Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 AM

45 posts, read 147,403 times

Advertisements

Hi, I could sure use some input from those on this group who still use Time Warner Cable (TWC). We use TWC for three services; Internet Connectivity, Cable TV and Phone. We also subscribe to many extra channels and the cost has become extreme (250+ per month) we plan to make the following changes.

1. Maintain the Internet service provided by TWC at the basic speed (no high speed option)

2. Eliminate the voice over IP (VOIP) service provided by TWC and replace it with an OOMA device. I am concerned about the function of Ooma with our alarm system (have any of you done this successfully) I want the alarm monitoring process to be as seamless as it is with TWC phone service.

3. Subscribe to TWC's basic cable service. My only concern is loosing some of the channels we do enjoy. Like the food channel (this would be a real hot button if it went away). It is very hard (at least for me) to determine what channels are included in the is included with the Basic cable service.

I feel TWC has provided good and dependable service for the most part. But when reviewing out large recurring monthly bills I honestly got sticker stock when I saw what we are currently paying. In fact it seems to have gone up $12 just in the past month or so. We do have an Apple TV device and recently received a ROKU as a gift. These devices provide many alternative methods of watching content we enjoy and currently get from TWC. Admittedly some of this options require the purchase of a movie or show but at least it's an option.

I welcome feedback and advice from others who have struggled with these decisions previously.

Thanks too everyone for all the meaningful feedback, advice and sharing of experiences that this group has provided over the years. It has been an invaluable resource to me in so many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
Well, our first year trial that we signed up for (advertised at 99/month was really 129+ taxes & fees) and we get the high speed internet, home phone, and I don't know what cable-I don't really watch tv-been here a year and havent learned the chanels, but my husband watches some of the HD chanels. We just got a letter saying that our special rate was up and our new bill will be 200-something a month but they were giving us a "special" for awhile at 159/month (after taxes & fees I'm sure it will be close to 180, at least. Since we have no friends and have only 2 family members that call from out of state, we're thinking of getting rid of the home phone-something I don't want to do because I like the kids' schools having a land line number. I asked how much our bill would go down and it as 40.00 less without the landline. Since we get at least 3 nuisance calls a day, and maybe 4/month from family, seems it might be worth it not to have it. Then maybe the'd eliminate our temporary 'special" rate and we could still be paying the 160/month. Our internet is spotty-some days it's so slow I give up for a few hours and come back.
In WI when we left, our bill was 168/month, but it had crept up over the years from 109/month for all 3 services.
I'm wondering what I'd do without a landline if I need to fax anything-only happens a few times a year, but still something i like to be able to do. But, I am tired of paying for something I rarely use.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,946,740 times
We have the triple play but not much in the way of add-ons. Our phone is the Carolinas-only long distance package, not nationwide. Internet is standard and the speed is quite good; we provide our own modem. For cable TV we have HD digital with one DVR, no add on tiers or premium channels. Our bill is $190/mo. I'm probably going to drop the phone soon and go without a house phone - I don't expect my bill to drop much as the services are unbundled.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:29 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
I pay $83/mo for HD cable (no premium channels) and 20M down, 2M Up internet access. 1 DVR and two TVs. At some point I will drop cable TV and stream desired content since we watch all of maybe 4 channels. For phone I'm using Obihai and free-for-now Google Voice. No monthly charge for unlimited local and long distance. e911 service through Anveo is $12/yr.

Two years ago I renegotiated my bill from $120/mo to $63/mo for the same service. Cancelled all cable and they called back with new pricing and no contract. Since then my bill has gone up $10 each year...I'm OK with that. I figure when the bill hits $120/mo again I'll be ready for streaming. All my video components have wifi and built in apps for streaming.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:31 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,603,148 times
I am actually calling DirecTV today... TWC sucks!

Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM

128 posts, read 346,007 times
My wife and I just recently gave us on TWC. Our price-lock guarantee recently expired but as the date was approaching TWC started providing us with promotional rate mailings. They were telling us that we were going to get new promotional rates, blah blah. When the first bill came in with the new promotional rate our bill went from $145 to $160. Great promotional pricing guys. This service included High-Speed Internet 30MB download and HD TV. After cutting the service we signed up for Netflix and Hulu + and play these services either on our Apple TV or Roku 3. Alternatively we can use a laptop for additional shows that both services offer.

As for your concerns when we signed on for our home alarm system we did not have a landline. The alarm company's now offer service using wireless signal but it would most likely require upgraded gear.

I understand that one of your biggest concerns is that you continue to get Food Network. Unfortunately scaling back to basic cable would not give you that channel. However the Roku 3 box does have a Food Network Nighttime App that allows you to watch a scaled back version of Food Network. I will say if you're a fan of Gordon Ramsey shows it seems that all his content is on Hulu +.

ABC*
CBS*
CSPAN
CSPAN 2
CSPAN 3
CW*
Fox*
Galavision
HSN*
NBC*
PBS*
QVC*
SHOP NBC
TBN
TBS*
Telemundo*
Univision*

At the end of the day if you scale back or even cut cable to choose alternatives, sacrifices will be made. However the cost savings and time you get back to do other things is more than worth it for us.

Let us know what you decide!

-P

Old 07-25-2013, 08:34 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,293,986 times
I pay $65 for TWC cable internet and basic cable. The internet service is $45 (signed up through earthlink) no modem fee. Basic cable is around $18.

With the basic cable you get ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, ION all in HD. I also get CW, USA, and UNC-TV, My-TV and a few other random stations, but not in HD. Not many channels, but quite frankly I've started watching less and less TV these days since most of it is junk.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,209 times
Just negotiated with Time Warner Cable for my mother. She has Digitial Cable(no premium channels) and Internet(regular speed). We dropped digital phone because I brought OOma for her for the house phone. Let me say just say that Ooma is the best thing since sliced bread...It's call quality is better than Vonage and it really is crystal clear along with voicemail, 3waycalling, etc. We just got the first bill from Ooma....Its was $4.31...The new bill with Time Warner is $117.76 for 12mts.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM

843 posts, read 2,101,313 times
I was on the phone with them the last 30 minutes. Right now I have HS (15 mg) internet, digital phone and digital TV. I pay $125 a month

I want to drop to standard cable (Channels up to 73) and the same internet. No phone. Told them bill with tax must be below $100 and they wont do it. $108 is best they will do. That was through the retention dept. I told them I was leaving unless they got me below $100. No can do.

They say the internet below my speed will not stream radio or support wireless. Such a rip off. My wife will divorce me if we dont have Sci-fi channel and food network....lol

Old 07-25-2013, 09:42 AM

770 posts, read 2,754,792 times
Just cancel everything , someone ( not a local) will call you back within six hours and offer you all the services for around $75 month for 2 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye_Olde_Thumper View Post
Hi, I could sure use some input from those on this group who still use Time Warner Cable (TWC). We use TWC for three services; Internet Connectivity, Cable TV and Phone. We also subscribe to many extra channels and the cost has become extreme (250+ per month) we plan to make the following changes.

1. Maintain the Internet service provided by TWC at the basic speed (no high speed option)

2. Eliminate the voice over IP (VOIP) service provided by TWC and replace it with an OOMA device. I am concerned about the function of Ooma with our alarm system (have any of you done this successfully) I want the alarm monitoring process to be as seamless as it is with TWC phone service.

3. Subscribe to TWC's basic cable service. My only concern is loosing some of the channels we do enjoy. Like the food channel (this would be a real hot button if it went away). It is very hard (at least for me) to determine what channels are included in the is included with the Basic cable service.

I feel TWC has provided good and dependable service for the most part. But when reviewing out large recurring monthly bills I honestly got sticker stock when I saw what we are currently paying. In fact it seems to have gone up $12 just in the past month or so. We do have an Apple TV device and recently received a ROKU as a gift. These devices provide many alternative methods of watching content we enjoy and currently get from TWC. Admittedly some of this options require the purchase of a movie or show but at least it's an option.

I welcome feedback and advice from others who have struggled with these decisions previously.

Thanks too everyone for all the meaningful feedback, advice and sharing of experiences that this group has provided over the years. It has been an invaluable resource to me in so many ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary