Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 AM

260 posts, read 545,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Speed limit to increase on I-540 :: WRAL.com

I was just remarking the other day how it was silly that the speed limit on 540 is so low. It's a brand new road. Surely we can have it at 70 or 75. Still 65 from 70 to I-40 though.
I would love if people would at least get up to the speed limit. To me, it seems if more and more people are enjoying driving at around 55 to 60 lately... and insist on being in the left lane. Most of the back up is caused by these people driving slowly and being in all lanes - and then causing others to constant change lanes trying to get around the idiots. Just as why do people in the right lane eastbound between Six Forks and Falls of Neuse insist on slowing down to almost 40? That is a LONG distance between exits and it's made unsafe by these people.

I'd be very happy to see a higher speed limit, but I'd prefer to see the speed limit enforced as much for people going under (and trucks in the far left lane) as much as being enforced for people going over the limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,581,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
70 MPH speed limit (with traffic at 75-80) on this road (yes, this is I-540 through North Raleigh, not NC-540) would scare me a little bit at rush hour. There are frequent jam-ups that require quick braking.
There would be no such thing as quick braking if people learned how to drive properly and left enough following distance. It amazes me how stupid people really are when it comes to driving. I frequently see cars in a pack following within 1 or 2 car lengths from each other.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:23 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,809 times
As a frequent driver of I-540 in that general stretch I can state with canny accuracy and a bit tongue and cheek that raising it up to 70 MPH is like giving the so called green light to the 80 to 85 MPH. One thing we seemingly love to do is drive about 10 MPH over the speed limit. It is the comfort zone for some reason. It is like a right of passage when traversing the interstates. If we were auctioneers we would be very good at it.....give me 65...65...65..67...68...do I drive 68...68...70...70...I am going 70...do i go 75..75...75.....80...I can go 80....80...80....switch the cruise control on for that guy at mile marker 15 for 80 MPH! Good day!

I am one that travels it only on off hours and sets the thing they call cruise to 70 to 72.5 MPH and watch the world go by...or better said every other driver on I-540 go by me, but I do get an occasional thrill when I at 70 - 72.5 MPH cruises by a big yellow vehicle with flashing and blinking red lights, and sometimes a bright white strobe light. A.K.A. School bus.

My vote is I for the 70 MPH speed limit. Nay when its raining or wet roads. Not sure why drivers think that they can go the exact same speed as wet roads as they do dry roads. A lot do find out that it is not cool when they meet the guard rail or confuse their GPS to no end as they spin and it recalc, recalc, and recal's.....or the ones that speak, simple state..."Are you done yet?"

Old 02-09-2013, 10:55 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,961 times
Awesome!!

Old 02-10-2013, 06:26 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
What a huge win for logic, freedom, and the voice of the Citizen!!! Way to go legislators!!!!

Old 02-10-2013, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,080 times
Default Drive fast to burn money

I read that increasing speed from 60mph to 70mph will result in spending 16.3% more on gas.
Likewise, speeding from 50 to 60 mph will result in spending 12.4% more gas.

ENjoy!!

nando.com/roadworrier - Oakridge National Laboratory

Old 02-10-2013, 02:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb24 View Post
I would love if people would at least get up to the speed limit. To me, it seems if more and more people are enjoying driving at around 55 to 60 lately... and insist on being in the left lane. Most of the back up is caused by these people driving slowly and being in all lanes - and then causing others to constant change lanes trying to get around the idiots. Just as why do people in the right lane eastbound between Six Forks and Falls of Neuse insist on slowing down to almost 40? That is a LONG distance between exits and it's made unsafe by these people.

I'd be very happy to see a higher speed limit, but I'd prefer to see the speed limit enforced as much for people going under (and trucks in the far left lane) as much as being enforced for people going over the limit.
The lousy design of roads makes it hard for slower traffic to keep right because the right lane tends to drop off and later reappear.

Unlighted roads also make folks go slower to not overdrive their headlights.

If you set a limit of 70, the speed demons will hit 80 or 85. A crash at those speeds means an undertaker, not a doctor is required.

Faster driving cuts gas mileage to boot.

Last edited by saturnfan; 02-10-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 02-10-2013, 02:46 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
<>Slower driving cuts gas mileage to boot.
ITYM, "improves" not "cuts " mileage.
It will cut consumption.
"old codger remembers Drive 55 when gas was under $1.00"

Old 02-10-2013, 02:54 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
ITYM, "improves" not "cuts " mileage.
It will cut consumption.
"old codger remembers Drive 55 when gas was under $1.00"
Thanks for catching the error. Now corrected.

When I worked for Exxon-Mobil, the slogan printed on our credit card statements during the oil shortage in the 70's was "Fifty is Thrifty".

Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,706,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That sounds bogus to me.
I can send you lots of data on it if you really wanted to know, but think about it this way - the speed limits wouldn't be going up if traffic engineers didn't think it was safe to raise them.

As for speed differentials, the 40 mph minimum speed was originally implemented to keep traffic speed differentials from being too extreme and thus dangerous. Speed variation is actually one of the biggest factors in highway crashes, since on the highway it is usually single-direction traffic on a relatively closed path.

Speed variation is also why many countries have graduated speed limits by lane, as the speed difference can be dangerous but not everyone wants to drive as fast as the upper limit allows. When speed limits were originally mandated to 55 (from 70 or unlimited before), besides the benefit of gas savings, we got a more uniform flow of traffic, which is why fatalities decreased. Now states are looking at raising minimum speed limits to make highways safer by closing the 40-70 gap. That's a little too off topic for this thread though.

In general, I don't think people understand traffic or speed very well at all, and thus are afraid of it, like those who were afraid of lightening before they really understood it.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 02-10-2013 at 05:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary