Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 AM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,317 times

Advertisements

Dealers here negotiate on price, to suggest they don't is silly.

I bought my truck from the hated and despised and criminal Leith Toyota, they came down on the price and gave me an excellent deal on my trade-in. I was extremely happy with the deal I got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,100,818 times
I've never paid full sticker price either, and I've bought all but quite a few new cars from dealerships in NC. I usually pay something much closer to the invoice price than the sticker. Just do your homework and don't let the sales folks push you around. The most effective negotiating tactic is to walk away from a deal. I did this last year when we bought a new car and they came and chased me down to tell me they'd agree to my offer. Simply walking away and telling them I could shop elsewhere saved me an extra $750.

I'm done buying new, however. We only did it last year b/c we were in a pinch. My next car will be a few years old so that most of the depreciation has already been felt by someone else.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:50 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
I bought my car used off of eBay. It was a 2002 model (8/2002 build date) with less than 17,000 miles on it and I bought it in Sept 2004 for 33% off the original sticker. It was in perfect condition, except for a bit of wear on the driver's seat and some curb rash on the alloy wheels.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 AM

168 posts, read 1,211,960 times
Negotiate online. We did this for our last car and it was a steal. We just shopped and compared online, emailed the best price of one dealership to another, etc. It was fast, easy, didn't commit us to hours at the store, and we walked away w/the lowest price of anyone I know on a new Honda Odyssey. You can do this with the dealerships themselves.

Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
We have a routine whenever we buy a new car!

We do our research, first. Then we go online to see who has the car we want.

Once we have determined what we want to pay, we head to the dealership.

Here is the NOT SO FUN part...hubby has to WALK AWAY 3 times before we buy.

Thank your lucky stars you don't have him negotiating for you! He is brutal. I usually step in at the last visit and tell hubby and the salesperson that I am NOT coming back...they can split the difference and thats IT. I'm done. Its a win win situation. Everyone is happy!

Pay FULL PRICE for a car? NEVER! Pay FULL PRICE for a house? Not unless you have others bidding on it and we gotta steal it!

Vicki

Old 10-10-2007, 08:21 PM

53 posts, read 247,981 times
Default Anyone in here purchase an Escape? I have been looking at those for a while.

I am looking for one about a year old and for under $15K with most options.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 AM

49 posts, read 162,723 times
I paid $ 4600 for 2001 Toyota corolla CE ( bought 2 months ago)

Old 10-11-2007, 04:24 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Fred Anderson Toyota will give you $500 off most new cars if you use the internet to make an appointment.

Old 10-11-2007, 11:10 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
As for WHAT he paid...its difficult to compare prices because the options on each car is so different.
It's not difficult.

I just bought a car last week, and paid below dealer invoice. The car was hard to find, and I wanted very specific things on it.

Go to Edmunds input the car you want to buy (with all of the options). Edmunds will spit out the Sticker, Dealer Invoice, and price others in your area want to pay.

The 'negotiation range' is the space between Sticker and DI.

BEFORE you go in, decide how you're going to pay for the car, don't tell them what you're going to do until you settle on a price. Don't talk trades, either.

If anything let them think you might go for a long term lease. Don't directly mislead them, but if they mention 'lease' you can say, "I'm interested in hearing all of your options, but first let's nail down this price." If you're with someone else, you can comment to your companion (not the sales guy), "Wow, those payments are really good." (if they present you with potential payment options.)

The dealer get's kickbacks on every lease deal they do, so they tend to lower the sale price figuring they'll make it up on the other money.

I can't stress this enough: Give absolutely no indication on how you will pay until you've agreed on a price.

I did this last week, and got a killer price on a luxury car. They kept pushing me for 'how I was going to pay', and I kept sending the sales guy back to 'the big guy' to nail down a price. I knew they were looking at what I drove up in (an old, low priced car) and how I was dressed (old, wrinkled clothing) and were making 'not so bright' assumptions about my financial status...

When we agreed on a below dealer invoice cost, the place exploded when I told them I'd pay cash for the car.

It was SOOO funny that even they had to laugh - big hearty belly laughs. Two other managers came in to offer me a job...heheh!! My daddy taught me well, and I did my online homework on car negotiations!!

Hehe...I'm chuckling about the situation now...it really was funny!!

But back on topic: They 'deal' here...no worries. Start with Edmunds.

Old 10-12-2007, 01:39 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurl View Post
It's not difficult.

I just bought a car last week, and paid below dealer invoice. The car was hard to find, and I wanted very specific things on it.

Go to Edmunds input the car you want to buy (with all of the options). Edmunds will spit out the Sticker, Dealer Invoice, and price others in your area want to pay.

The 'negotiation range' is the space between Sticker and DI.

BEFORE you go in, decide how you're going to pay for the car, don't tell them what you're going to do until you settle on a price. Don't talk trades, either.

If anything let them think you might go for a long term lease. Don't directly mislead them, but if they mention 'lease' you can say, "I'm interested in hearing all of your options, but first let's nail down this price." If you're with someone else, you can comment to your companion (not the sales guy), "Wow, those payments are really good." (if they present you with potential payment options.)

The dealer get's kickbacks on every lease deal they do, so they tend to lower the sale price figuring they'll make it up on the other money.

I can't stress this enough: Give absolutely no indication on how you will pay until you've agreed on a price.

I did this last week, and got a killer price on a luxury car. They kept pushing me for 'how I was going to pay', and I kept sending the sales guy back to 'the big guy' to nail down a price. I knew they were looking at what I drove up in (an old, low priced car) and how I was dressed (old, wrinkled clothing) and were making 'not so bright' assumptions about my financial status...

When we agreed on a below dealer invoice cost, the place exploded when I told them I'd pay cash for the car.

It was SOOO funny that even they had to laugh - big hearty belly laughs. Two other managers came in to offer me a job...heheh!! My daddy taught me well, and I did my online homework on car negotiations!!

Hehe...I'm chuckling about the situation now...it really was funny!!

But back on topic: They 'deal' here...no worries. Start with Edmunds.
For the record, most dealers do not get additional kickbacks on leases. Maybe a manufacturer or two does something like that but most of the major brands do not. Dealers like leases because you HAVE to return to their dealership to return the car at the end of the lease. (Unless you move more than 50-75 miles away.)

Also, Edmunds.com (and a lot of other websites) frequently have incorrect information on what the dealer invoice price is. Happens all the time.

Lastly, the "dealer invoice" is NOT always the bottom price. (In most cases it is not.) In addition to some other pricing tricks, there are "private" incentives that customers don't know about so the dealer gets to pocket those, too.

If a customer walked in a dealership and said "I will pay you dealer invoice less public incentives" a dealer will agree to that 99% of the time and be very happy. (That being said, there are a few manufactures where the ivoice price is the bottom price but not many. Each of them do things a little bit differently.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary