Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 10:28 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Sorry that you're getting so touchy, Vicki, I'm just addressing the topic of this thread.
No, I'm not getting touchy, at all. No need to roll your eyes!!!

I think this is a wonderful thread! It really shows how Realtors need to educate the public about what we really do.

With education, people make informed decisions! And another part of my job is to educate buyers and sellers!

BIG SMILEY FACE HERE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
No, I'm not getting touchy, at all. No need to roll your eyes!!!

I think this is a wonderful thread! It really shows how Realtors need to educate the public about what we really do.

With education, people make informed decisions! And another part of my job is to educate buyers and sellers!

BIG SMILEY FACE HERE!
Tried to rep you but I must spread it around first.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
$200 is a possible future scenario, $1,000 DD is what sellers want today. But hey, after the first inspection and appraisal the seller knows exactly what their house is worth and should negotiate accordingly from that point forward.
Where's this magical world of 1k due diligence fees as the norm?

We bought a house in Cary last year with NO DD fee whatsoever, though we offered 500 bucks.

This is a house that was considerably more expensive than the hypothetical 250-350k homes we are discussing here in this thread. If anyone even suggested 500 bucks for a 250k home, I'd have laughed and found another.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:15 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,341,738 times
If you want to demand a $1000 DD of your buyers when you sell you home, go ahead but do not be surprised when some buyers walk. There maybe someone out there willing to pay it but it would not be me and I believe more people would balk at that figure then would be willing to risk it just to complete their DD. Hopefully they have buyers agents who would advise them against paying a $1000 DD fee.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM

3,953 posts, read 5,091,305 times
Here's another scenario; the seller does their own inspection and appraisal removing all doubt about what the property is really worth.

Full disclosure: I'm not employed in the real-estate industry. I've sold property in the past and even walked away with a $260,000 check once but I readily admit that doesn't make me an expert. However, if I saw a property I liked and really wanted it I wouldn't hesitate to put down $1,000 DD to secure it. If you want to run with the big dogs you gotta get off the porch.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:06 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
As a buyer I would not be satisfied with a seller's inspection and would still want and get my own inspection done. Haven't bought a house in 8 years. I am familar with earnest money, but DD $ is new to me. I'm at the lower end of the market and would be hesitant to pay it. The seller providing their own appraisal / inspection documentation would do little to help.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:07 PM

43,299 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Here's another scenario; the seller does their own inspection and appraisal removing all doubt about what the property is really worth.

Full disclosure: I'm not employed in the real-estate industry. I've sold property in the past and even walked away with a $260,000 check once but I readily admit that doesn't make me an expert. However, if I saw a property I liked and really wanted it I wouldn't hesitate to put down $1,000 DD to secure it. If you want to run with the big dogs you gotta get off the porch.
1. Inspection
2. Documented needed repairs completed by contractors with proper licenses
3. Appraisal
4. Current survey, with all encroachments remediated.
5. Preliminary title report.
6. Full NC Residential Property Disclosure, with no "No Representation."

Then, maybe $1000 in DD would be worth considering.
That was the whole impetus for the DD Period (which is not contingent on a DD Fee in any way):
To get the parties to be more responsible when buying and selling.
For sellers to prepare a house for sale prior to marketing, not after contract.
For buyers to be Buyer Ready before looking for a house.

Big dogs been running since the dawn of Dog Years.
Smart dogs run longer.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 07-16-2014 at 02:24 PM.. Reason: #6.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:14 PM

595 posts, read 677,358 times
This is all rather timely to me. I just closed on my property in NJ last week and closed on our house in NC yesterday. From my perspective, I found my selling agent to be utterly worthless. She did a great song and dance and amazing pitch and we were so confident that we picked the right one. Of course once we signed the contract, it was nothing but broken promises and lack of communication. Aside from being reimbursed for the photographer and whatever it costs to list online, I really can't say she earned a penny of her commission. Our buyer was just a random walk in during an open house.

On the other hand, our buyer's agent (and the office staff) in NC was incredible. They were in constant communication with us, gave brilliant advice, went above and beyond to assist us in the process while we we 500 miles away. After closing they're still helping us out while we settle our affairs up here and make our way down next week. Those guys earned every penny of their commission. It is my mission to send every single person I know who is going to buy a house to them.

As for the whole (in my opinion crazy) due diligence thing that happens in the Triangle, our seller actually turned down our DD. They told us not to bother, we put down reasonable earnest money and negotiated openly and fairly. It's all worked out perfectly for us.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
Tried to rep you but I must spread it around first.
Awww, thanks!

I got the same message when I tried to rep you!

Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,423,294 times
Quote:
That's what many musicians said when Napster first appeared on the scene.

Technology has a way of displacing jobs that the market deems superfluous. Buyer's Agents are probably the next profession to go on the chopping block as they take ~ 3% commission and don't offer any legitimate value for their fee. That's money that could be better utilized sweetening the transaction for the buyer or the seller of the property.
3% lol. You must be new to Wake County.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I don't ever feel threatened that someone will buy or sell without an agent. Too many people appreciate the support.

It is quite untrue to state that:
A. Buyers agents bring no value. I have had too many consumers tell me otherwise for me to believe that. And, I judge myself by the support and value I think I offer. I know I do.
B. Buyers agents in Wake County always take 3%.

IF you have EVER been involved in a Wake County real estate transaction, and the tone and content of your posts makes that seem unlikely, you would know that about 75% of listings in Wake County offer 2.4% or 2.5% co-broke to buyers agents.
In addition, the sellers' market with agents bragging about "Sold in One Day with multiple offers!!!!" has put the legendary 6% commission at a 3.6%/2.4% split under tremendous pressure, resulting in lower commissions being very common.
Yet, none of that makes me believe agents will go the way of the dodo.

If nothing else, buyers' agents are the advocates for consumers to minimize unconscionable DD Fee ripoffs from scammers. It isn't perfect, but some support helps avoid $1000 DD Fees for fixer uppers.
Well said.

Quote:
Imagine a future where every potential buyer has direct access to MLS to find a property. Once they find one they like they contact the selling agent to view the home. If they like what they see they put down $200 DD and 1% earnest money for a two week interval to get the property inspected and appraised. Boom, no buyer's agent is necessary and the whole process is fair for all the parties involved.
They have that. It's called the INTERNET. Unfortunately those sites are usually updated once a day, while an MLS can be set up to notify by the second. Finding a home is easy, getting to closing is the tricky part. You're either just trying to stir the pot, or you are completely clueless to buying and selling real estate.

I saw a home in Cary last weekend priced below $300k. Within 24 hours it had 25+ showings, and 6 offers. $1,000 in DD and it sold over asking. It was not priced way below value either. It was a good home in a great neighborhood.

While high DD sounds bad, how many transactions do you guys honestly lose a year? Out of 30-40 you might lose 3-4, because most issues can be corrected. Buying a home is a risk and you have to put some skin in the game.

The plus side to this market means it will start to really appreciate. Too many sellers have little to no equity and are unable to sell. Once the values start to come back up, inventory will also rise because people can finally break even or make a few bucks. Then we can move to a normal market where DD fees are more reasonable. DD is a double edge sword. Too little and the buyer can walk with little repercussion. Too much and they might lose their shorts if things go south. DD will return to normal when the market stabilizes and inventory goes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary