a meeting I had in DC. Bought the tickets 3 months out and it cost me $8 round trip.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:51 AM

171 posts, read 448,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peperoberto View Post
I've taken Megabus to DC a few times, and it's certainly a nice ride. Free WiFi, the buses are always clean, and they're only one stop, in Richmond.
Sounds pretty good. Except that it leaves from Durham.

Any similar services operating from Raleigh?

Is the Durham station safe to leave a car parked for several days?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 AM

612 posts, read 1,280,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter View Post
Is the Durham station safe to leave a car parked for several days?
nope, celebratory gunfire will likely rain down on it

Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM

Personally I wouldn't but I don't even like leaving my car at the airport if I don't have to. If you don't have a friend that can drop you off in Durham, you could always take Amtrak or Triangle Transit from Raleigh to Durham.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Depends how far out you buy the ticket. They operate similar to the airlines. The more in advance you buy the ticket the better the price. Last year I used them to get to a meeting I had in DC. Bought the tickets 3 months out and it cost me $8 round trip.
$8 holy smokes that's cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary