Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:54 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
That house on the Circle defies Logic, but good for the sellers.
The Circle is prime RE if you're wanting a nice ITB location at a lower price, though.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:11 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
Well this is an encouraging thread because my N Raleigh house is going on the market tomorrow..
Wish me luck & I will keep everyone posted.

North Raleigh Guy..maybe you live on my street ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:26 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
...why has buying suddenly picked up? What changed recently? Is it local or is it a national thing?
I don't know if it's EVERYWHERE, but it's definitely a similar story in several other places. I was talking to a realtor in South Florida a few weeks ago. She said this time last year, they had 200 condos on the market - this year there are fewer than 100. I know prices are going up in many other places around Florida, too.

We own a house in NoVa. It is CRAZY there. My friend put her house on the market on a Friday. Had a contract on Monday. Another friend of a friend - same thing. House sold in a weekend. Our house is being rented out now, but we are considering selling it, so I've been watching the market. In our zip code of 15,000 residents there are 6 SFH homes for sale under $700K (old 1950's ramblers and 1960's split levels, mind you). Crazy low inventory! Every time I look - once or week or so, the houses that I looked at the week before are contingent.

Here in Southern Village in CH, they are selling quickly, too. Saw a house with a "Coming Soon" sign. A few days later, I saw "Sold." I never saw it actually be "For Sale." I confirmed with a neighbor that it never officially made it on the market. But not everything is selling. Those that are in bad locations are still sitting, but overall, very low inventory and quick sales.

I guess the interest rates are low, the job market is picking up. People have been waiting in the wings and BAM!

ETA: Ha! I just saw this article on another thread in the economics forum. The article doesn't mention this area, but basically says that this "frenzy" is happening in many markets around the country:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/04/04/real...html?iid=HP_LN

Last edited by michgc; 04-09-2013 at 11:04 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:14 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Real Deals: Lots become scarce as discount residential land deals dry up | Real Deals | NewsObserver.com

Add in the lack of developable parcels available to local builders...

Old 04-10-2013, 08:23 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Here's what the N&O had to say about the overall market last month (looking at February numbers):

Quote:
Home sales in the Triangle increased 15 percent in February as the market maintained strong momentum heading into the busiest selling season of the year.

But the extended stretch of solid sales activity still hasn’t resulted in an increase in homes being listed for sale. There were just 7,515 homes on the market at the end of February, down 20 percent from the same period last year and off 40 percent from two years ago, Triangle Multiple Listing Services data show.

The region now has a five-month supply of homes on the market at the current pace of sales.

The good news for sellers is that rising demand and dwindling supply is making it easier for them to sell their homes. The average days on the market of the homes that sold in February declined 15 days to 117.

The bad news is that prices remain largely flat and buyers continue to demand that a home be in very good condition.
Read more here: Triangle home sales up 15 percent in February | Real Estate | NewsObserver.com

Old 05-14-2013, 09:47 PM

120 posts, read 248,693 times
Anyone feel that the market has become a little more sane in the last couple weeks or is it just me? Houses that I expect to sell the first week are sitting a little longer. I don't know if more supply has come on the market or people have stopped buying or I'm just totally off base here. My only data points are my observations from house hunting myself.

Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTenGuyInNC View Post
Anyone feel that the market has become a little more sane in the last couple weeks or is it just me? Houses that I expect to sell the first week are sitting a little longer. I don't know if more supply has come on the market or people have stopped buying or I'm just totally off base here. My only data points are my observations from house hunting myself.
Haven't noticed that in my neighborhood!

Old 05-15-2013, 06:54 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,662 times
No...

I've been watching the Cary area for a few months...specifically the older sections of 27513, appealing to me...older homes in established neighborhoods with TREES...lol The homes in my price range are listed and "contingent" within days...I don't even have time to view in person as they are swooped up fast...I'm not blaming my buyers agent, but I'm telling her what is coming on the market...Change buyer's agent???

I'm hoping more inventory comes up now that spring/summer is here...Not sure of the trend, as I've been out of the loop for a few years now with buying a home... I have already sold in Morrisville...that was fast as well! I'm hoping to find something within the next few weeks in Cary/27513 I'm not settling though...I'm anxious to see what will come on the market, if anything :/

Old 05-15-2013, 07:15 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
as I tell others, the advent of the internet is a positive thing for buyers and their agents. The reality is that you can get an immediate alert on YOUR search, or you can be up at midnight surfing, and find your house online before your agent finds it online.

We're seldom truly in the "home finding" business anymore. We're in the negotiation and stewardship business now.

However, if you're truly a "ready & willing" Buyer - prequalified by a lender, nothing to be done but find the house - then your agent should be able to get you in a home that you're truly interested in within 2 days.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
No...

I've been watching the Cary area for a few months...specifically the older sections of 27513, appealing to me...older homes in established neighborhoods with TREES...lol The homes in my price range are listed and "contingent" within days...I don't even have time to view in person as they are swooped up fast...I'm not blaming my buyers agent, but I'm telling her what is coming on the market...Change buyer's agent???

I'm hoping more inventory comes up now that spring/summer is here...Not sure of the trend, as I've been out of the loop for a few years now with buying a home... I have already sold in Morrisville...that was fast as well! I'm hoping to find something within the next few weeks in Cary/27513 I'm not settling though...I'm anxious to see what will come on the market, if anything :/
You need to see those homes the same day they're listed. Ask your agent to be flexible. If she's not available, tell her you don't want to miss the opportunity and ask if there's another agent at her firm that can show you the home.

Bottom line? You need to see these homes immediately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary