Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
I'm sensing there is an issue over the buyer's/renter's choice where to live. Don't you feel the buyer or renter of both inner city and suburban homes have the same rights when it comes to education/proximity/stability? Was there always X number of schools in the city or did they grow as population did? Shouldn't the same apply to areas away from the city as they grow? This kind of reminds me of the thinking that one section of wake county deserves a tax payer road and the other section deserves to pay for it with tolls.
This doesn't remind me of the toll road situation, though I agree with the rest of what you're saying.

The toll road wouldn't be a toll road if the cities who wanted it had waited for government funding to be available like they did out in North Raleigh. If North Raleigh had refused to wait, they would've had a toll road, too.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:29 PM

149 posts, read 197,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
This doesn't remind me of the toll road situation, though I agree with the rest of what you're saying.

The toll road wouldn't be a toll road if the cities who wanted it had waited for government funding to be available like they did out in North Raleigh. If North Raleigh had refused to wait, they would've had a toll road, too.
I meant the way of thinking of some people not the toll road itself. I get a sense some people think certain parts of the triangle are more deserving than others or more important than others.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
I meant the way of thinking of some people not the toll road itself. I get a sense some people think certain parts of the triangle are more deserving than others or more important than others.
Yeah. That's generally what you get from about Cary/Morrisville out to Holly Springs.

Not criticism of the citizenry. I live in Cary.

Old 07-22-2012, 09:51 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,091,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Fundamentally, if your "DS/DD/DH/DW" just HAS to live out in the middle of brand new developments-ville, because you don't want to live in established neighborhoods where you have the newest Target, and omigosh I have to live in a suburb and not in the heart of Raleigh/Cary/whathaveyou -- you've faced more pressure from reassignment. Interestingly, those neighborhoods have the greatest percentage of relocaters moving in, coming from cities where urban and suburban schools are divided and, gosh, who cares what happens in inner city schools, I moved to Long Island/Framingham/Longwood/Orange County/Loudon to get away from all that!
I don't know what you mean by brand new, but I have a friend in a 35 year old house in an established n'hood wose assignments have been completely turned upside down just this year. I don't think anyone is exempt.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:24 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
I don't know what you mean by brand new, but I have a friend in a 35 year old house in an established n'hood wose assignments have been completely turned upside down just this year. I don't think anyone is exempt.
If it happened this year, wouldn't that be a result of the new plan and not what's been going on for the past couple decades?

Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 PM

26 posts, read 69,924 times
Default wake county school confusion...

My oldest will be starting kindergarten next fall, I am new to Raleigh and cant even begin to wrap my mind around the concept of choices and placement. Is there any way to avoid the "lottery"? Any information would be helpful, I'm completely lost. not to mention I have a yonger child as well. The thought of them going to 2 different locations and being on 2 different schedules or "tracks" is dreadful.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:24 PM

826 posts, read 1,933,097 times
The short answer is no one knows what will happen next year. The choice system from this year is being tweaked and no one knows if there will be base school assignments or a modified choice. If you want to be in the WCPSS school system, there are no guarantees at this moment but hopefully, possibly, maybe more stability coming in the future (as the school board keeps promising). As for your younger child, under the current system, they would get 1st priority for a spot in the school your older sibling is in.

I know it's stressful to think about but it's too early at this point to worry about what might happen. Just keep following the school board to see what happens. Read the WCPSS website multiple times to get a better understanding of the process and read some old threads on here. Or consider private school - the only sure way out of the "lottery."

Old 07-30-2012, 01:29 PM

387 posts, read 638,302 times
First of all, keep breathing! People like to share their terrible stories, but tend to keep quiet when happy, so all in all, it probably isn't as bad as you're imagining. Have you gone to the Wake County district office yet to register your kindergartener? That will be your first step. When you register your child, you will be provided with a list of schools you will need to rank. You may also be given an opportunity to rank magnet schools, but it's less likely you'll be assigned one, I would guess they are all full now. Here's the link for the Wake County guide for Kindergarteners new to the district:
WCPSS: Kindergarten Registration. This will provide you with the information you will need to have available to get registered.
Tracks are only an issue if you are assigned to a year-round school. If you are assigned to a traditional calendar school, then this will not be something you need to worry about. I'm a full believer in not letting things stress me out unless I KNOW I need to stress about it, and I think worrying about tracks before you even know what school you're in falls into that category (remember, keep breathing!). The lottery generally refers to the acceptance process for charter schools where more students apply than there are seats available. When this happens, there's a lottery to select what students are accepted, so each student has an equal chance. If you're referring to the school choice model, where you have to rank schools in order of preference for your child, for the 2012-13 school year, no, there's no way to avoid it.

As far as your younger child being assigned to a different school, starting in the 2013-14 school year, apparently Wake County will be moving back to an assignment model where each address will have a specific school assignment. I say apparently, though, because the plan for those years hasn't been finalized and communicated yet by our current school board. But, they have made it clear that no matter what the assignment model is, each address will have a school assignment. So, the possibility of your children in different schools will likely not happen.

I hope this is a little helpful, and also search this forum, too. There's a lot of us here with kids in Wake County schools, and a huge amount of information about the schools, the assignment plan, and really anything else you might think of. Good luck!

Old 07-30-2012, 02:46 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
when you say next fall - do you mean 2012 or 2013?

as to the younger sibling, they're almost 100% guaranteed to go to the same school and track.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post

as to the younger sibling, they're almost 100% guaranteed to go to the same school and track.

This^^^

I know a LOT of people here. I don't know any whose kids were forced onto different tracks at different schools of the same type (2 kids, 2 elementary schools and/or 2 tracks).

That would actually cost the system MORE money.

I do know people who have kids in elementary and middle who are on slightly different schedules due to how their tracks pan out, but they do just fine and still get family holidays and trips together.

It's really a huge Chicken Little thing, everyone freaking over this.

Nobody's gonna bus someone's 2nd grade kid from Copperleaf over to Southeast Raleigh against their parents wishes and then bus their kindergarten sibling over to Apex or something, thereby causing not only extra expense to the school, but headaches for the parents.

Nope. Not gonna happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary