Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 02:40 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,734,458 times

Advertisements

I don't get the out of state attraction for UNC. Sure it is a fine state university, but well, ah no buts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM

221 posts, read 247,883 times
My impression and this is based on what I have had over the years is UNC is kind of a "chick" college and a lot of the young women are hippie-ish. I've heard the professors can be pretty preachy about their various political causes ...."social justice" kind of stuff that shouldn't be introduced in the college classroom.

I would have to go to NC State or UNC-Charlotte because engineering/science majors aren't as conducive for professors who want to political soapbox. I think UNC's effeminate atmosphere would be a nightmare. I guess the problem is UNC-Charlotte and NC State might be allmost all males but I don't know that for sure. Engineering programs tend to be majority male, usually 90 percent male.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:58 PM

221 posts, read 247,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I don't get the out of state attraction for UNC. Sure it is a fine state university, but well, ah no buts.
I think it is because it is in a warmer state, but not that far from the northeast, plus it is one of the oldest colleges in the states.

It seems like a huge percentage of students up north come down south for college. It doesn't seem like any high school students in NJ stay in NJ for college, for example. Apparently even the University of West Virginia is like 50 percent NJ students. LOL

Old 08-28-2013, 03:02 PM

77 posts, read 188,610 times
A lot of folks pay a lot of attention (too much, IMO) to the US News & World Report college rankings (and similar lists) and UNC is consistently ranked highly among public universities and ALL universities. I think that those rankings combined with the popularity and general success of the basketball program plus the mild weather create a big draw for out-of-state students.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
I It doesn't seem like any high school students in NJ stay in NJ for college, for example. Apparently even the University of West Virginia is like 50 percent NJ students. LOL
That's because there aren't that many universities in New Jersey. I went to a large university in the mid-Atlantic, and we used to say the same thing - half of the school was from New Jersey!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:56 PM

556 posts, read 946,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush6317 View Post
I am curious. Does anybody in NC think UNC is overrated? Is it really that much better than other large state universities? I understand it is more difficult to get into but does that mean the education is better and more challenging than other colleges?

Thanks.
Schools in the UNC system fall into several tiers. I see UNC-CH and NCSU as peers and co-flagships, with different/complementary academic offerings. Both are among the best public universities in the country, and are also relatively highly ranked among all schools regardless of public/private status. A notch down, there are a bunch of schools that are very good in state/regional terms, and offer one or two programs that are among the best in the field (e.g. ECU for primary medicine, UNCW for marine science). Then there are the schools that are good for getting a bachelors, but don't really have any stand out programs.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
UGA and UNC are on the same level with an edge currently going to UNC. Auburn isn't even close to those two.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 PM

28 posts, read 47,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
UGA and UNC are on the same level with an edge currently going to UNC. Auburn isn't even close to those two.
I think the CEO of Apple would disagree with you. So would I. Auburn is one of the best engineering schools and Vet schools in the South.

As for the three schools, it depends on what your kid wants to do? Do they want to go into engineering? Be a Vet, be a doctor. You mention environmental science. You might also look at the University of Florida. They have a pretty robust environmental engineer program. Probably more so than Auburn. Its more of a Science and Engineering school, with a growing liberal arts program.

Its crazy safe, but if you leave the town and venture out into other parts of Alabama, they can be very sad and depressing, and you will quickly realize what true poverty is. The town is going thru the same growth/growing pains that Cary is going thru. Lots of people moving in, and very few moving out. The beauty of Auburn is its small. Its about 20 thousand undergrads. The town is growing. In some ways it is a lot like Cary, it just surrounds a University.

I dont know about LSU, but I wouldn't worry about safety at Bama either. It was on my list as well, but when I was trying to decide between it and Auburn(I come from NC), the amount of Greek life at Bama was a huge deterrent. I didnt see a point of paying people to be my friends, but a lot of kids really like the Greek Scene. Auburn is not really your place if thats important to your kid.

In the end, your kid will get out of any school whatever they put into. You can be as happy at any school as you want to be, you just have to be willing to invest the time and energy to get to know it and its quirks.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:53 PM

51 posts, read 112,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Given the three choices, this is about right. So much depends on what you want to study of course.

Expanding out in NC, Wake Forest would be a good option since you'd be paying out of state anyway. Not sure if Davidson has been mentioned, but its a great liberal arts school, and i mean excellent. Duke may have the same requirements as NC coming from out of State. Ncsu is fine for engineering, but we can be honest and say most other programs at ncsu are substandard (and if you want Engineering, stay in CA).

The other schools in NC aren't worth a consideration coming in from out of state unless you're committed to staying in NC.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:03 PM

298 posts, read 628,375 times
Thank you again for all the comments. Lots of opinions and lots to consider. Let the chips fall where they may. I'm sure wherever she ends up it will be the right place for her. Also, thanks for the comments on safety. It is a genuine concern of mine. Not mine daughters, of coarse, she's invincible , and mom's being silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary