Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 06:59 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times

Advertisements

It's not as bad as FL but it's about the same as SC and GA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 03:30 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
They are definitely separate cities with separate identities, but denying that the two are linked as one metro area is just as much of a fallacy as suggesting that Raleigh and Durham are the same exact city. It's quite the nitpicking to tell outsiders that they can't call the Triangle, Raleigh-Durham.
Well the census bureau doesn't think it's one metro Just playing devil's advocate, I think the Census is wrong in splitting the metros, though the Raleigh-Durham thing has always been a huge pet peeve for me as well. Nobody says Grrensboro-High Point and they are in the same county.

The cities do have there own vibe and culture, plus if we are to belive in the Cenus's methodology, they are two distinct metros. Which would mean the people in the Durham metro commute in Durham, and the Raleigh one commute into there. Many people don't commute from Raleigh to Durham. I think what muddies the waters is that people from both commute to RTP, and therein lies the true link.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:17 PM

554 posts, read 1,154,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
I never realized people could hate trees...
I like trees, just not all over my yard I don't like the work raking and picking up branches and clearing gutters, etc. It's not specific to NC for me. We lived under a HUGE oak in the Philly area and had branches falling and damaging the roof constantly.

When we buy a house, trees ar ok, but not over th house. Too many trees also make it impossible to grow a decent veggie garden.

Old 02-06-2012, 04:57 AM

149 posts, read 206,804 times
Worst ... The perception by many transplants and transplants-to-be that there are jobs aplenty here. Like most of the country, this is not "the Promised Land they spoke of". Jobs in once-more-abundant fields, such as manufacturing and technology, are very hard to get for most people, and if you lose yours, it can be extremely hard to get another one like them. Many once-proud-residents in this area have been forced to work in other states and leave their families here, and many have moved everyone entirely ... if they can get a sustainable price for their houses (assessed value, IMO). I should note that this is not an exclusive problem in our area .... just the perception that this is not the case, thanks to certain media outlets.

While some people here imply that the housing market is better, I see only a minuscule uptick in my area. Still, I suppose "miniscule" is better than "none".

Summers. Long and hot. And yes ... buggy. Even with preventative measures and an exterminator program (most people in my area have one come by at least a couple of times a year ... usually more), you have a good chance of getting honking big roaches in your house. And unfortunately, several are not the harmless wood roaches. Oh, and then there there are those mosquitoes ... those can be wicked here.

I agree with those who list the scarcity of good ethnic food (if you're a transplant). HOWEVER, it is not bleak in this area. You just might have to travel a bit or search more thoroughly ... or learn to make your own.

Over-development in certain areas. Developers shoe-horned extra houses in areas where one or two really would have been more appropriate ... and left the mess for us. I remember when we moved here being amazed by the tiny backyards and very close proximity to other houses in many of the properties.

People asking "where are you from" constantly if you have a non-Southern accent, even if you've lived here for many years. I admit I might be sensitive to that, however. I came from a region where you constantly heard different accents, thought nothing of them, and certainly wouldn't have asked people that question. And you were "from" the area you where you now lived, even if your accent showed that you grew up elsewhere.

A shortage of good public transportation city-wide. If you live in the more densely-populated areas, this is less of a problem, but outside, it can be rough. There are many cities in the US that do have adequate transportation serving out-lying areas. Lack of good public transportation to many other cities in NC outside of RDU, though corridors such as Raleigh to Charlotte at least have trains.

Red clay soil ...everywhere!

People who do NOT know how to drive on roads with ice on them (worse here than in many areas), and lack of ice-sanding in many areas (though I guess that does preserve the road better, but ... ) The combo of clueless drivers, icy roads and hills can be treacherous, and yes, I try to avoid travelling under those circumstances whenever possible. But sometimes, it isn't possible.

Good points ...

Spring and Fall. Goodness, they can be beautiful here. And they don't last two weeks.

Lots of good areas to take long walks and enjoy the best of these two seasons. Plenty of opportunities to enrich both body and soul.

Learning that you can make better ethnic dishes that you thought you could, with a bit of trial and error.

If you need or prefer an apartment, this is a great place for you. There are many nice apartments in this area. Some areas of the country are not so apartment-friendly.

Personally, I like the trees. They give some refuge from the sun and heat in summer, and can attract some interesting birds. However, yes ... trimming or removing ones that are dangerously near the house is a great idea.

Milder winters. Enough snow to make that occasional snowman (in most years, anyway), but not so much that you're shoveling the stuff all season.

Good regional food, and farmers' markets to buy ingredients to prepare these dishes yourself, if you so choose.

Crape myrtles. Hardy and attractive.

Last edited by gazania; 02-06-2012 at 05:47 AM..

Old 02-06-2012, 05:18 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
Alright, it's not that anyone hates trees, it's just that urban environments are more suitable to certain people. I don't know how else to explain it.
I'm okay with that. I just don't like it when people who prefer urban environments with no trees come to my home state with all the beautiful trees just to buy cheaper housing and promptly cut down all the trees.

That I do not like.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I dunno why anyone who hates trees would willingly move here.
I hate it when people buy a place here and whip out a chain saw before the moving van pulls out of the driveway. If someone hate trees that bad, just move on down the road to an open lot. I guess some people hate the thought of raking leaves or cleaning up a little mess they might make. Others just might have a bad case of dendrophobia

Old 02-06-2012, 09:21 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Ugh yes, the neighbors behind my parents did that. Cut down 15 trees the first weekend they moved in. Then complained that their backyard got too hot in the summer. Well why the hell do you think the trees were there in the first place?!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:27 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
I hate it when people buy a place here and whip out a chain saw before the moving van pulls out of the driveway. If someone hate trees that bad, just move on down the road to an open lot. I guess some people hate the thought of raking leaves or cleaning up a little mess they might make. Others just might have a bad case of dendrophobia
The trees are generally considered one of the biggest pluses for this area. I'm mystified as to why someone who "prefers a more urban environment" would choose Raleigh as a location in the first place, unless they were transferred here against their will. Even downtown is still not really "urban" by most definitions of that word.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
I haven't read the whole thread but I'll add my two cents from a different perspective since we moved to Texas last summer.

1- The Triangle has an amazing amount of local food options. There are multiple farmers markets in every suburb and online farmers markets (Papa Spuds and Carolina Grown) offering home delivery of anything you can imagine produced at local farms.

2- Please spare me the complaints of hot summers. :-) Until you've been through a Houston summer you haven't seen anything. Raleigh gets just as hot but it's very short lived.

3- Hardly any traffic.

4- Beautiful seasons.

5- Cary is getting ready to allow chickens. The triangle as a whole is a very urban homesteader-friendly area.

Can't think of any more positives right now, but the only thing I complained about when I lived there was the winter. I hate cold weather. But it's all relative. To a northerner that would sound absurd. :-)

The Triangle is an awesome place to live. I'm very homesick.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
3- Hardly any traffic.

These statements always remind of the infamous Francois "Yellow Paint/Red Paint" analogy. Ask anybody from around here and the traffic is the worst thing. It also makes me recall when I took my sister, who though born in NC was raised in NoVa, to the Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores. Traffic was stop and go and crawling down 58. When we finally arrived I apologized for the traffic. She looked at me blankly and responded,"what traffic". She hadn't even noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary