Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 11:16 AM

148 posts, read 676,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Yup, I go with Valentine's day, too, for my spring fertilizer and crabgrass pre-emergent.

A local lawn care expert once gave me this easy to remember schedule for fertilizing based on holidays. I've stuck to it since.

Valentine's Day (+crabgrass)
Memorial Day (+weed/insect control)
Labor Day (+insect control)
Thanskgiving (winter fertilizer)
This is the schedule we use for all our clients with fescue grass, you can still put down a pre-emergent now but particularly with the warmer weather this year it is already 2-3 weeks past maximum effectiveness....

If you have a warm weather grass like bermuda, add a high nitrogen application in July. Also, be aware that how you fertilize fescue is different than bermuda. For instance the February application for fescue would be a 17-0-6 w/ preemergent while you would use a 0-0-9 w/preemergent for bermuda. It is important not to apply nitrogen(the first number) to a dormant warm weather grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 12:00 PM

371 posts, read 1,219,035 times
Our grass is Fescue and our law maintenance guys (TruGreen) did the pre-emergent on 2/13

Old 03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I put my first round down last weekend and I feel like I was maybe 10 days late.
Another round in May.
As soon as my Bermuda is about 75% greened up I will cut it very low and begin my monthly nitrogen regimen (1 lb. of N per 1000 sf of turf per month).
I was thinking about going the same route this year - what brand of fertilizer will you be using and where do you get it?

Old 03-01-2012, 02:08 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I was thinking about going the same route this year - what brand of fertilizer will you be using and where do you get it?
I don't use a branded fertilizer. I use 34-0-0 (basically it is ammonium nitrate). Last time I bought it was from Family Home and Garden near the Fairgrounds. It's cheap, too.

The key is to water it in thoroughly, otherwise it could burn a little.

My first Cary home had Bermuda. My current home was built with Fescue but I switched over to Bermuda last summer after 4 summers of throwing time, money, and water at the Fescue. This will be my first ful season with the new sod and I can't wait to get it going. I am a pretty big lawn geek.

Google a document called the Bermuda Bible, written by a guy whose internet handle is "texas-weed". He used to own a sod farm. Follow his instructions and your Bermuda will thrive.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:15 PM

3,050 posts, read 4,994,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I don't use a branded fertilizer. I use 34-0-0 (basically it is ammonium nitrate). Last time I bought it was from Family Home and Garden near the Fairgrounds. It's cheap, too.

The key is to water it in thoroughly, otherwise it could burn a little.

My first Cary home had Bermuda. My current home was built with Fescue but I switched over to Bermuda last summer after 4 summers of throwing time, money, and water at the Fescue. This will be my first ful season with the new sod and I can't wait to get it going. I am a pretty big lawn geek.

Google a document called the Bermuda Bible, written by a guy whose internet handle is "texas-weed". He used to own a sod farm. Follow his instructions and your Bermuda will thrive.
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I have tried to follow directions for Bermuda before but I have found that the typical products available at Lowes, etc, don't sync up with what is required. Will definitely check out Family Home and Garden.

Old 03-01-2012, 03:40 PM

441 posts, read 1,292,050 times
Thanks for the heads up all, stopped on the way home and purchased a bag and just finished putting it down.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:13 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,816,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
Thanks a lot. Yeah, I have tried to follow directions for Bermuda before but I have found that the typical products available at Lowes, etc, don't sync up with what is required. Will definitely check out Family Home and Garden.
You can't get what you need for Bermuda at Big Boxes.

Your pre-emergent shouldn't have any fertilizer in it and the only way to get enough nitrogen with a "brand" is by putting down other things that your lawn doesn't need or want. The other option is Lesco, but none of the local Lesco retailers stock the fertilizer I want to use. I'd love to find some 39-0-0 so I could put down less product-I may end up at Agri Supply in Garner if they have it.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:10 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by candlegirl View Post
We use John Deere(Lesco) pre-emergent for all our clients every year. Put down a 0-0-7 with either Stonewall or Barricade, makes a nice barrier for 8-12 weeks.

Zoysia here.

Our turf company put down Stonewall Pre-emergent plus 0-0-7 fertilizer today.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:30 PM

136 posts, read 435,727 times
Check out the turf files at NC State's website for some good information: TurfFiles - Turfgrass Information for North Carolina

I have tall fescue, would prefer Zoysia but have a big yard and the cost to covert is too high. I use a balanced fertilizer recommended by NC State, usually 16-4-8. The phosphorus and potassium promotes root development, building a tougher grass that can go deeper for water whereas straight nitrogen just greens it up.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:27 PM

932 posts, read 3,097,981 times
I just bought some today to put down tomorrow. I've also always heard to do it when the Forsythia's bloom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary