Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 AM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Anyone needing information on how to game the system should contact Debra Goldman.

HA HA HA HA. You just made my friggin day!

Old 02-10-2012, 05:42 AM

I didn't know if this was news to anyone or not, but apparently Panther Creek's freshman class next year will NOT be at the Panther Creek High site but in a leased building in Morrisville. Just FYI.....

Old 02-10-2012, 05:46 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
So theoretically one could rent an apartment in proximity to Davis Drive for a year and then move to Apex and still have their kid going to those schools without applying for the choice feeder? How utterly bizarre!
I know someone who did exactly that in reverse....owned a home in DDE and then sold and rents a bigger house in Apex, but has stayed at DDE. That kind of stuff has apparently been going on for ages, as it's been up to the building principal to decide who can stay.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:56 AM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think the proper statement would be could have rented an apartment in proximity to Davis Drive, enrolled their children in the school this school year, then moved to Apex or Raleigh or Knightdale and still keep them in Davis drive schools (retaining the same feeder pattern) - the parent would be on the hook for transporting them.

I believe the deadline to make that move has since passed (Jan 13, 2012 was the cutoff per FAQ on the choice website).
You're correct that for next year they have that deadline if you are wanting to get into a feeder pattern. But if you are already in that feeder pattern you get to stay.

I think that op was talking about people entering the choice plan this year and in the future. If I am moving here and really want Wakefield schools, I could rent an apartment or house within 1.5 miles of the school so I would be given first priority in the selection rounds. Then once I get Wakefield, I can move anywhere I want and still be on the Wakefield feeder pattern through high school.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:28 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think the proper statement would be could have rented an apartment in proximity to Davis Drive, enrolled their children in the school this school year, then moved to Apex or Raleigh or Knightdale and still keep them in Davis drive schools (retaining the same feeder pattern) - the parent would be on the hook for transporting them.

I believe the deadline to make that move has since passed (Jan 13, 2012 was the cutoff per FAQ on the choice website).
Nope. You can do that anytime this year (or next year, or the year after that...). Change your address in the system and then wait for the next choice period. Apply to DDE and if you get in, you can then move anywhere in Wake County. Your kids can go to DDE, DDMS and Green Hope HS as long as you drive them from then on.

However, the liklihood of getting into that feeder pattern is not very high. So the best time to do it would be right before your kid starts kindergarten. I think the apartment complexes in NW Cary are going to see a lot of 3 month leases at the end of each year. They should jump on that marketing opportunity.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:32 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,986,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I didn't know if this was news to anyone or not, but apparently Panther Creek's freshman class next year will NOT be at the Panther Creek High site but in a leased building in Morrisville. Just FYI.....
I have been advocating for a while (in my head really - not to anyone who cares) that "they" should turn Carpenter ES into a 6th grade or 9th grade center. Green Hope ES, Carpenter ES and Morrisville ES are all within one mile of each other, and I believe Carpenter is underenrolled. Meanwhile, the middle schools and high schools in the area (Mills Park MS, DDMS, GHHS, PCHS) are all at or above capacity.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingMomof2 View Post
I have been advocating for a while (in my head really - not to anyone who cares) that "they" should turn Carpenter ES into a 6th grade or 9th grade center. Green Hope ES, Carpenter ES and Morrisville ES are all within one mile of each other, and I believe Carpenter is underenrolled. Meanwhile, the middle schools and high schools in the area (Mills Park MS, DDMS, GHHS, PCHS) are all at or above capacity.
I agree, esp. since all of Carpenter is clamoring to get out and go to Green Hope since no one wants to be shipped 6-8 miles to East Cary and then back here again for Panther Creek (which isn't even going to be AT Panther Creek for 9th grade).

It would be laughable if I didn't have children it was affecting.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,256 times
Wait wait I thought everyone wanted neighborhood schools? Why would anyone rent an apartment near a great school and then move if everyone wanted neighborhood schools? (I've pretty much always knew the "neighborhood schools" line was bs. It's just interesting that this plan is exposing that fact!)

Old 02-10-2012, 03:08 PM

906 posts, read 2,382,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boocake View Post
Wait wait I thought everyone wanted neighborhood schools? Why would anyone rent an apartment near a great school and then move if everyone wanted neighborhood schools? (I've pretty much always knew the "neighborhood schools" line was bs. It's just interesting that this plan is exposing that fact!)
Actually, I think that what we've seen since this plan went into effect is people wanting to attend their 'neighborhood school'. Absolutely some will game the system but I think most people will want to go to their neighborhood school. Especially now that there will be stability in the plan. I think that instability often led to a downhill trend in some schools. When your dedicated families get moved out of a school, it takes a while for that school to bounce back. And those families might be less inclined to donate time and money at their new school.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighjayne View Post
Actually, I think that what we've seen since this plan went into effect is people wanting to attend their 'neighborhood school'. Absolutely some will game the system but I think most people will want to go to their neighborhood school. Especially now that there will be stability in the plan. I think that instability often led to a downhill trend in some schools. When your dedicated families get moved out of a school, it takes a while for that school to bounce back. And those families might be less inclined to donate time and money at their new school.
There really ISN'T stability when you never know, when moving into a n'hood, if you'll get into a particular school. Even with kindergarteners, though that's your best best. You can ponder a move, like we have, but know that since our kids are already school-aged we'd be relying on a spot to be open in the desired school.

I'm not saying people are playing the system (there will always be those who do), just that I don't think this plan is going to be any more stable than it already was. MY family, for example, has been utterly DEstabilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary