Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 05:59 AM

13 posts, read 23,531 times

Advertisements

How much "should" you update the master bathroom in order to sell? We are going to replace the shower with a tile shower because it needs to be done, replace flooring with tile, update light fixtures, take down the one big mirror and replace with two mirrors over the sinks, replace faucets on sinks and garden tub. The vanity is fine, but now the question is, do we also take out the countertop and replace it with granite? Is that necessary? And we should be doing tile in the shower rather than replacing with an all in one like ReBath, right? We are talking about the $250-300K price range house. When I look at houses comparable to ours that are on the market it doesn't seem that most have updated the master bath, but I also don't know if when we go to sell our house, if houses will be getting bought up as quickly as they are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Tile rather than ReBath? Yes! And it should cost less, I would think.

What are the counters now?
I would not expect granite in that price range, but a molded marble beats the heck out of formica tops with drop in sinks.

And are the vanities 30" high or 36" high?
Many people see 30" high vanities as something that needs to be replaced immediately.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:25 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Tile definitely.

As to the countertop, after you done all this why stop just short of wow?

Granite remnants are not spendy. I bet you could find one that would make your bathroom a knockout.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:29 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
As to the countertop, after you done all this why stop just short of wow?
Because you're never going to recoup 100% of what you spend on the updates.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
I wouldn't expect granite in that price range, but it might look weird to have all new surfaces except on the counters. Remnants don't cost a whole lot, but don't forget to factor in the cost of the sinks themselves and weigh that against cultured marble.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:54 AM

13 posts, read 23,531 times
We now have that typical builder solid molded marble countertop.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:25 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apex4us View Post
We now have that typical builder solid molded marble countertop.
If the countertop is otherwise fresh-looking, I wouldn't bother in your price range.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:38 AM

544 posts, read 852,601 times
I wouldn’t think granite would be a must-do.

When I re-did my master bath, I had a cultured marble shower pan, cultured marble walls and a semi-frameless enclosure installed. It’s a clean, bright look with easy maintenance. I replaced the garden tub with a normal-style marble long tub, (so a normal sized adult could actually use it) that is integrated into the shower.

I had the cultured marble vanity buffed out – I concluded that spending the extra money on a new one wasn’t worth it.

When I look at real estate photos from houses in my neighborhood, which is a similar price point, I seldom see any with updated master baths.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:43 AM

838 posts, read 2,525,458 times
Have you talked to a listing agent yet? Would strongly recommend to get a walk-through before you do any updating. They will be able to tell you what should be done for your price point and area.

Don't think you will get back anywhere near what you're talking about doing come sale-time. Possibly if you did all the work yourself.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian65 View Post
Have you talked to a listing agent yet? Would strongly recommend to get a walk-through before you do any updating. They will be able to tell you what should be done for your price point and area.

Don't think you will get back anywhere near what you're talking about doing come sale-time. Possibly if you did all the work yourself.
I agree with this! Your agent should be able to give you advice on what you should and shouldn't do.

I had a client that wanted to "surprise" me. He decided to do some painting BEFORE I came to see his house.

The DARK brown he chose for his downstairs hallway was too dark and the beige he chose for his dining room looked pink in sunlight! Yes, it was a surprise!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary