Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:20 PM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
To be precise, the change has come since IBM and other companies brought in thousands of “not-from-around-here” employees in the mid-1960s.

“There’s no question as to when the change happened, based on the birthdates of the speakers,” NCSU linguistics professor Robin Dodsworth said. “You went within the space of two or three generations from being an unambiguously Southern-speaking city to an unambiguously non-Southern-speaking city.”

If anything, people in Raleigh are sounding more Eastern than Southern, linguistics experts say. While characteristic accents linger in the rural South, urban centers along the East Coast talk more like each other.

“Raleigh has some features that other cities along the Eastern Seaboard share, and Philadelphia has, historically, been one of these,” Dodsworth said in response to a question about Raleigh’s linguistic brethren. “Also D.C., Richmond, even Charleston, to some extent.”

The research, called the Raleigh study, has been going on for five years and will continue. Its finding that the Raleigh accent is disappearing heads immediately onto touchy ground – the changes that natives have seen and sometimes mourned during the decades of explosive growth that started in about 1965.
Read more here: Raleigh has lost its drawl, y’all | Wake County | NewsObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 05:57 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,607,545 times
My wife and I were born outside of NC and moved here 6 years ago. Our 3 year old son, who was born here, does not say "smell", he says "smay-ell". A product of his NC daycare teachers ;-)

Old 04-07-2013, 06:18 AM

334 posts, read 867,807 times
Raleigh is not a true southern city. It is a city that is just geographically southern. There's a big difference.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:23 AM

215 posts, read 371,258 times
I was always fascinated by the different accents around here, and how they vary from county to county. Growing up, I loved hearing the warm, lilting accent of the older ladies in church and at school. Even when they were angry with you, it didn't sound so bad!
I hope it's a long time before we lose all the different accents we have around here. Lenoir, Harnett, Sampson, Duplin... they have some wonderful southern drawls. Love listening to the hoi-toiders on the coast. I hate to think in a few generations this will all be lost.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:26 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Raleigh is not a true southern city. It is a city that is just geographically southern. There's a big difference.
Went to a doctor the other day who is a Raleigh native, no trace of a southern accent whatsoever.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:40 AM

243 posts, read 467,580 times
Yep, knew guy from Raleigh (25 yo) , when I lived in South Florida, a year ago; he spoke exactly same way as locals (and in Fort Lauderdale people speak Northeastern way).

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM

455 posts, read 919,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
My wife and I were born outside of NC and moved here 6 years ago. Our 3 year old son, who was born here, does not say "smell", he says "smay-ell". A product of his NC daycare teachers ;-)
Mine's doing this too, and it drives me CRAZY. His grandparents (my in-laws) have thick southern accents, so I'm pretty sure that's where it's coming from.

My wife was born here, but she doesn't have an accent, either.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:34 AM

525 posts, read 1,298,459 times
I was born in Durham, and I work for a company with offices all over the northeast. They always comment on how I have no accent whatsoever. I'm not sure why...influences of TV maybe?

Old 04-07-2013, 07:51 AM

215 posts, read 371,258 times
I can't speak for everyone, but I think a lot of people growing up here did not consider their accent an asset. The absence of any accent on tv (unless it was an attempt to characterize someone), along with contact with others outside the state, made you sort of stick out like a sore thumb. And to those that weren't from the south, if you had a southern accent, as soon as you started to speak, you lost IQ points.
So trying to fit in with your college friends, or coworkers, you sort of revised your speech a little. To some southerners I don't have an accent at all (until I get angry). To my friends from NJ, they totally hear it.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I agree w/ Ponychick. I just heard a story on NPR about changes in the Philly accent (some parts of it fading, other parts getting stronger) and they made the comment that regional accents are getting stronger except in the South where it is fading due to dumb hick stereotyping in popular culture. Kids might wanna grow up to be Rocky or somebody, but nobody wants to be Goober.

I don't have a strong southern accent but I have a subtle one if you know to listen for it and similarly I can hear the subtle southern accent in a lot of voices around me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary