Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:20 PM

201 posts, read 1,003,592 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a house between 1600-2000 sq ft under $200K in the Knightdale, Raleigh, Wake Forest, Garner and Clayton areas (within 35 min from RTP). We want a decent amount of y yard (not .10 an acre with houses crammed together) but a neighborhood new enough for there to be kids in 5 years when mine come along . And of course a safe neighborhood where kids can play and safe for walking and riding bikes, and convenient to major highways. Any suggestions? Perhaps you can suggest your own subdivision? I have been reallly trying to figure out where the good neighborhoods are but it can be hard to tell . Please help!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 05:50 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadjalou View Post
We're looking for a house between 1600-2000 sq ft under $200K in the Knightdale, Raleigh, Wake Forest, Garner and Clayton areas (within 35 min from RTP). We want a decent amount of y yard (not .10 an acre with houses crammed together) but a neighborhood new enough for there to be kids in 5 years when mine come along . And of course a safe neighborhood where kids can play and safe for walking and riding bikes, and convenient to major highways. Any suggestions? Perhaps you can suggest your own subdivision? I have been reallly trying to figure out where the good neighborhoods are but it can be hard to tell . Please help!!!
This is just my opinion, but I don't think there are many places in Knightdale or Clayton that enjoy a 35 commute to RTP. Maybe if you work off hours like 7-4 and can avoid most of the traffic, but even then I think it is a stretch. I do like those areas and they offer great housing options at more affordable prices, but I wouldn't put the commute in the (+) column if you plan to work in RTP.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
I live in Falls River, which is just beyond your pricepoint. The area around there is great, and a neighborhood just across Durant Rd. is Durant Trails. It's probably pushing the $200k range in some cases, but the homes are generally from the 80s and 90s, and it has outstanding access to I-540, shopping, and a greenway that leads to Durant Nature Park with some nice hiking and mountain biking trails. On a nice day, there are always many children riding on the greenway or playing in the creek that runs along beside it. For a sense of how the homes look in Durant Trails, I'd suggest checking the sticky thread w/ pics and look at Woodcroft in Durham. The homes are quite similar, as are the trees! Good luck.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:14 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,102,359 times
You can try my subdivision, Irongate in Cary. It's a 15 minute communte to RTP, central Cary location, 2 minutes to I 40, 15 minutes to downtown Raleigh, 1 mile from the Cary mall, sidewalks, family friendly, homes are in your size and price range and most lots are .3-.4 acres. The homes are older homes though, no new houses, most built in the 70's. Ranches and split levels.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 AM

324 posts, read 1,285,376 times
I'm looking for exactly the same thing! Less than 35-40 minute commute to RTP & NC State, less than 200k, greater than .1 crammed acres, preferably .27-.33 standard size though more would be nice but probably unattainable in the city, 1600-2000sq ft is exactly our hopes as well. I'm also holding out hope the home could have an open floor plan but that might have to wait until the next move. Preferably no HOA or very low fees.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,056,984 times
Nadjalou, what you've described sounds just like my neighborhood ... except I live in southern Durham.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ft-durham.html

Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 PM

62 posts, read 258,307 times
If you could manage in the low 200's check out the Lee Forest Subdivision in Clayton. It's right off Guy Road off HWY 70. There are currently 5 houses available between 210K and 215K) right now. These are brand new homes, built by Scott Lee Homes, and they are on nice wooded lots that range from around 1/4 to 1/2 acres. They are very attractive homes with nice upgrades (hardwoods in entry, dining, kitchen, crown molding, wainscoting in dining room). Lots of kids and very nice families here. The location is great for commuting, it's in the N/W area of Clayton so you'd be just minutes from 40, but i might take a little longer than 35 minutes depending on what time of the day you are traveling. My husband commutes to Lake Crabtree area in Cary (EXIT 287) and it takes him 25 minutes although this is at 9:00 am- he misses much of the traffic. We've been here less than 1 month but we love it so far. Good luck!

Oh, one more thing; the subdivision is not in the Clayton City Limits, so your property taxes would be lower (.83 % for every $100 of house value) than most other areas.

Again, Good Luck!

Last edited by Lynn38; 09-27-2007 at 04:03 PM..

Old 09-27-2007, 05:51 PM

36 posts, read 112,111 times
Nadjalou

You can try my neighborhood: Glen Laurel in Clayton off 42 East. Not so sure about 35 minute to RTP. But the neighborhood is absolutely gorgeous. Somebody in this forum said it looks like a subdivision in the desperate housewife show. I assume that's is a compliment.

There is mile of walking path, club house with swimming pool and tennis court. Golf course house can be had for 250's.

I just love to live here.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukkha2 View Post
Nadjalou

You can try my neighborhood: Glen Laurel in Clayton off 42 East. Not so sure about 35 minute to RTP. But the neighborhood is absolutely gorgeous. Somebody in this forum said it looks like a subdivision in the desperate housewife show. I assume that's is a compliment.

There is mile of walking path, club house with swimming pool and tennis court. Golf course house can be had for 250's.

I just love to live here.
That is a great neighborhood, especially for the price! They do well from an inspectors standpoint also.
To the original poster: Holly Springs has alot of what you want....except the lots tend to be .10-.25 in that price range.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:05 PM

850 posts, read 3,625,481 times
We live in the Tafton S/D in Clayton. We're called Wendell but we're Clayton schools and it IS Johnston County with the mail farmed out to Wendell. There is talk now of incorporating the town to control growth locally....if it happens, we'll be named Archer's Lodge (which is the section of Clayton we are in).

It is def NOT 35 min to RTP. My dh commutes off hours and it takes 45 min going the long way (70 to 40). He may save 5 min going the back way (64/264 to 540).

But the S/D has all you are looking for. The neighborhood is nice, lots are mostly just under 3/4 acre with the newer ones with even larger lots. The ranch is about 1700sf with 3bdrms/2ba down and a unfinished up of 800sf. For under 200k. There are a few 2200 sf homes (new) for sale that are just over $200k and there's at least one resale available right now.

The schools are really good. Its about 12 min to 70 (main thoroughfare) though there's a Food Lion a few minutes away (along with some other shops) and Flowers Plantation has an entire shopping center planned nearby.

Here's a link to some of the homes available;
Tafton S/D

Good luck in your adventure! It was a tough ride but we've been in our home for a year and are SOOOOO happy.

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary