Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 10:42 AM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,730,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
That was so enlightening
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 11:55 AM

544 posts, read 852,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
This goes far deeper than traffic though, it's the mentality of entitlement and ego that is embedded in society today. I digress. Point is, think about what's safe, what's right, and what's courteous before thinking about yourself.
We have a winner!

As a group, we're not very considerate drivers -- lack of lane discipline, failure to signal turns, failure to let someone in.

As long as 540 is part of the discussion, I'll add in some personal observations*

Many drivers fail to maintain their speed on 540 west as it rises from I-40 to Leesville Rd. This causes congestion. Same thing happens westbound as the road rises to Six Forks.

I think part of the back-ups at Falls of Neuse is caused by the fact that exiting traffic that will head north on Falls has to wait at a traffic light. If the exit had come after passing under the bridge, the north bound exit would wrap around and traffic would merge onto northbound Falls. Perhaps there was not enough room for this configuration.

More of the very long merge lanes would be helpful -- such as heading from Six Forks to 540 east.

*I am not an engineer, nor am I practicing engineering without a license, which would be in violation of Chapter 89c of the NC General Statutes.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:26 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emitchell View Post
*I am not an engineer, nor am I practicing engineering without a license, which would be in violation of Chapter 89c of the NC General Statutes.
You don't have to be an engineer to have common sense!

540 was designed with the best knowledge on hand at the time, but it wasn't perfect and there are many issues to fix. The problem is that they are all million-dollar fixes.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 PM

544 posts, read 852,755 times
<<<<<You don't have to be an engineer to have common sense!>>>>>>>

You are correct, but do you remember the man who the DOT tried to silence a couple of years ago:

RALEIGH: Citizen activist grates on state over traffic signals | Traffic | NewsObserver.com

Indeed fixing it later is always more expensive. I think it's generally a good highway, although that original, single exit lane from 540 south to I40 West was a huge blunder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary