Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 04:26 PM

679 posts, read 810,177 times

Advertisements

We have been looking at homes in Holly Springs and was wondering now that the toll road has been open for a while, what is the commute like on the toll road from HS to the Hopson Road exit and vice versa? I would be travelling during rush hour, leaving home around 8am and leaving work anywhere from 5-6pm. How is the traffic compared to 540 in North Raleigh during rush hour? Are there any backups trying to get onto the toll road in HS and off the toll road in HS? Trying to get a feeling for how long I would be sitting in traffic. Of course if we decide to move to HS we would give it a few trial runs to make sure we could handle the commute. Right now I have ~25-30 minute commute and sometimes longer depending on traffic so I'm hoping that even though HS would be further in distance that with the toll road the commute time wouldn't be much, if any, longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,357,618 times
From friends who drive on the NC-540 Toll Road, it is lightly used during rush hour (or any other time of the day).

Old 09-30-2013, 05:11 PM

525 posts, read 1,298,256 times
I hate my house. I wish they would build a highway over it!

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
We have been looking at homes in Holly Springs and was wondering now that the toll road has been open for a while, what is the commute like on the toll road from HS to the Hopson Road exit and vice versa? I would be travelling during rush hour, leaving home around 8am and leaving work anywhere from 5-6pm. How is the traffic compared to 540 in North Raleigh during rush hour? Are there any backups trying to get onto the toll road in HS and off the toll road in HS? Trying to get a feeling for how long I would be sitting in traffic. Of course if we decide to move to HS we would give it a few trial runs to make sure we could handle the commute. Right now I have ~25-30 minute commute and sometimes longer depending on traffic so I'm hoping that even though HS would be further in distance that with the toll road the commute time wouldn't be much, if any, longer.
Where are you now? The toll road here is NOT very busy yet.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:58 PM

679 posts, read 810,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Where are you now? The toll road here is NOT very busy yet.
I'm in Raleigh, off 70 near Duraleigh Rd. My current commute to work is 70 to 540 to 40 W to the Page Rd exit. Or if traffic is heavy on 540 I take back roads instead of getting on 540. The commute to work isn't too bad now, but in the evenings it is pretty much stop and go. I'm looking for a commute that has less traffic, even if it takes a little longer. I'd rather drive farther to and from work and actually be driving than be closer and just sitting in traffic, if that makes sense.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:17 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,584,994 times
I have been on it a few times during rush hour and its lightly used and no back ups. Took about 15 minutes from rtp to his 55 exit.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-30-2013, 09:58 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
I'm in Raleigh, off 70 near Duraleigh Rd. My current commute to work is 70 to 540 to 40 W to the Page Rd exit. Or if traffic is heavy on 540 I take back roads instead of getting on 540. The commute to work isn't too bad now, but in the evenings it is pretty much stop and go. I'm looking for a commute that has less traffic, even if it takes a little longer. I'd rather drive farther to and from work and actually be driving than be closer and just sitting in traffic, if that makes sense.
Yeah. From HS is way less congested. Way.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:16 AM

101 posts, read 189,005 times
When I do go into the office from HS (usually work from home), it takes me about 20-25 minutes max to get from the HS entrance to the exit to 40. I get off at 40/Durham then exit at 55. Last time I actually timed the drive it was 22 minutes door to door (of course I go slightly over the speed limit). There is rarely many cars on the toll road.

Old 10-01-2013, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 28,264 times
As others have said, the toll road is pretty empty at any time of day or night from my experience. depending on where you are in Holly Springs, getting to on ramp to 540 will be where you hit the most traffic. I live on the eastern side of HS, and find that it doesn't save me much time at all to drive across town to 540 versus taking 40.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:34 PM

513 posts, read 696,037 times
The toll road is always dead because most people completely oppose it. I would say your current commute time would be about the same as HS to RTP. It would get pricey though. I'm sure someone could give you the exact cost, but i think it would be ~3 each way. I know an exit in Apex is at 1.52 to the Morisville/Durham line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary