Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 10:56 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVAlicia View Post
Be careful at Chocolate Smiles. They sell chocolate that they make (I doubt it's all the way from the bean) and pre-made chocolate. They taste totally different. Their pre-made bunnies are hollow and a total waste of calories while I thought the ones they made were nice and creamy (and I thought theirs were all solid). I only ever buy the dark chocolate. You can tell which are which by the bag - the sealed bags are pre-made - the ones with the ribbon are theirs.
How strange. You'd think they would stick with just items made in-house to avoid confusion over the quality of their products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 11:16 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I've been shopping at Chocolate Smiles for years and have never had a problem with any of the products they make there. They don't make the chololate there, but the chocolate they use is definitely better and higher quality than what you get at the drugstore.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM

135 posts, read 269,101 times
Ok, checked out Kilwin's in Cary today, didn't really need more candy, but hey, had to follow a new lead!

They have some nice Easter novelties, a limited selection, but all the usuals, solid chocolate bunnies in milk, dark, and white and at least 3 sizes, a peanut butter filled bunny, and a few other solids. They also have a few typical flavors of the smaller size filled eggs. I couldn't bring myself to buy one, though, the memories of the last one we tried are still with me. Prices weren't terrible for the Easter stuff, but their assorted case is shockingly expensive, more than double what I have paid in the past.

Tasted the fudge, it's nice and smooth. They also have ice cream. I bought a small milk chocolate "dome" for research purposes - it's good, smooth chocolate. Better than drug store candy for sure.

Kilwin's is a franchise based in Michigan, and some of the pre-packaged items comes from there. They hand dip the chocolates and make the fudge in house. Reminded me of a Gertrude Hawk's store, if you're familiar with that company, but much smaller.

As for kid stuff, OP, I would check it out - they have small foiled wrapped fish and car shapes and other kid friendly items. Didn't see any gooey marshmallow, but they did have caramel dipped marshmallows with a chocolate drizzle that might be close.

Old 03-11-2013, 01:13 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanieskid View Post
I bought a small milk chocolate "dome" for research purposes.
That's what they all say.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
FM even had the sugar sculptured eggs with the scenes inside them one ear. Memories.....
Hallmark had them last year!! I couldn't believe it - hadn't seen one in at least 30 years and I can't believe I'm old enough to say that.

Feeling like a total slacker as my kids are getting drugstore candy, if that. Because guess who ends up eating all that candy? This year they are getting their individual tastes catered to (which means one won't even get candy) and maybe getting an itunes card thrown in too.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annesg View Post
Fresh market usually has the kinds of candies my Easter bunny put in my basket. Pretty things you only see at Easter. Some are pricey but nostalgic to me, pjs I see no point in throwing a bunch of crap candy they see all year in there (not a fa of sugar loaded kids). FM even had the sugar sculptured eggs with the scenes inside them one ear. Memories.....
Yes, our candy store back home still has those sugar scene eggs that i remember getting as a kid in the old days!

Old 03-12-2013, 05:04 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think you and maybe the OP are missing that kind of candy store. I don't think the Triangle is missing it. I'm plenty happy with the Triangle's candy selection. If you wanna open a candy store, though, I'll be happy to be part of your focus group, in the interest of research, of course.
Yippee!! Teach me how to make candy and help me find an investor, and I'm in business! Then I'll have to give weight watchers MY business!!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:49 PM

13 posts, read 20,561 times
Capri Flavors

They have fancy candies!! We love going to their store!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 AM

65 posts, read 112,065 times
I haven't been yet this season, but World Market usually stocks some unusual international holiday candies and treats that would be fun for easter Baskets.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:21 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,150,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Yes, our candy store back home still has those sugar scene eggs that i remember getting as a kid in the old days!
I think A Southern Season might sell them. I remember my mom putting them in our baskets even after we moved down here so unless she smuggled in a 5+ year stash from New Jersey they had to of come from somewhere local. Then again she could have been sneaking them out of our baskets and giving us the same one year after year without our knowledge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary