Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisstheSea View Post
What streets in Sunset Oaks would have houses at risk for being demolished? That seems crazy!
Heck, the Red Route would decimate the Town of Garner. Residential and industrial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
You probably know more about this than I do, given your profession, but I'd be interested to see what the population densities were when the orange route was drawn up vs. today.

My first pass at the map says that the purple route would serve more people (FV and points south).
I wonder about population densities. I agree that ongoing confusion is affecting home and land owners in S and SE Wake County.

But, I also wonder about the connection to I40 at the New Bethel Church/ US 70 area
Would swinging so far south to meet the Purple route persuade through traffic on I40 to ignore the Lilac route and just continue to use 40? If it turns out that Purple is the Path, I wonder if it wouldn't be more useful to swing farther south crossing NC50 to connect to 40 in the south Drugstore Rd area. Then continuing N on 40 to complete the Loop with the planned route to Knightdale.

Eh. What do I know?

Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM

62 posts, read 127,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisstheSea View Post
What streets in Sunset Oaks would have houses at risk for being demolished? That seems crazy!
parts of Skygrove Drive (road I lived on), Sunset Oaks drive, and Grantwood drive.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:47 PM

46 posts, read 91,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&AmandainNC View Post
parts of Skygrove Drive (road I lived on), Sunset Oaks drive, and Grantwood drive.
I'm sorry to hear that. I can't imagine it would happen, but I'm sure many of those of us who don't even live near there will express our unhappiness with this proposal.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:07 PM

164 posts, read 287,620 times
Thank God we went under contract on a house in Sunset Oaks, pulled our oldest out of preschool, and gave notice to our landlord that we were moving, only to flip on the local news last week to see a reporter standing *in* our future driveway saying "this home could be destroyed to make room for the purple route."

...said no one ever.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernInSeattle View Post
Thank God we went under contract on a house in Sunset Oaks, pulled our oldest out of preschool, and gave notice to our landlord that we were moving, only to flip on the local news last week to see a reporter standing *in* our future driveway saying "this home could be destroyed to make room for the purple route."

...said no one ever.
Eminent Domain and demolition might be better news than moving into that spiffy custom love shack just to have a freeway 150 feet behind it.

Wonder if we can shut down the feds and get the pavement up before they get back in business?
Likely not....

Old 09-30-2013, 03:19 PM

613 posts, read 746,729 times
Don't build 540. In the long run it'll only make traffic worse. That's exactly what it did to North Raleigh. North Raleigh was tolerable until 540. I remember the warnings, unheeded. They were right. it will make traffic worse.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,190,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&AmandainNC View Post
Not quite. From all the back and forth we've been reading here (which extends way beyond what the HOA sent out today), the Sunset Oaks Drive entrance and street would stay intact. The single street affected by removal of houses based on the map we received from DOT is Grantwood. This route would swing miles out of the way, cross twice as many streams as the orange route and would impact the runoff into those streams as it runs along side some of those streams/creeks and doesn't just cross them. So much for protecting streams. Also, this route does not have any buffer built in like the orange corridor has since it has been protected since the 1990s. From what we understand, the Dwarf Wedgemussel they want to protect has not been found in over a year anyway. No land has been acquired on this route now listed as an option and the cost would be exponentially more than keeping with the orange route since DOT owns 20% of the orange route already. NC DOT will make a decision by the end of the year which route will be studied in detail. Supposedly.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncsmomndad View Post
Not quite. From all the back and forth we've been reading here (which extends way beyond what the HOA sent out today), the Sunset Oaks Drive entrance and street would stay intact. The single street affected by removal of houses based on the map we received from DOT is Grantwood. This route would swing miles out of the way, cross twice as many streams as the orange route and would impact the runoff into those streams as it runs along side some of those streams/creeks and doesn't just cross them. So much for protecting streams. Also, this route does not have any buffer built in like the orange corridor has since it has been protected since the 1990s. From what we understand, the Dwarf Wedgemussel they want to protect has not been found in over a year anyway. No land has been acquired on this route now listed as an option and the cost would be exponentially more than keeping with the orange route since DOT owns 20% of the orange route already. NC DOT will make a decision by the end of the year which route will be studied in detail. Supposedly.
My money is on the Orange route, with a possible split to the Lilac route.

But, I don't know that DOT will be able to proceed to the detailed study without the blessings of the Feds.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:40 PM

51 posts, read 83,578 times
My opnion doesn't matter but I think the southern 540 extension is unnecessary. We all moved out this far - away from the highways and traffic - for a reason. It is beautiful, clean and quiet out here. I don't mind driving more than 30 minutes to get to where I need to go.

I wish they would just drop the entire thing. For it to be pursued this relentlessly makes me think that its eventual completion is lining someone's pockets with gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary