Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 06:12 PM

13 posts, read 36,005 times

Advertisements

I'm in a small town in Fl with limite job prospects. The various media surveys rate Raleigh very high. Business Week rates Raleigh as the #1 city in the country. kiplingers rates Raleigh high every year. I would be moving without a job and open to do a variety of work just to start. How is the economy now in Raleigh. It seems like a very vibrant area from what I've read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 06:25 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,259,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M311 View Post
I'm in a small town in Fl with limite job prospects. The various media surveys rate Raleigh very high. Business Week rates Raleigh as the #1 city in the country. kiplingers rates Raleigh high every year. I would be moving without a job and open to do a variety of work just to start. How is the economy now in Raleigh. It seems like a very vibrant area from what I've read.
Keep reading. The Triangle is still in a holding pattern. Wait to see if the state cuts more positions in MArch when the budget is announced.
Moving here without a job or PROSPECTS of a skilled job will probably lead to aimless wandering and on line applications for months.
Best to search for a job before moving anywhere.
There are many universities here with students and graduates with degrees working at Wally World and serving fries with that coke at Mickey D's for minimum wage.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,243,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Moving here without a job or PROSPECTS of a skilled job will probably lead to aimless wandering and on line applications for months. Best to search for a job before moving anywhere.
I agree with this post. You should move to where you find employment in this economy.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 AM

1,311 posts, read 2,943,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M311 View Post
What exactly does a "wide variety of work" mean? You could probably find hourly, fast-food type jobs all day long but if you are in a more specialized field, that could be a challenge. As the other posters have already said, find work first, wherever that may be.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,171,035 times
Raleigh does not live up to the media hype. There are already thousands of recent transplants here looking for work in this "promised land". There were still more layoffs and closures last year than there were new jobs....and that trend isn't going to correct overnight.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:19 AM

109 posts, read 105,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Raleigh does not live up to the media hype. There were still more layoffs and closures last year than there were new jobs....and that trend isn't going to correct overnight.
I don't think your math is right. According to your statement, Raleigh would have sustained a net job loss. That is not the case. There was a net job increase.

2. Raleigh, N.C. | Forbes: The 10 Best Cities For Young Adults | Comcast.net

"Average Annual Job Growth (2010-2012): 2 percent

The college town has one of the best job growth projections of any city we assessed and the 16th best average salary for young professionals, exceeded only by markedly more expensive cities."

Old 01-02-2012, 12:06 PM

569 posts, read 1,979,721 times
Average annual job growth of 2% sounds OK until you look at the average annual population growth of around 4%. Also, calling Raleigh/Cary a "college town" shows what kind of article you get from a NY writer sitting in his office and doing nothing but examining one set of statistics.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:35 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,482,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffs555 View Post
Average annual job growth of 2% sounds OK until you look at the average annual population growth of around 4%. Also, calling Raleigh/Cary a "college town" shows what kind of article you get from a NY writer sitting in his office and doing nothing but examining one set of statistics.
I would definitely call Raleigh a college town with what, 6 schools in the area including several big name ones? Go to any professional's office, practically every single one has a diploma from a local school.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 PM

567 posts, read 959,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Raleigh does not live up to the media hype. There are already thousands of recent transplants here looking for work in this "promised land". There were still more layoffs and closures last year than there were new jobs....and that trend isn't going to correct overnight.
This is completely correct. As someone suggested, move where you get a job.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:50 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,246,684 times
I'd be very interested in the link to information saying there was a net job loss in Raleigh last year. To my knowledge, there was a net job gain, and a slight reduction in unemployment, despite the employee base/job pool enlarging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary