Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM

133 posts, read 331,430 times

Advertisements

The Carolina Copperheads are a football league run out of the Cary/Raleigh area and offer youth football programs for flag, tackle and cheer.

For those that have had kids participate in any of these programs, what was your experience like? How is the league run? How does it compare to other leagues? What issues have you run into - if any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:41 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Our boys played last year (flag). It's a very well run league. They stand by the rules they set forth, especially good sportsmanship. For example the coaches have to go visit the opposing team after a game and make some positive remarks. It's a LOT of work though - we started practice twice a week at the ...end? of August and the season goes right on into November.

We haven't played in any other formal leagues. The boys played in a flag league in NY but it was very casual - the village put together the teams but the kids ran it themselves with a park attendant overseeing it.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:43 PM

I'm asking because this past season was our second with the Copperheads and our experience this past year was not that great for a number of reasons. I'll wait for some additional comments before I expand on that as I was looking to get some different responses and didn't want mine to sway the opinion one way or the other.

I definately agree that it is a lot of work with two practices, a game on the weekend, picture day, punt pass and kick, fund raisers, etc.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:28 PM

Not happy about the fundraiser - forgot about that.

Old 01-24-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Not happy about the fundraiser - forgot about that.
Yea...I could have sworn that their website used to say that the rather steep fee ($175-$200) to play covered everything. (I don't see that on the site now)

Then you have to raise at least $50 in raffle tickets with a lot..a lot of pressure to do so. They also charge for the punt, pass and kick contest, run what I think is pretty expensive picture day and at least in flag football, charge you an additional fee for the playoffs where if the team doesn't pay, they don't play. We paid because I couldn't get other parents to "protest" with me but I regret doing so and we will not play in that league again.

Old 01-24-2012, 02:32 PM

I don't think we did the playoffs - the boys were tired of it by then honestly.

That said, we are most likely going to be back next season for tackle since they'll let our underweighters play down a year.

By the way, the fundraiser is to help pay for the new fields at Gibbons since they use them so much.

Last edited by twingles; 01-24-2012 at 03:13 PM..

Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,543,464 times
It still sounds less restrictive than Pop Warner where we had to sell $100 in raffle tickets, volunteer 15 hrs during the season and pay admission to see the games.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary