Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Some drivers penalized for not having toll-billing electronic transponders for trips on a zero-toll section of the 540 Outer Loop, others for mismounted transponders that aren’t reading properly.

read more Road Worrier: TriEx transponder problems take toll on drivers - Road Worrier - NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:35 AM

1,215 posts, read 1,809,588 times
I just read this. Makes me want to go get ours checked out before the stretch between 55 and 54 starts tolling!

Old 05-01-2012, 08:22 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Quote:
An NC Quick Pass employee tests Mike Fox's sticker because he received a letter saying the toll was unable to read it. Mike came to the service center on Monday April 30, 2012 to fix the problem. They scanned his sticker, determined it to be defective, issued a new one, scanned again, and it still did not work. They suggested an external transponder but Mike didn't think it was worth the $25.
Yeah.... if they told me that the stickers weren't working and I needed to get an external transponder, you better believe they wouldn't be charging me $25 for their problem. I think it's bs they charge for them anyway. I don't remember having to pay for mine in NJ.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:10 AM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,916 times
Still hate that NC went down this path.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:03 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
First, the agency sent baffling bills to hundreds of its non-customers, telling them they owe nothing for driving on part of the 540 Outer Loop that is not under toll – yet.

Next, the Turnpike Authority tacked late fees and $25 civil penalties onto bills sent to other drivers using the Triangle Expressway, telling them they’d better pay promptly – even for toll bills of less than $1.

These mailings were marketing messages. Their intent was to sell transponders to drivers who had been identified by photos of their license plates. The agency basically told them: If you open an account and stick one of our N.C. Quick Pass transponders on your windshield, these hassles will go away.

Read more here: Road Worrier: TriEx transponder problems take toll on drivers - Road Worrier - NewsObserver.com
That's pretty lame! I'm glad I'm not bothering with the small section that I could possibly drive on.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
So where is the toll going to start on 540? Will it be after the 54 exit or before?

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Yeah.... if they told me that the stickers weren't working and I needed to get an external transponder, you better believe they wouldn't be charging me $25 for their problem. I think it's bs they charge for them anyway. I don't remember having to pay for mine in NJ.
EZPass gave them out for free when they started the program. I remember getting a bumper-mounted one much later and they charged me; I was shocked!

We have a car that we bought here in NC and it has NO PLACE to mount a front license plate, or a transponder or anything else. Luckily I know the windshield mounted transponder works in that car. But it's somethng to think about in a state where we don't have front tags.

Also, I was going to get a sticker transponder for the rare trips we might make on the tolled section, but their own website says the transponder chip will be damaged if you remove from the windshield - I'm sorry but that is really dumb. Half the people probably ruined their while mounting them and trying to adjust them.

I'll get a hardcase one when it becomes compatible with EZPass.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:44 PM
WDJ

286 posts, read 789,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
So where is the toll going to start on 540? Will it be after the 54 exit or before?
After the 54 exit.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:43 AM

804 posts, read 2,004,659 times
does anybody know if they ever intend to make this compatible with EZpass? given the number of northeastern transplants in the area it would seem to make sense for them to use it rather then this system which appears to be incompatible with most toll systems.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:49 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
does anybody know if they ever intend to make this compatible with EZpass?
See this article dated March 14 from Toll Road News (y'all subscribe, don't you?):
Quote:
PJ Wilkins, executive director of the E-ZPass Group told us they are aiming to be in a position to accept North Carolina Turnpike Authority as the first E-ZPass Affiliate by July or August. To be accepted toll agencies have to meet the E-ZPass Group's established standards for read rates and accuracy.
E-ZPass group announces offer of Affiliate membership to push interoperability (ADDITIONS) | TOLLROADSnews
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary