Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:54 AM

192 posts, read 312,777 times

Advertisements

Has anyway shopped at any of the Carlie C's IGA grocery stores...There's a new store opening today where the Kroger used to be on New Bern Ave...

New Carlie C's opening in Raleigh on Wednesday :: WRAL.com

Rocio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 AM

924 posts, read 2,102,574 times
Yeah, I think this is mostly good news. I will miss the Kroger there, but I understand that business is business. I have shopped at a few of Carlie C's other locations, in Coats, Goldsboro, and elsewhere. The older ones (such as the one in Coats) are acceptable but kind of dumpy, but the newer ones (like the one in Goldsboro) are pretty decent, and surprisingly nice for an IGA. Presumably the new one at New Bern and New Hope/Corporation will be a bigger, higher-end Carlie C's, which is great, so it should be a good shopping option. But it still ain't Kroger.

Now we need to figure out what will become of the other recently closed Kroger location, at MLK and Raleigh Boulevard. I really miss that store, as it was probably my second- or third-most visited grocery store over the part several years. I generally found it to be the most convenient large grocery store to downtown Raleigh if I needed to pick up a few groceries after work or after dinner or an event downtown. So, it would be great if some other large, full-service grocery store with extended hours would go back into that spot. But, I understand that from a business standpoint, the Kroger hadn't done well there, so another big grocer would probably also be marginally viable in that location.

Last edited by tompope; 02-06-2013 at 07:43 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 07:36 AM

192 posts, read 312,777 times
I like shopping at Kroger as well. I often go to the one on Falls & Strickland, it's usually pretty busy there so hopefully they won't be pulling out anytime soon! I think I'll take a drive out later today to the Carlie grand opening and check it out...

Old 02-06-2013, 10:22 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
I stop by Carlie C's in Benson coming and going from the beach. I like Roman Meal bread, and they always stock fresh loaves. They always have fresh fryers in the 2 1/2 lb. range that are perfect for the grill. The homemade pies are pretty doggone good too

Old 02-06-2013, 12:34 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,943,623 times
I shop at the one on 98 all the time- their prices are basically what you would pay at the Teet after clipping coupons. Its probably 20-30% cheaper across the board.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
Great news! The last thing we needed was for that area to be a "food desert"

Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
We have a Carlie C's in Garner. They have great veggie and meat departments!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post

I think it's the MLK area where the Kroger closed that is now considered a food desert.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnerMama View Post
We have a Carlie C's in Garner. They have great veggie and meat departments!
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that one. That's that spot that used to be the Winn-Dixie, right? That is a pretty nice store, too.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JQ Public View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
I think it's the MLK area where the Kroger closed that is now considered a food desert.
Yeah, I think the whole "food desert" talk that went on after the closings of the two Krogers on the east side of Raleigh were announced a couple months ago strikes me as a bit of a hyperbole. While it was certainly disappointing to see those two stores close, one of them already has been replaced by another major grocer that's almost as good as the Kroger it's replacing, and the other one may be, too. And there are actually still a number of good grocery options not too far from there. The Kroger that recently closed at MLK and Raleigh Boulevard is only about a mile away from the Food Lion at Rock Quarry and Cross Link, and there are two other Food Lions within two miles. Also, the Harris Teeter and Fresh Market at Cameron Village are only about three miles away, and there are two more Krogers within four miles that remain open (the one at Wake Forest and Six Forks, and the one at Timber Drive and 70 in Garner). And there are numerous other places selling all sorts of fresh foods, both general and specialty, both large chains and small corner groceries, within a fairly reasonable distance of there. So, while it was frustrating to lose the two Krogers, and I and many people will particularly miss the MLK/Raleigh Blvd. store, which was a good store that was conveniently located, open late, and pretty walkable/bikeable, not always requiring a car for every small trip, it still seems to me hardly like a food desert. In many bigger cities, there are indeed vast tracts of area where there simply are no good grocery stores for miles and miles and miles, and those seem to me like true "food deserts." Fortunately, Raleigh's not really in that situation, or at least not nearly that bad. The grocery options in that part of the city took a bit of a hit recently (which will hopefully be only temporary), and it would certainly be good to increase those options if possible, but the existing options aren't too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary