Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:48 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,210,752 times

Advertisements

So, we're renting this house with the option to eventually buy, and the way things are going, I'm ready to run away now!!!

We're in a 1.5 story house with the upstairs having two of the kids' bedrooms, bonus, and bath. The AC unit for the upstairs died at least a month ago. WIthout it, it's been 86-92 degrees. The property owner had a big name company come in and the said it needs a new TMX or TBX?? (this house is less than 10 years old and service worker says it's a top-line unit out there). Price quoted was about 1,000 for the big company, so landlord called in a smaller local guy and price was more! So, she hasn't committed to having it fixed and I'm tired of my kids having to sleep downstairs-our sofa has been a sleeping bag-covered bed now for 4 weeks! They cant spend time in their rooms, have friends over, etc because it is so HOT up there! Well, they could, but they would be very uncomfortable.
Does this sound like a reasonable cost? If anyone has had a company do this for less, please give me the name so I can give to landlord. This situation is frustrating, to say the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 09:07 PM

43,350 posts, read 77,219,919 times
How about a "TXV valve?"

Not cheap, partly due to the time required to drain and refill the coolant.
I don't know if the pricing is right, but fooling around with Google, I saw $725--$1500. Of course some of the forums were old, and you don't know where they are in the country.

But, to me, the bottom line is that your landlord should pony up and get it fixed.
Do you have a written lease?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
How about a "TXV valve?"

Not cheap, partly due to the time required to drain and refill the coolant.
I don't know if the pricing is right, but fooling around with Google, I saw $725--$1500. Of course some of the forums were old, and you don't know where they are in the country.

But, to me, the bottom line is that your landlord should pony up and get it fixed.
Do you have a written lease?
TXV! That's it!!
We had a lease from 7/1/12 for a year. I told them about the AC when I hand-delivered the June rent. I was also told we'd sit down "soon" and discuss a new lease as they want to raise the rent.
They are not typical landlords. They had an offer on another, smaller, less expensive house and I think maybe they didnt want this sitting vacant. Talking to a neighbor, many homes out here have decreased values, making it hard for people to sell without coming to closing w/ money. (this happened where we lived, so did a short sale and cant buy for 3 years). SO, they've never been landlords before, and admitted they are not good at it, but the deal was, we'd maintain the property and they'd pay for repairs.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
TXV! That's it!!
We had a lease from 7/1/12 for a year. I told them about the AC when I hand-delivered the June rent. I was also told we'd sit down "soon" and discuss a new lease as they want to raise the rent.
They are not typical landlords. They had an offer on another, smaller, less expensive house and I think maybe they didnt want this sitting vacant. Talking to a neighbor, many homes out here have decreased values, making it hard for people to sell without coming to closing w/ money. (this happened where we lived, so did a short sale and cant buy for 3 years). SO, they've never been landlords before, and admitted they are not good at it, but the deal was, we'd maintain the property and they'd pay for repairs.
You might point out to them that IF you move out, a month or two of vacancy will cost a LOT more than a TXV valve, which they will have to pay for sooner or later.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
You might point out to them that IF you move out, a month or two of vacancy will cost a LOT more than a TXV valve, which they will have to pay for sooner or later.
haha-so true!!! Then they will probably have to pay for all of the other issues in this house too-like ceiling fans that don't work and are too high for us to reach, leaking showers, cracked grout in tub, etc.....

Old 07-08-2013, 09:56 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,477,457 times
They should be able to pump the refrigerant down into the condenser no need to recover it.

You might have a case for withholding rent, check into the local tenant laws. In another state our furnace went out and it was getting COLD at night. Eventually it got to the point where I told the property manager we would no longer be paying rent and would be leaving if it wasn't fixed. A few days later we had heat again.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Never unilaterally withhold rent in NC. It is not allowed in landlord/tenant law.
You would have to have a judgment to allow it.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Never unilaterally withhold rent in NC. It is not allowed in landlord/tenant law.
You would have to have a judgment to allow it.
This is why I like CD, good info! Do you know of any recourse a tenant has? I can't imagine one would have to continue paying rent in a situation like I had, no heat in winter. How hard is it to get a judgement? Process?

I own my home but I'm just curious.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 AM

North Carolina
Landlord/Tenant Handout
Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections: North Carolina
Tenant Duties in North Carolina
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/gascript...l?Chapter=0042

From the sticky on the CD Renting Forum.
State Landlord Tenant Laws

And, I don't really know the process, but I'm thinking small claims.
I would be more the type to just get out of Dodge than trying to obtain a judgment and enforce it on my landlord. It just doesn't seem like it would promote a future harmonious relationship.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Absolutely not, but if under a lease is not the tenant required to keep paying? Of course if you have nothing to lose go for it, but I'd be concerned about being on the hook for the remaining balance of the term. It appears however that the OP is out of lease so not an issue, this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary