Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 01:43 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,608,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteann View Post
We are thinking of buying at the Park at Langston off of Optimist Farm Road. If the orange route is implemented, then I'm hearing the 540 will be less than a mile north of this neighborhood. I'm not sure if traffic will be heard so close and how that will affect price values. Does anyone know at what point values go up or down depending on proximity to a major highway like that?
I don't think that anyone can answer how real estate prices will react based on proximity to the freeway. Granted, they will go down if you can reach it with your 3-wood, but how far away it has to be before values stay the same or increase? Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 01:51 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
And I think it will be a very very very long time before there's enough volume on the toll road for there to be a noise issue. Especially a mile away.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:19 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
I would say also that good access to it is crucial if there is to be any positive benefit.

I would assume worst case is visual or sound impact with no direct access off your main road and you have to drive 2 miles on three streets to get to it.

Maybe best case is its out of sight and beyond hearing it, but maybe less than a mile from the main road your subdivision is off to get to an exit.

Then again, that's pretty much my thinking looking at a house, but I'm no appraiser.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,456 times
You are lucky but the buyer of your house is VERY unlucky. It is not a moment to be happy.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:54 PM

62 posts, read 127,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I will respectfully offer up that this thread irks me.

OP-did you start this thread because you are genuinely concerned for your former neighbors in
Sunset Oaks? The reason that I ask is that it is pretty easy to interpret this thread as much as a
"nyah-nyah, we sold our house in Sunset Oaks before the sky fell" than as a thread offering information. My guess is that you wouldn't be starting threads about the possibility of 540 bordering Brighton Forest if that was on the table.

This thread also contains quite a few inaccuracies about exactly what is going on here and could frankly
encourage the spread of falsehoods about exactly what this new study is, why it is going on, etc.

My brother lives in Sunset Oaks. I live in The Park at West Lake. These neighborhoods both border the Purple route. While I have no plans to move and my home is in a location that will not be directly impacted
should the Purple route become reality, my brother is faced with different challenges in that he had planned to put his home on the market next year.

At the end of the day I have very little concern about the Purple route ever being viewed as viable on multiple levels. That's why I am all the more troubled by the possibility of people becoming misinformed about the status of the last section of 540. As Mr. Jaquish pointed out above, the DOT already owns substantial portions of the orange route. They have been acquiring this property for decades. The last 20 plus years of development in the southern sector has been guided and implemented by this route. Not only would the proper entities have to acquire all of the new property and get into serious eminent domain issues, but they would have to at some point dispose of substantial parcels of land whose value would be affected negatively by the fact that 540 was not passing thru the way it was supposed to since the '90s.

Due diligence is really important. I don't get my information from Henny Penny-if anyone is genuinely concerned about this study they should do the research, participate as they see fit in the process, and not get caught up in the scuttlebutt.
I have many friends in Sunset oaks and am generally concerned, I loved that neighborhood while I lived there and still visit people often. Definitely not trying to put it in people's faces. I understand why you would see it that way though. I was just putting this up as I heard it from my former neighbor. I apologize if there was mis-information, just stating what I heard.

Old 10-15-2013, 05:06 PM

120 posts, read 236,449 times
Did anyone attend the meetings about the route?

Old 10-15-2013, 05:40 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,256,639 times
According to the news, nothing has been confirmed. There will be more meetings for the public to voice their opinions.

I thought a woman on the news had a good point, which was...How is Raleigh going to have the funds to buy 600 homes?!!

Let's don't bother the wildlife but instead, we should displace 600 families? How is that even logical?

Vicki

Old 10-15-2013, 05:48 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,576,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
According to the news, nothing has been confirmed. There will be more meetings for the public to voice their opinions.

I thought a woman on the news had a good point, which was...How is Raleigh going to have the funds to buy 600 homes?!!

Let's don't bother the wildlife but instead, we should displace 600 families? How is that even logical?

Vicki

Do not try to apply logic to the workings of government

Old 10-15-2013, 07:09 PM

9,146 posts, read 14,775,028 times
It's the NC DOT that has to buy the homes and land and there's a reason why roads cost hundreds of millions.

Not saying it isn't stupid to have to consider that option over the long reserved route.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:23 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post

Vicki
I was assuming that was the real plan behind the $75 million transportation bond that was passed last week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary