Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2012, 07:23 PM

146 posts, read 332,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
I agree that I have heard nothing but good things about Wake County Schools as far as a quality education and good teachers. I am even guilty of calling the Wake County School situation a "mess", however, as someone else said its moreso how the media has portrayed the lottery system/redistricting/bussing etc. that is moreso the "mess"...the actual school systems, teachers , education and students... I have heard nothing but good things about.

As usual its the "Chiefs" that are making the mess and the hard working "Indians" (parents, teachers, students)that, through it all, are producing the quality results in spite of it all.
After reading everyone's posts I have to ask; Why and how did this school system get like this?

We just moved to Raleigh four months ago from NY (Long Island). My 6 year old daughter loved her school. But I was told that now she's going to Cary Elemntary because her current school (which is a 3 minute car drive away) is "overcrowded". She's not to please about having to switch shcools AGAIN (3rd time in a 12 month calendar).

Yes the education is great here, but this concerns me because I'm trying to get my 4 year old daughter into Pre-K next year at Adam's Elementary. Will have I have to start beating the the drums and marching now just to have her in a Pre-K class by Next spring/Fall?

Lastly, is their any way that a child can remain at one school from Kindergarten to Fifth Grade?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM

149 posts, read 197,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takealready View Post
After reading everyone's posts I have to ask; Why and how did this school system get like this?

We just moved to Raleigh four months ago from NY (Long Island). My 6 year old daughter loved her school. But I was told that now she's going to Cary Elemntary because her current school (which is a 3 minute car drive away) is "overcrowded". She's not to please about having to switch shcools AGAIN (3rd time in a 12 month calendar).

Yes the education is great here, but this concerns me because I'm trying to get my 4 year old daughter into Pre-K next year at Adam's Elementary. Will have I have to start beating the the drums and marching now just to have her in a Pre-K class by Next spring/Fall?

Lastly, is their any way that a child can remain at one school from Kindergarten to Fifth Grade?
A tangled web was weaved. The school system once upon a time bused students based on race to create diversity in the schools. Then that was made illegal. So then they used the free lunch program as a data source as a surrogate for race with the end goal the same figuring more minorities were using the free lunch program than Caucasians. Once it became obvious that's what they were doing then that was made illegal. Now they have no data source to use but they still want to bus for diversity and are tying to figure out how to do it. Then add in population growth overcrowding schools and it complicates it further. Then add in the school board majority and minority and their supporters and detractors are very political and we end of the the mess that we have. It's no longer about the individual student and the parent. It's about pushing an agenda and it will never end. What will happen is in each election the voters will start throwing out the board members in frustration. This will result in the board swinging from democrat to republican to democrat to republican over and over with each side thinking they have a mandate to do what they want. This won't be the case because it will just be parents getting ticked off and saying we've had enough. It's a soap opera at this point.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:59 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
It was fine before they decided to mess around with it, and we lost a great man in Del Burns.

I was his assistant when he was a vice principal at Enloe back in the 80s. He's a good guy. Fair, decent... cares about students.

I blame this crap on Tedesco and Margiotta.

Jerks.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
It was fine before they decided to mess around with it, and we lost a great man in Del Burns.

I was his assistant when he was a vice principal at Enloe back in the 80s. He's a good guy. Fair, decent... cares about students.

I blame this crap on Tedesco and Margiotta.

Jerks.
Yes. This.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Yes. This.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 AM

146 posts, read 332,362 times
So i guess this means that it's not likely that any child can be in the same school from kindergarten to Fifth grade. Do these school officials not understand the psychology of a child? Do they not understand how stability (even when it comes to what school a child goes to), helps that child grow. If a child changes schools every grade, after a while they'll not want to work hard to keep good grades or make friends because next grade they'll be somewhere else.

Lastly does this system apply to Middle and High School students as well?

Last edited by takealready; 07-18-2012 at 09:07 AM..

Old 07-18-2012, 09:00 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,156,986 times
Default agree

Quote:
So i guess this means that it's not likely that any child can be in the same school from kindergarten to Fifth grade. Do these school officially not understand the psychology of a child? Do they not understand how stability (even when it comes to what school a child goes to), helps that child grow. If a child changes schools every grade, after a while they'll not want to work hard to keep good grades or make friends because next grade they'll be somewhere else.

I agree with you, it seems to apply with all school levels but I might assume that more with elem because of all the young families moving here...

Old 07-18-2012, 09:07 AM

Quote:
So i guess this means that it's not likely that any child can be in the same school from kindergarten to Fifth grade. Do these school officially not understand the psychology of a child? Do they not understand how stability (even when it comes to what school a child goes to), helps that child grow. If a child changes schools every grade, after a while they'll not want to work hard to keep good grades or make friends because next grade they'll be somewhere else.

I have 3 kids who all have been part of WCPSS since they started kindergarten (I'm a native, so I was also).

I will tell you that mine have never been reassigned. Ever.

They've switched schools if we moved far from their old school into a different neighborhood, that sort of thing. But, never been sitting in a house, going to a school, and got yanked into another.

My eldest already graduated. Never happened to him.

My middle kid went all 3 years to the same middle school.

My youngest went to 2 different elementary schools, but only because we moved when she was in 1st grade.

Soo.... I don't think this has ever been a rampant problem. Honestly.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:19 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,114,450 times
My kids were never reassigned either and they are now in high school and middle school. I also don't think it's likely to be a big problem. Even in the last couple of years, most of the reassignments have been during transition years anyway.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:25 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA2MA2NC View Post
The school system once upon a time bused students based on race to create diversity in the schools. Then that was made illegal. So then they used the free lunch program as a data source as a surrogate for race with the end goal the same figuring more minorities were using the free lunch program than Caucasians. Once it became obvious that's what they were doing then that was made illegal. Now they have no data source to use but they still want to bus for diversity and are tying to figure out how to do it. Then add in population growth overcrowding schools and it complicates it further.
Some of this is accurate. There is a long history going back many years. Many folks would date the start of the current round of troubles with the failure of a large bond issue in the late 90s that would have dealt with a lot of the explosive growth Wake County was then experiencing. (Others might actually date it back to the merger of the city and county school systems.)

The disallowed use of free and reduced lunch data for purposes of school assignments was an "after the fact event." The district had already moved away from that after the Republican-majority board was elected, and the Feds later noted that the district had been making improper use of that data.

Busing for diversity is not what's currently driving the assignment woes in Wake County. The current board has not yet re-injected that into the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary