Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2012, 11:56 AM

423 posts, read 1,094,911 times

Advertisements

I think the lack of large companies with good paying jobs for the average person is the biggest drawback for me. I don't work for a university or in the public sector. There are many niche science ones that aren't all that helpful to many of us. I moved here from NJ where Fortune 500 corporate offices were all over the place. I work at one of the few places here that is a corporate office and if I lost my job I don't know if I could find another one like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:46 PM

27 posts, read 56,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
All the people from NJ/NY who complain because it isn't NJ/NY.
This.

Also, those who complain about how bad Raleigh drivers are. What magic part of the country are you from that has better drivers? I've lived almost across the country and bad drivers are in abundance in any large city.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM

487 posts, read 891,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottah112 View Post
This.

Also, those who complain about how bad Raleigh drivers are. What magic part of the country are you from that has better drivers? I've lived almost across the country and bad drivers are in abundance in any large city.
I'm from the UK and I think the drivers are astonishingly bad here. On the highways and interstates, people drift across lanes without signalling, and they have terrible lane discipline (basically, they are left lane hogs).

Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottah112 View Post
What magic part of the country are you from that has better drivers? I've lived almost across the country and bad drivers are in abundance in any large city.
Portland, Oregon. Bigger city, much more dense, not nearly as many aggressive drivers. Oregon thought Cali drivers were "aggressive". The number of tailgaters here even makes Cali drivers seem like they are the mellowest drivers out there.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:49 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
Portland, Oregon. Bigger city, much more dense, not nearly as many aggressive drivers. Oregon thought Cali drivers were "aggressive". The number of tailgaters here even makes Cali drivers seem like they are the mellowest drivers out there.
The aggressive driving is probably due to all the "left lane hogs" (as noted by CHwboy) that ticks everyone else off to the point where they start driving like maniacs.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:06 PM

53 posts, read 88,836 times
I would say the tailgating... Its more of a distracted nature - talking on the phone, zoning out, etc., rather than a rage thing, but still dangerous and downright annoying IMO.

And, a subsequent, and more terrifying reason (I live in a more rural area, I guess) are dogs that are permanently outside, no collars and/or chained up. That and hunting dogs that are let to roam free after their service is up. Makes me sad

The best this I think would be the familiarity that so many people - especially the natives (meant in a good way ) show. You can chat with a person for a few minutes and you feel like you've known them your whole life. Very welcoming, warm and inviting. So much nicer than coming from the opposite, where if people HAVEN'T known you their whole life, want nothing to do with you.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:08 PM

53 posts, read 88,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Hey now, I live in Cary and tonight my husband and I walked to a bar, had a beer, then walked to Trader Joe's and bought stuff to make dinner. We debated then walking to the park with our pup but at that point we were too blitz on Three Buck Chuck to care

Love that evaofnc!! LMAO! I moved from a very walkable area of N. Ral to a very NON-walkable area and miss that! Hubby and I walked home from Sawmill Tap Room many weekends!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:26 AM

1,162 posts, read 2,107,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfolks View Post
The extreme level of local geographic ignorance and the accompanying trash talking.
That could be said for most of NJ...I don't find there is much of a difference in the heat and humidity of NYC in August.

Why does every female in NC have to be on her cell phones while driving? Including one of my daughters. Wish it was banned.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:35 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,602,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
I'm from the UK and I think the drivers are astonishingly bad here. On the highways and interstates, people drift across lanes without signalling, and they have terrible lane discipline (basically, they are left lane hogs).
Agreed. People merge onto the freeway without even looking over their left shoulder. Then they cut across 3 lanes of traffic to get into the fast lane, and then pull out their iPhone to check their emails as they cruise along oblivious to the line of cars backing up behind them.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:21 PM

14 posts, read 43,271 times
The worst thing about this area IMO is it's very hard to make friends. People here are polite, but not all that friendly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary