Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 10:36 AM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
There's actually more than one Freecycle group in the Triangle -- have you tried the Cary Freecycle group? It's listed as not moderated.
Thanks Dark!!! But where do you see that is says 'not moderated'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 12:35 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,812 times
my HOA has a facebook page for selling things. If you belong to an HOA see if they have something similar on FB. Otherwise, maybe start a page. You would be giving (or selling) directly to your neighbors.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:47 PM

276 posts, read 648,747 times
I was just going to say use Facebook! Post on your wall (or Timeline or whatever it is now) that you have X and X and X to give away, and surely some friends will want it. At least that seems to work with the college and 20s crowd.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,836,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
Thanks Dark!!! But where do you see that is says 'not moderated'?
I searched Yahoo Groups and that's what it says on the results page:

Old 10-20-2012, 12:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,954 times
I was actually searching for this too. I was thinking.. maybe it's time for a Wake County freebies facebook page. ;-)

Old 10-20-2012, 08:05 AM

305 posts, read 761,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Heh yeah I had them deny some of my posts because they decided landscaping plants aren't Freecycle worthy I'm also curious if there are similar swap boards for the area that aren't so anal retentive.
For plants specifically, check out the Carolina Gardening Exchange forum on GardenWeb: Gardening in the Carolinas - GardenWeb

Would love to see a less regimented alternative to FreeCycle, too!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:20 PM

19 posts, read 26,034 times
Have to agree about the Freecycle moderators in this area being little crazy dictators with no sense. It really is a shame, because I have used it so much before I moved down here but they seem to just make up rules for the fun of it. I live minutes from Southpoint Mall, yet they would INSIST that I list my streets *instead* of the mall for location information. Like anyone is going to know the street names in my development versus just "near southpoint mall". And then their refusal to let me post or even JOIN the list for the county that I live right next to, just because I am across the line in another county. Seriously they really are too much.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-18-2016 at 02:37 PM..

Old 10-23-2012, 11:30 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
I have put things out at the end of my driveway or on the corner of the community development with a sign "Free" all items were gone within the hour....oh and smaller items, I bring into my office in a box with a sign "Free" place the box in the company cafeteria or break area...again, gone within an hour or so...

Old 10-23-2012, 11:48 AM

342 posts, read 872,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susurrously View Post
I was actually searching for this too. I was thinking.. maybe it's time for a Wake County freebies facebook page. ;-)
There actually is one on FACEBOOK.

It is called:

Wake County Barter/Trade or Free

Old 10-23-2012, 04:58 PM

276 posts, read 648,747 times
I just heard about this cool movement called Give500. It's where you make a commitment to give away 500 things. I read about it in a blog called Joyful Abode. Anyway, the author suggests having a "Yard Give" instead of a yard sale. Basically set up like a regular yard sale, but everything is free. I think it sounds like a great idea! You're clearing up your own clutter and also helping out friends, neighbors, and strangers. Neato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary