Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 06:17 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I guess it depends on the context. Our school has a day in the fall and in the spring where they ask people to come help "beautify the grounds". I think of it more as a community service type thing. Janitorial work....now your straying into dangerous territory. What if someone got hurt doing that? I guess that could happen working outside too though.

As far as signing up to watch each other's children before and after school, I guess my question is where? I don't think it's the school's responsibility to provide that care. If a bunch of parents want to get together and work that out, what's the big deal? No different than working something out with a neighbor so you can have a date nite once in a while. I am not happy about the proposed change in bell schedule for our school, but there's always going to be someone for whom the schedule doesn't work. Are these parents working at the school providing the care? Are there payments being made? Are these "urban legend" type of claims or is there anything substantiating this?
Expect more of it for real as fiscal restraints make budget cuts inevitable and schools are left to either cut back a service or have volunteers do it.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:40 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
At Exploris, they had the KIDS clean! I thought it was great. Teaches them to clean up their own messes and think twice before making them! I think they professional cleaners do the bathrooms, but the kids did all of the other cleaning, each with their own job, for 15 minutes per day.
I think that's a great idea.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:42 AM

387 posts, read 1,045,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
I think that's a great idea.
I find it kind of appalling, actually. It's one thing to have kids wipe down the classroom tables/desks at the end of the day, I think that's OK. But what else are they doing? You said professionals clean the bathrooms...what about emptying the trash, mopping the floors, cleaning the cafeteria, dusting the bookshelves, washing the windows, etc.?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
I find it kind of appalling, actually. It's one thing to have kids wipe down the classroom tables/desks at the end of the day, I think that's OK. But what else are they doing? You said professionals clean the bathrooms...what about emptying the trash, mopping the floors, cleaning the cafeteria, dusting the bookshelves, washing the windows, etc.?
What's wrong with middle school kids dusting bookshelves for 15 minutes a day?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:26 PM

Anyone get their assignment results yet? We got our first (and only) choice.

I know they never discuss it, but do you think ethnicity plays a part?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:39 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,037 times
No, ethnicity doesn't play a part in it.

We also got our first and only choice for our rising 9th grader. Congrats to you--I'm sure you're breathing easier!

Old 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,108,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
They don't have a cafeteria there, but yes, they dusted, vacuumed, cleaned windows, washed tables, chairs and door knobs. Not sure about mopping since I don't' think they had any floors without carpet, but they also took out the trash! They even used cloth rags and once during the 8th grade, it was your family's turn to wash all the rags and return them. Exploris is a charter school so it's a choice for families to be there but I personally thought it was a great idea and fully supported it while my daughter was a student there.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:54 PM

21 posts, read 23,668 times
I just checked our results and my 3 boys are all on separate feeder patterns. One feeds Athens, one feeds Cary and one feeds Apex. How can this be keeping families together or a proximity plan? My youngest was the one and only applicant to Apex Elementary 4th grade yet didn't get in. How can this be? My middle son applied to Apex Middle and was within the 1.5 mile priority yet didn't get in. Didn't Ms. Peppler say herself that almost all priority 2 got in their first choice. My rising 9th grader also didn't get in. So much for a proximity plan. My 3 boys will be going all over the county.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
No, ethnicity doesn't play a part in it.

We also got our first and only choice for our rising 9th grader. Congrats to you--I'm sure you're breathing easier!
Absolutely! Congrats to you as well! Ours is headed for 9th. I'm just mystified. His brother graduated from there a few years ago, but we don't meet any of the proximity criteria. Odd.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:02 PM

However? We do live about less than half a mile from the current base area for the high school in question, which I assume would make busing easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary