Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
We'll start having to say our order is for "take-away" instead of "to-go"!
And before you know it, they will start opening NY Pizza joints down here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
And before you know it, they will start opening NY Pizza joints down here!
One can only hope.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:02 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellepro
I love everything about Port Washington, the homes, the people the social and economical diversity. It's a great town to raise a family but it's just become way too expensive to live there. I have already been in touch with a realtor and we plan on visiting in April. I know it won't be up to speed to NY but as long as it's not as slow as Florida, then I might be ok.

I think part of my attraction is that some many YANKEES are moving there - sorry locals but you must adapt with the times...
With patronizing comments like these, it is more and more obvious that OP probably will not be happy here. I still get a definite sense of "When I get there, they'd better change things to accomodate me!" But, she will need to see for herself by visiting.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM

596 posts, read 1,239,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Have you visited the area yet to see if it is in fact for you? If you're "true New Yorkers" as you say, you may find the pace too slow for your tastes and be impatient all the time. It is a very, very suburban area with a small downtown that New Yorkers generally find laughable. The culture scene is interesting and hopping for those of us who are here, but folks from NYC tend to patronizingly sneer at how "provincial" the area is, by their standards. Certainly a decision to move somewhere should be based on more than just a "best places" list.
You said it perfectly ! I agree with you 100 percent being a native NY'er and having lived in Ft. Lauderdale almost 30 years before moving to the Raleigh area almost 5 years ago, still having major adjustment issues, it sometimes gets harder rather than easier to adjust to this area. It's beautiful, but so different in culture.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:11 AM

306 posts, read 436,336 times
There are four things in life that are certain.

1) Death
2) Taxes
3) Dane Cook and Jim Belushi will never be funny.
4) Anyone who ever asks about moving here and does not have their questions and answers in the proper alignment and context will be assailed by the founding members of the Triangle CD Defense Corps.

To the OP I say, come on down, there is still plenty of room and lots of nice people. There are plently of great neighborhoods and the quality of life is fantastic.

I actually can't think of a better place to raise a family.

Some tactics used to try and scare you off will include:

The summer heat....Which actully is not that different from DC.
Bugs....buy a bug zapper, a fly swatter and some spray.
Drivers and Traffic....both are non issues relative to most of the free world.
You may not like it because it isn't like home.....that one could actually be true but only you can decide that.
No good Pizza...I have found plenty.
It's boring and slow....depends on what you're looking for.
I was never hugged as a child....oh wait, that's mine and it really isn't true.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:14 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post

1) Death
2) Taxes
4) Anyone who ever asks about moving here and does not have their questions and answers in the proper alignment and context will be assailed by the founding members of the Triangle CD Defense Corps.

To the OP I say, come on down, there is still plenty of room and lots of nice people. There are plently of great neighborhoods and the quality of life is fantastic.

You may not like it because it isn't like home.....that one could actually be true but only you can decide that.
Oh, Man....

We are less than 6 weeks into 2012, and we may have the best post of the year already...

I wanna hug ya....

Old 02-09-2012, 05:56 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitb05 View Post
One big thing that still bothers me some is how the roads here have no grid system. You can't take the back roads or a different way like you can on LI. You have to take main hwys to get alot of places.
You just haven't learned the back roads yet

Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh, Man....

We are less than 6 weeks into 2012, and we may have the best post of the year already...

I wanna hug ya....
While that post is amusing, the OP has already stated that we all need to prepare to accommodate her and we're probably too slow and dull for her to tolerate us unless we're transplants. C'mon, man. If you weren't in the business of selling houses, would YOU be itching to have someone so negative move to town?

Quite frankly? I have no dog in this race. Living among tolerant people in a very mixed neighborhood here in Cary pretty much guarantees that I won't wind up neighbors with the OP. Still. Honestly.

I do think the OP should come down and explore our humble fiefdom, of course.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:10 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post

1) Death
2) Taxes

Did you read the OP?

Granted? Your post is funny. So was Jim Belushi. I do agree about Dane Cook, though.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:58 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
While that post is amusing, the OP has already stated that we all need to prepare to accommodate her and we're probably too slow and dull for her to tolerate us unless we're transplants. C'mon, man. If you weren't in the business of selling houses, would YOU be itching to have someone so negative move to town?

Quite frankly? I have no dog in this race. Living among tolerant people in a very mixed neighborhood here in Cary pretty much guarantees that I won't wind up neighbors with the OP. Still. Honestly.

I do think the OP should come down and explore our humble fiefdom, of course.
Embrace of Negativity comes in many many guises.
Acceptance of the "right" negativity as gospel is rationalized by personal biases, so some of us attack folks who don't fit our biases.
"The Triangle CD Defense Corps" (I like that as much as the "CD Welcoming Committee!") comes to mind immediately in this context.

Regardless of my profession, which is not relevant to the conversation, I am OK with many folks and their various foibles. "Diversity" and "Tolerance" may mean different things to different people. Do we get to designate the meaning of "Diversity" and "Tolerance" and sit on our definitions to the exclusion of those who do not fit our biases? I hope not.

I really could hardly care less where the OP ends up, LI, NC, Timbuktu or Kalamazoo, as long as she and her family are happy. Is it a weakness that I truly couldn't wish less for any stranger? I hope not.
That I could treat her rudely and slam the door in her face doesn't fit my personal bias of positivity. Actually, what I saw was a series of posts from someone struggling with choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary