Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 07:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlepieceofheaven View Post
Hi there! We live in Boston and will soon have to move to NC as our jobs are being shifted to RTP...
I went through many forums and have realized that Cary comes most recommended in terms of basic needs like good schools, safety, family feel neighborhoods and generally close to RTP and as a good area to live... coming from boston we are used to crowd and fast paced life so we dont mind that...My question is which area/district in Cary is good, school district being the first criteria, .. Any suggestions will help us begin the search...Many thanks..

<*ahem*>

Yet another thread that's gone off-track. Yes, schools are important, but that's not the ONLY thing the OP is asking about -- and s/he is NOT asking for a comparison of NC schools vs. Boston schools.

Let's please get back to the topic and leave the "competition" to the City vs. City forum.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2012, 12:47 PM

182 posts, read 386,581 times
don't you think it's useful for someone who

a.) asks about Wake schools ( "My question is which area/district in Cary is good, school district being the first criteria" ),

b) who is then told "you'll be disappointed" by someone from somewhere else,

c.) to be told first hand about how and where to find very high succss in public schools here ?

d.) particularly when compared to spending anywhere from $5,000 - $20,000 per year for a private school, as much as $250,000 ?

I though the purpose of this forum was to inform people. admittedly I'm very partisan when it comes to Wake County schools but I see it as a severe disservice to see somebody severely misinformed, especially when the question is about spending an enormous sum on private schools due to being misinformed

seems directly on track to me. I'm afraid I don't understand

Last edited by ApexWolfpacker; 02-26-2012 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 01:36 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,838,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexWolfpacker View Post
seems directly on track to me. I'm afraid I don't understand
Then you need to re-read the comments on the previous page, many of which have nothing to do with local schools -- or even Boston schools.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:59 PM

got it

Old 02-27-2012, 07:09 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
Quote:

If I were a transplant working at RTP, I would get on 540 east and drive home to North Raleigh.
Ugh I wouldn't. 540 traffic is awful during rush hour. At least with Cary/Morrisville/Apex you have tons of back road options for getting home from RTP. And moving to North Raleigh isn't going to solve school assignment issues. It's still Wake County.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Ugh I wouldn't. 540 traffic is awful during rush hour. At least with Cary/Morrisville/Apex you have tons of back road options for getting home from RTP. And moving to North Raleigh isn't going to solve school assignment issues. It's still Wake County.
I don't know - I find I-540 traffic much better than I-40 traffic heading toward parts of Cary. Not that I drive on I-540 much: I live north of I-540 and find taking backroads into RTP gives me a nice, stress-free 15 minute commute during rush hour .

Old 02-27-2012, 07:24 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,158,302 times
The traffic on 540 is much worse imo. At least when I see traffic is starting to get backed up on 40 I can take any exit between Airport Blvd and Wade and still get home at a normal time. Whenever I go visit friends in Wakefield or Capital after work I feel like I'm in a time warp.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
<*ahem*>

Yet another thread that's gone off-track. Yes, schools are important, but that's not the ONLY thing the OP is asking about -- and s/he is NOT asking for a comparison of NC schools vs. Boston schools.

Let's please get back to the topic and leave the "competition" to the City vs. City forum.

Thanks.
agree. the question is what to do in NC, where the OP actually is now. beyond that the question is less about how a school performs by some overall statistic but how it performs for each individual student or category of students. Wake Co. has a range of options from typical schools, to year round, magnet, special programs within a school, all sorts of charters and big and small Christian and non-religious private schools. I guess you could throw home schooling in there as well, and we've met kids who've doen very well with that option

the point being a parent needs to dig in and do some research based on their particular child.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:02 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
The traffic on 540 is much worse imo. At least when I see traffic is starting to get backed up on 40 I can take any exit between Airport Blvd and Wade and still get home at a normal time. Whenever I go visit friends in Wakefield or Capital after work I feel like I'm in a time warp.
I think you and rfb have a disconnect on what 'North Raleigh' is versus Wake Forest direction.

Wakefield is 'across the lake' which I consider to be more Wake Forest than North Raleigh. Yes -- this does get backed up on Capital Blvd.

The traffic on 540 can get slow but is certainly manageable and rfb is correct -- you can really get off of 540 at any time and travel the back roads into the North Raleigh area.

If you are headed up 'across the lake', then there are only a few bridges and roads to get there -- which can get jammed up. Although, I am happy to report that the Falls of Neuse backups seem to have eased with the new bridge opening up.

In any event -- I can second that it is pretty quick to get to RTP from 'North Raleigh' area using backroads and/or 540. and if you travel rte 98, then you can get to Wake Forest without dealing with 540/Capital.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,874,126 times
evaofnc - sorry have to disagree with you. I've driven the I-40 route and just about any you think of in the yrs I've lived here. i now take 540 every single day from Knightdale to Durham and it's a good route. And, we are talking of North Raleigh rather than Wakefield which, while technically is in Raleigh, is across the street from Wake Forest. The North Raleigh that I was thinking of for the OP was anything between the beltline and 540 as well as immediately north of 540 rather than as far as Wakefield. They could be home within 5-10 minutes of 540. Although, there are so many back roads routes around these areas, too numerous to mention, one wouldn't have to go on 540 or even 40 if they didn't want to. you can take Alexander to 70, to Brier Creek or North and NW Raleigh and be there in 20 minutes.

My thoughts on suggesting N Raleigh are that ppl looking to move here often seem to think Cary is the only place that has everything and is the perfect place for everyone. While Cary is very nice, (my daughter loves living there) they often overlook many other areas that would work just as well and perhaps wouldn't be as expensive or, for the same price, would be closer to or in Raleigh which would give them a different flavor of the area - older established mom and pop stores, more malls, more recreation opportunities, etc. Cary as it is now, is a relatively new place - lots of new build. Raleigh feels very different.

I think it's important to share with folks outside this area that there are many options and not just Cary and Clayton which seems to be all folks in other states hear about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary