Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:39 AM

455 posts, read 919,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazania View Post
I noticed that as well when looking into UVerse re cable. (I was considering bundling the cable and Internet) Uverse appears to stick in a whole bunch of little fees in its cable (don't know about the small fees and the internet), so by the time you add them all in there, the cable portion isn't much better than TWC's. In fact, it appears to be a little higher.

Re Internet ... I read somewhere that Uverse is stricter about throttling. Is this true? I don't torrent at all, and rarely stream movies on the Internet, but I do want to know the facts if I switch.
U-Verse has a monthly data cap (200gb-250gb?), TWC doesn't. Only reason I'm still with TWC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 12:58 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,620,809 times
So TWC just called me because they saw I cancelled my service (well I cancelled 3 weeks ago, but it wasn't input in their system until last night). The lady asked why I left and I told her I was unhappy with the new modem fee - she then said that they should have offered me a lower rate. She then said she could have given me the package I had for $102 (down from $126). This annoys me - why does it have to be such a hassle? Last year I had to call twice to get my bill reduced from $185 to $126 - the first time I called they tried to sell me on a package for $200+! Ugh, just set fair prices and be done with it.. you shouldn't have to go through the whole cancel song & dance every year.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
So TWC just called me because they saw I cancelled my service (well I cancelled 3 weeks ago, but it wasn't input in their system until last night). The lady asked why I left and I told her I was unhappy with the new modem fee - she then said that they should have offered me a lower rate. She then said she could have given me the package I had for $102 (down from $126). This annoys me - why does it have to be such a hassle? Last year I had to call twice to get my bill reduced from $185 to $126 - the first time I called they tried to sell me on a package for $200+! Ugh, just set fair prices and be done with it.. you shouldn't have to go through the whole cancel song & dance every year.
I look at it this way: Majority of folks simply pay the amount on the bill. Folks like us get a better deal because we take the time to haggle the price. If companies didn't haggle we all would be paying too much. I hate doing the song and dance as well but love it after it's done especially when people tell me how much they're paying and I learn I'm paying almost half for the same service.

I have yet to call TWC and argue the modem fee but I imagine since I'm in a contract that I'll get the fee waived.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:38 PM

Well, this time I didn't feel like haggling so I walked.. guess that's the risk they take. I'm really happy with U-Verse though, so no regrets!

But the moral of the story is - if you don't want to pay the new fee call to complain, threaten to quit, do all that song & dance and you'll likely STILL pay the fee, but get your overall monthly fee reduced!

Old 11-30-2012, 07:42 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,827,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
... So far I've been extremely happy with U-Verse - the quality and professionalism of the installers was light years ahead of what I dealt with with TWC. ....
I'm pretty sure that all the installers are subcontractors, so their competence and courtesy are not reflecting of the company, the same as if they were full time.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I'm pretty sure that all the installers are subcontractors, so their competence and courtesy are not reflecting of the company, the same as if they were full time.
Well I didn't ask if they were full-time AT&T employees or not - but even if they were subcontractors they were much better than the TWC subs and employees I've dealt with in the past. Heck, TWC couldn't even cancel my service after I hand carried all my equipment into their office!

Either way, a company is directly responsible for the quality of their subcontractors via hiring, training, monitoring, etc.

edit: They are employees, not contractors:

http://www2.nbc17.com/news/2011/aug/...nc-ar-1280212/

Last edited by adlnc07; 11-30-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 12-01-2012, 08:57 AM

39 posts, read 128,200 times
Some of the reasons I dislike TWC.

1) They cut off the automatic link to my online bill pay account (a long time ago now). So I have to handle it manually every month. I guess they want to control the customer account and not deal with third party bill payers.

2) They closed their Wake Forest office. No notice - I went there and found the 'we have moved to 2505 Atlantic Ave' sign on the door. No, you didn't move, you closed the office. I was going into Raleigh for something else, so I gave it a try. After 30 minutes of standing in a cattle line, I got my digital adapters. The actual customer service rep was excellent, once I got through the line.

3) I am one of the people with their telephone service and a Ubee modem. To get rid of the modem fee, they want me to buy another modem but keep the Ubee and split off the cable, just for the telephone. What a joke.

Customer service is not their priority, despite their high prices. I will happily switch or cut back what I pay them for, when I come up for renewal.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:30 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by centralct View Post
Some of the reasons I dislike TWC.

1) They cut off the automatic link to my online bill pay account (a long time ago now). So I have to handle it manually every month. I guess they want to control the customer account and not deal with third party bill payers.
Do you mean where they automatically debit your checking account? That can often not be a good idea, as once it is set up, it can be hard to stop. Cable companies, mortgage companies, etc are notorious for "forgetting" to stop debiting an account, or mysteriously starting again 6 months later.

I have TWC automatically bill my cash-back credit card. I get the rebate and can dispute any erroneous charges without having to worry about getting the money back.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:36 PM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Do you mean where they automatically debit your checking account? That can often not be a good idea, as once it is set up, it can be hard to stop. Cable companies, mortgage companies, etc are notorious for "forgetting" to stop debiting an account, or mysteriously starting again 6 months later.

I have TWC automatically bill my cash-back credit card. I get the rebate and can dispute any erroneous charges without having to worry about getting the money back.
Yes! Right.

No one gets into my checking account. Credit card drafting? Sure, that's how I pay cable and cell phone bills, but they will not have access to my bank account. I don't even use debit cards except to get cash at an ATM.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:31 PM

39 posts, read 128,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post

No, sorry, I wasn't clear. I have an online bill pay account and pay TWC from it, manually, by entering the amount and date due. It is not automatically withdrawn. They used to have a 3rd-party biller agreement where they automatically informed the service of the amount and date due, and then I still had to ok it, but I didn't have to go search for the information.

I agree with you, I refuse to set up auto-payments where the biller can just pull from the checking account any time they bill me. I used to have this with PayPal, and cancelled it, just in case Paypal got hacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary