Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:45 AM

10 posts, read 14,972 times

Advertisements

Any advice or thoughts of wisdom from anyone who has moved off the Island to Raleigh area. The Island is too expensive and crowded for my comfort. I love the outdoors, hiking, biking, kayaking, good restaurants and cultural events. What is the straight dating-scene like for someone in there forties ? I would appreciate honest feedback. Thank You !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,091,761 times
You can join biking clubs via Meetup.com and find people with similar interests.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:45 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,521 times
Moved from LI in 05 to Wake Forest, about 20 miles North of Raleigh, my advice is to get out and live a more relaxed life down here, I have no regrets on moving.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:07 AM

407 posts, read 966,506 times
I am in the same boat as you, except I am not single and I am in my 50's. I plan on moving from LI in about a year or maybe less. I will be watching this thread, maybe we can both get some good info. I'm looking mainly at Cary so far.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:19 PM

28 posts, read 136,744 times
I know of at least a dozen Long Islanders in Wakefield alone (in Raleigh right next to Wake Forest, actually kind of engulfed by Wake Forest). Almost all say they love it here. One family stayed a few months then moved back.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:04 PM

28 posts, read 71,186 times
I am curious what the draw is to Raleigh, North Carolina - for those who have moved from Long Island, New York? Why North Carolina over other states?

Last edited by stevetrice3000; 10-29-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 10-29-2009, 10:33 PM

35 posts, read 246,445 times
We moved down here over 3 years ago from Nassau County and We LOVE it here. We are in the Cary/Apex area and it is really just beautiful. The cost of linving in regards to food, gasoline, etc are about the same. Homes, real estate taxes and car insurance are much lower than it was when we left NY. My best advice to you is to try to come down and spend a few days here so you can get a better idea what it's all about.

We considered Florida for a long time and made many trips there but it never felt right to us. We came down to NC twice and really felt right at home.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:22 AM

29 posts, read 64,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack kennedy View Post
Any advice or thoughts of wisdom from anyone who has moved off the Island to Raleigh area. The Island is too expensive and crowded for my comfort. I love the outdoors, hiking, biking, kayaking, good restaurants and cultural events. What is the straight dating-scene like for someone in there forties ? I would appreciate honest feedback. Thank You !!
I am no expert on dating patterns (though downtown Raleigh superficially appears to have developed a singles social scene in recent years) but all the outdoor activities that you mention are readily available in Raleigh, Durham or Chapel Hill. As a recent transplant from Maryland I find the Chapel Hill area a pleasant mixture of sophisticated College town and rural lifestyle without the density and congestion of urban life further north, though living costs are not as cheap as one might expect and parking in Chapel Hill is virtually impossible (hence the free bus service).

Old 10-30-2009, 06:15 PM

441 posts, read 1,291,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetrice3000 View Post
I am curious what the draw is to Raleigh, North Carolina - for those who have moved from Long Island, New York? Why North Carolina over other states?
If you where on LI there is a lot of talk about this area. The cost of living is greatly reduced through tax's, average property tax on LI is around 8000 + for a very simple home, very high energy costs. I think the real reason is that most LIer's come here and look and see that this area looks like LI when they where a child and want the same for their children, a more simpler life with no BS. Wake Forest looks like the same town I grew up in back in the 70's and 80's. and I miss that.

Old 10-31-2009, 06:58 AM

25 posts, read 62,762 times
We are moving from the North Shore of Long Island to Chapel Hill. We did a careful study of areas we would want to move to and Chapel Hill hit the mark.

Our costs will go down substantially (more than 1/2) both in shedding our 7 figure home with twenty something in taxes along with the second highest costs of utility in the county. We're fortunate in that we will be able to produce the same income or more in NC as we do in NY.

However, the biggest plus for us is lifestyle and I'm certain that you might have already found that as well. Living on the North Shore of Long Island isn't always easy. It's often a competitive environment and we don't find people friendly here. We used to wave and smile a lot to people but after you don't receive these things back you stop.

We don't want to stop, we want to live in a place where people are friendly and kind to each other. Of course, we know that not everyone is friendly but it appears to us that when we are in Chapel Hill most everyone we met was friendly. There was no beeping horns and people seemed to be in less of a hurry. Living here is like living on a treadmill.

We're thrilled to be moving in just about 8 months - We're coming down in a few weeks to figure out a community and look at homes. Chapel Hill here we come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary