Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 PM

3 posts, read 13,102 times

Advertisements

We have heard so many great things about the area. We are planning on taking a trip to check out a few areas/neighborhoods and would like some suggestions. I am self employed and will work from home so the commute is not an issue. We are able to sell our home here in South FL, for around 2mm and would like to spend a little less but if we found something we absoulutely loved we would just roll it right into another house. I have three children (6,4 and 2) so a great school system is our number one priority. Remember if you could live ANYWHERE within 30-40 min of downtown Raleigh where would it be!! Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 03:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,291,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmunitrader View Post
We have heard so many great things about the area. We are planning on taking a trip to check out a few areas/neighborhoods and would like some suggestions. I am self employed and will work from home so the commute is not an issue. We are able to sell our home here in South FL, for around 2mm and would like to spend a little less but if we found something we absoulutely loved we would just roll it right into another house. I have three children (6,4 and 2) so a great school system is our number one priority. Remember if you could live ANYWHERE within 30-40 min of downtown Raleigh where would it be!! Thanks in advance.

IF I had that kind of money to play with I would live in one of the historic neighborhoods in Downtown Raleigh. $500K - $750K would buy a fantastic historic home in Oakwood, Five Points, or Boylean Heights. The larger ones can go for even more!

If historic does not interest you, than at the very least I would stay within the I-440 Beltline. Places like Olde Raleigh and the surrounding area come to mind. If you are more interested in a suburban setting outside the beltline, well at that price range the options are plentiful!

Good luck

Some Picture of a few histoic areas:

Pictures of Historic Oakwood Neighborhood in Downtown Raleigh

http://www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...es-barton.html

Pictures of Historic Boylan Heights ~ Downtown Raleigh

Old 10-28-2007, 03:35 PM

2,697 posts, read 8,698,636 times
Preston in Cary would be worth considering.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:17 PM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,827 times
I'd go to Hasentree, no doubt.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:23 PM

Location: Between a nook-a-ler reactor and a dump, North Cackalacky
283 posts, read 1,259,772 times
I wouldn't move to this area if I had that kind of coin and the flexibility to work anywhere. While this is a very nice area which I happen to like a lot, there are other places that come to mind - San Diego (in spite of the fires), smaller coastal communities on the mid-Atlantic and SE coasts, etc etc etc. Or Europe.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,843,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
I'd go to Hasentree, no doubt.
Without question! The absolute sweetest neighborhood in all the triangle IMO.
Of course 1.5 mil only buys the cheapest house in the neighborhood lol.

Old 10-28-2007, 05:39 PM

460 posts, read 1,770,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmunitrader View Post
We are able to sell our home here in South FL, for around 2mm and would like to spend a little less but if we found something we absoulutely loved we would just roll it right into another house.
You'll be able to spend a LOT less, and probably end up with a LOT more than you have now.

I, too, work from home (most of the time), and moved from the Los Angeles area. Prior to the move, I had in my head, an idea of what I might have to spend. While I knew I'd be able to get a home for less than LA rates, I was genuinely shocked to see how MUCH less.

Because I'm not particularly familiar with Raleigh, I can't give you any area suggestions, but if I came here with 2mm to play with, I'd get two home...one in the Raleigh area, and one somewhere else (anywhere else).

I'm not kidding...you'll have 'that' much left over to buy a really nice second (or vacation) home somewhere else.

ATB!

Old 10-28-2007, 06:17 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,843 times
Gurl makes a good point! My family has an old, old friend who lives in a beautiful house in Chapel Hill & has another house near the beach in Wilmington. Neither house is a mansion, but he's much happier having 2 homes than one big one.

I'm intrigued by these glowing reports of Hasentree. I haven't been there yet, but it sounds lovely!

I'm a fan of the old Hope Valley neighborhood in Durham. There are some beautiful homes there & the rolling landscape is drop dead gorgeous.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:45 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,551 times
The Preserve at Jordan is really nice. I'd live there in a heartbeat.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:46 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,967,597 times
Well...I'd stay in Florida and live in St. Petersburg :-/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary