Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 10:04 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,938,241 times

Advertisements

I received my first summons to appear for jury duty in NC. It states "business casual" attire however I haven't worked since being in NC and have no clue what to wear. At my husbands job in RTP some people wear shorts and T shirts to work. I know not to wear that but I don't own anything other than jeans or capris that I could pair with a nice blouse that would even come close to business casual. I also don't have any other shoes but sandals, boots (which are too hot to wear right now) and tennis shoes :-(

I recently went to court with my daughter (she received a speeding ticket) and I told her to wear a nice skirt and blouse because she would be in front of the judge but I saw people in leggings, ragged Tshirts etc. Will a nice pair of jeans or capris with a dressier blouse and sandals be OK? What did you see people wear when you were called in?

Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,934,977 times
I've seen everything and anything in court, and I've seen judges order some individuals to change clothes or cover up before appearing before the court.

There is such a range, that anything reasonable you wear is going to be fine, and not likely to stand out much.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:23 AM

214 posts, read 695,174 times
You will see everything from men in suits to people who look like indigents, so if you wore jeans and sneakers no one would bat an eye.

However, personally I would recommend the 30 Rock Princess Leah look.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:45 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,677,016 times
Nothing says "I'm ready for jury duty" more than Richard Simmons workout attire. 70's shorts and a headband is the way to go. Since you're female be sure to wear leg warmers.

Old 05-31-2013, 10:48 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Just look decent, unless you wanna take some PPs advice and look really weird and see if you can get dismissed—but then you might annoy the judge. I had jury duty in Orange Co (was seated on the jury, too) in July a couple of years ago and I think clothes like cut-off shorts were frowned upon, but I'm sure capris and sandals would be fine.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:09 PM

1,215 posts, read 1,808,960 times
I'd play it safe and skip the jeans and t-shirts. Slacks and a nice top would be acceptable. If you don't have anything other than jeans or capris, check out Target or Walmart. I've bought plain elastic waist knit pants that look nice when you dress them up with a cute top.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:30 PM

804 posts, read 2,003,884 times
i agree with those saying skip the jeans & tshirt. people will show up in "whatever" but they usualy get the side-eye from someone.

wearing dressy capris with a nice blouse & sandals would be fine.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:54 PM

142 posts, read 223,604 times
Capris and a nice top. If you get cold easily, you might want to bring a sweater too. I was called in for jury selection, was chosen to serve, and the trial started right away, that very day. If the AC is churning you might end up staying for hours in a (possibly) cold courtroom, so having a sweater or jacket would be nice, just in case.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:33 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Nah, don't go buy anything special. Totally unnecessary unless you're the one appearing before the judge. Avoid wearing your raggedy old AC/DC shirt, but you'll be fine in something nice and casual. If you have nice jeans they would probably be okay, but I'd probably go with the capris.

I did go to Target and buy something because I was worried about it, but thought it was totally unnecessarily after the experience. You'll note I also got seated on the jury? Was it because I went to Target and got something "business casual" to wear? I doubt it, but maybe if I'd been wearing something different I wouldn't have been selected.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:00 PM

278 posts, read 576,972 times
I think they still only pay $12 a day, don't spend money on clothes. I vote for the capris as well. I was on last summer, did not get picked, and the week ended on Tuesday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary