Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 05:49 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,766,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
This literally helps restore faith in our representation....politicians using logic. Who woulda thought? Way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 AM

149 posts, read 206,856 times
75 makes me really uneasy. For many, that may indeed mean that 85 is now the "slow" speed. I try to stick between 70 - 75 now (right lane, of course ... I know better) and get dirty looks at it is! And when driving in the rain, the speed some are going now is really scary. Many do NOT interpret a slick, rainy road to mean "slow down a little". Many plow on they normally do.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:48 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,988 times
70-75 is fine, I just wish they would increase the speed in other places besides 540.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,168,057 times
I don't think 540 needs another increase. Stretches of desolate road like I-40 from Clayton to Wilmington would be fine at 75 though.

And I still don't think the average speed on 540 has increased, every day I seemingly get behind people who won't go over 65! I see a few cars blow by at 80+, but that's always been that way. And 90% of the time, I can profile the person before I can see who they are!

Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,708,858 times
Studies show that the biggest change when increasing the speed limit is a reduction in speed violations - in other words, people don't keep going faster, the speed limit is just more in line with what people are driving. Yes, there are always outliers, but most folks will just be happier for the higher limit that is more in line with their comfort.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:14 PM

I was on 540 yesterday, cruise set on 73. I was in the middle lane, not heavy traffic. There was a Raleigh PD in the right lane behind a few other cars all doing under 70mph. Two cars in front of me started coasting, slowing down from the low 70s, and I had to switch to the left lane and pass them, at the same time we were all passing the cop. I honestly, don't think some people have even noticed the 70mph signs yet! And why people are so afraid to pass slow moving cop, has always amazed me! I've seen NCSHP driving down the right lane of I-40 at WELL under the limit, and 50 cars backed up behind him, afraid to pass.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:35 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,773,090 times
I had a trooper read me the riot act and threaten me with a ticket when I went about 1 mph faster than him on Highway 70 in Lenoir county. He was in the left lane (it's not controlled access there so while a jerk move IMO, not illegal) going exactly the speed limit. A group of maybe 10 cars eased up to him and I pulled to the right just so I was not right behind the guy with 5 cars behind me.

I was pacing him for maybe 5-10 miles and at some point I got maybe a half car length past him (but not really pulling away and I had been behind him some too! Just the natural ebb and flow of two cars on the highway) and he whipped in behind me and pulled me. Told me "what was I thinking trying to pass a cop in broad daylight" "didn't I know that in NC there is no leeway and speed limits are absolute" Honestly at that point I wanted him to write me a ticket for 56 in a 55 so I could go to court but he just gave me a warning ticket. Yes he actually spent the time to write it up.

At the very least with him off the road everyone else got to go about their business in a decent fashion though!

Old 04-23-2013, 01:56 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,460,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
I don't think 540 needs another increase. Stretches of desolate road like I-40 from Clayton to Wilmington would be fine at 75 though.

And I still don't think the average speed on 540 has increased, every day I seemingly get behind people who won't go over 65! I see a few cars blow by at 80+, but that's always been that way. And 90% of the time, I can profile the person before I can see who they are!
I still go 65 on 540. No real reason to go any faster.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I had a trooper read me the riot act and threaten me with a ticket when I went about 1 mph faster than him on Highway 70 in Lenoir county. He was in the left lane (it's not controlled access there so while a jerk move IMO, not illegal) going exactly the speed limit. A group of maybe 10 cars eased up to him and I pulled to the right just so I was not right behind the guy with 5 cars behind me.

I was pacing him for maybe 5-10 miles and at some point I got maybe a half car length past him (but not really pulling away and I had been behind him some too! Just the natural ebb and flow of two cars on the highway) and he whipped in behind me and pulled me. Told me "what was I thinking trying to pass a cop in broad daylight" "didn't I know that in NC there is no leeway and speed limits are absolute" Honestly at that point I wanted him to write me a ticket for 56 in a 55 so I could go to court but he just gave me a warning ticket. Yes he actually spent the time to write it up.

At the very least with him off the road everyone else got to go about their business in a decent fashion though!
I know someone who got a ticket for 37 in a 35. Showed up to court and got to watch the judge embarrass the cop and warn him to never occupy his courtroom again with such nonsense! Ticket was thrown out.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:09 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,934,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I still go 65 on 540. No real reason to go any faster.
I do too. I think 70 on 540 especially during rush hours morning and afternoon is one of the ingredients of a major traffic back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary