Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:52 AM

37 posts, read 61,562 times

Advertisements

I am considering a relo to Cary, buying a home, and looking for a job in the area. I'm single, at the cusp of retirement age but will need to work at least for a few years. Carolina Preserve 55+ community appeals to me b/c of the amenities, e.g, I swim daily & I'd love having the indoor pool within easy reach! But I'd love to know if folks are happy living there; have there been any problems with the builder; any disappointments with the community; etc., etc.! Any info at all would be helpful. Resale vs. new is also puzzling for me since the builder is offering nice incentives for a new, to-be-built home. Comments welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
I think it is a "love/hate" lifestyle to a point. Perfect for many, and not for others.
But, it is such a popular and successful community, it is difficult to doubt it.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:59 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,853,584 times
Interesting...if you're on the "cusp" of retiring, don't you think you'll have a difficult time finding a job? Unless you don't need the income, I would think that would be pretty risky because, no matter where in this country, older people have a very hard time finding jobs.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:29 PM

699 posts, read 1,706,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie800 View Post
I am considering a relo to Cary, buying a home, and looking for a job in the area. I'm single, at the cusp of retirement age but will need to work at least for a few years. Carolina Preserve 55+ community appeals to me b/c of the amenities, e.g, I swim daily & I'd love having the indoor pool within easy reach! ... Comments welcome.
If your primary requirement for a home in the area is a year round pool, you may want to consider a neighborhood close to the the Triangle Aquatic Center.

Another thing you may want to consider is finding a job first and then looking for a home. Probably a lot easier to find a home once you've found a job then vice versa, particularly if you are near retirement age.

I see you've just recently joined City Data. I would suggest a quick search through the various move-to-Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill/Cary threads, where you will see a common theme of first find a job, then rent for awhile to discover what areas/neighborhoods suit you before buying.

Anyway, good luck on your adventure.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:03 PM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Annie, we are also considering the Preserves. Have a look at this thread. At the bottom of the pages of that thread, there are several others on CP

Carolina Preserve question

Old 02-10-2012, 03:42 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,428,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Annie, we are also considering the Preserves. Have a look at this thread. At the bottom of the pages of that thread, there are several others on CP

Carolina Preserve question
Actually, I started that thread. After multiple visits and a great deal of deliberation, we decided against Carolina Preserve. We're just not ready for living in a 55+ community. We already live in Cary and love where we now live. We're in a walkable community and CP is off the beaten path for us. Carolina Preserve is a large community - too large my taste but we've met lots of residents who absolutely love living there. The clubhouse is incredible and a huge draw. Best of luck on your decision.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,057,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie800 View Post
I am considering a relo to Cary, buying a home, and looking for a job in the area. I'm single, at the cusp of retirement age but will need to work at least for a few years. Carolina Preserve 55+ community appeals to me b/c of the amenities, e.g, I swim daily & I'd love having the indoor pool within easy reach! But I'd love to know if folks are happy living there; have there been any problems with the builder; any disappointments with the community; etc., etc.! Any info at all would be helpful. Resale vs. new is also puzzling for me since the builder is offering nice incentives for a new, to-be-built home. Comments welcome.
We considered Carolina Preserve when we first retired here. I would suggest there is a much broader question for you and that is the concept of Active 55 communities in general. Once you have a good read on that topic the individual community pro and con can be seen more clearly. I would suggest you participate in the retirement forum and get to know the thinking of folks there about retire living/housing/communities and relocation. Lots of feedback on active 55+ both pro and con. Remember the + is there for a reason. The build quality of the housing is a very valid point for you to consider. When the housing market crashed the ability of seniors to cash out equity and transplant took a big hit. Builders in communities like CP had buyers both before and after the crush and had to build more affordable housing in order to survive. How did it become affordable and was it really over priced previously?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,860,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The build quality of the housing is a very valid point for you to consider. When the housing market crashed the ability of seniors to cash out equity and transplant took a big hit. Builders in communities like CP had buyers both before and after the crush and had to build more affordable housing in order to survive. How did it become affordable and was it really over priced previously?
I don't see anything in that statement that would not apply to ANY community in the US at this point. Certainly, it's true in Phoenix, AZ, where I live. But maybe I'm missing your point?

Old 02-10-2012, 10:54 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
My parents live there and LOVE it. My mom uses the pool almost every day. Dad uses the gym. Honestly, can't beat that clubhouse. They take advantage of all the amenities there, go on trips, etc.My parents are well into their retirement though - I'm not sure what the average age is over there, but I know they do have friends that still work.

There are pros and cons. There is a lot of "busy-body" stuff that goes on, probably more with the older population over there Doesn't seem to bother my parents but my dad can be a real busybody himself!

They have been in their house a little over 2 years. They've had no issues with the construction - one small roof leak (they are in a ranch) and the builder came right back and fixed it - that's it. They were very very happy with the guy who oversaw their homesite, I think it may be roll of the dice based on who is in charge.

We are happy they are there because it keeps them busy, the house is all one level which they need, and even though we are nearby, we know all the people over there ultimately keep an eye on each other.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Actually, I started that thread. After multiple visits and a great deal of deliberation, we decided against Carolina Preserve. We're just not ready for living in a 55+ community. We already live in Cary and love where we now live. We're in a walkable community and CP is off the beaten path for us. Carolina Preserve is a large community - too large my taste but we've met lots of residents who absolutely love living there. The clubhouse is incredible and a huge draw. Best of luck on your decision.
L...did you find that most folks are well over the 55 age group? It just seems that often when I take my clients out there, the folks we see are a bit older! I find that my clients in their 50s just aren't ready for that lifestyle YET. you know, the 50s are the new 40s!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary