Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 08:05 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Yes, I am biased, but look at Preston Village. The school pyramid is Green Hope Elementary (in the neighborhood), Davis Drive Middle and Green Hope High.

There is a mix of custom and tract homes. Many of the tract homes have been upgraded. There is a great park in the neighborhood. We also have a neighborhood pool and swim team.

About six times/year, the neighborhood holds some type of event at the circle green or pool.

Homes have been selling very quickly, so there may not be much inventory, but homes do come on the market fairly regularly.

Tons of kids, friendly neighbors and a 10 minute ride to RTP, even at rush hour.

This has been an announcement from the Preston Village Chamber of Commerce.
LOL

Yes. If GHES was on the OP's list, Preston Villlage would be just the ticket!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:06 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Yes, I am biased, but look at Preston Village. The school pyramid is Green Hope Elementary (in the neighborhood), Davis Drive Middle and Green Hope High.

There is a mix of custom and tract homes. Many of the tract homes have been upgraded. There is a great park in the neighborhood. We also have a neighborhood pool and swim team.

About six times/year, the neighborhood holds some type of event at the circle green or pool.

Homes have been selling very quickly, so there may not be much inventory, but homes do come on the market fairly regularly.

Tons of kids, friendly neighbors and a 10 minute ride to RTP, even at rush hour.

This has been an announcement from the Preston Village Chamber of Commerce.
I agree. Preston Village is great. And the lots would meet the OP's requirements, too.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:11 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Plus when you start looking in the far western reaches of Wake County, you're ripe for reassignment anyway.

All school Mike mentioned are good, I know people who are happy at all of them. Weatherstone is now a STEM school, too.

Only complaint from GH parents is when they get to Davis Drive Middle they are overwhelmed with the work requirements - one parent told me last year they basically get no homework at GH and it's quite a shock when the kids get to middle school.
As a parent with one child currently at DDMS and another now at GHHS, I will state that this has not been our experience. Our kids were never burdened with too much homework. In fact, there are times when he brings home no homework and we have to check to make sure he is not blowing it off. Also, the kids at DDMS do get opportunities to complete some of their homework at school. Not sure of the details, but I do know that my kids do take advantage.

With regard to GHE, our youngest get homework every night. My sixth grader had homework at GHE every night.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
As a parent with one child currently at DDMS and another now at GHHS, I will state that this has not been our experience. Our kids were never burdened with too much homework. In fact, there are times when he brings home no homework and we have to check to make sure he is not blowing it off. Also, the kids at DDMS do get opportunities to complete some of their homework at school. Not sure of the details, but I do know that my kids do take advantage.

With regard to GHE, our youngest get homework every night. My sixth grader had homework at GHE every night.
I don't care one or another and am not making judgements. I'm simply telling you what a parent passed on to me last year, and it wasn't the first time I'd heard. I've also heard from straight the horse's mouth that the faculty can tell who came from which school. Again, I don't care - just passing on what I've heard verbatim. I've already posted my thoughts on DDE so it's not like I'm cheerleading one and dissing the other.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:19 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't care one or another and am not making judgements. I'm simply telling you what a parent passed on to me last year, and it wasn't the first time I'd heard. I've also heard from straight the horse's mouth that the faculty can tell who came from which school. Again, I don't care - just passing on what I've heard verbatim. I've already posted my thoughts on DDE so it's not like I'm cheerleading one and dissing the other.
Understand. I'm just making sure that first hand information is being relayed.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:19 AM

27 posts, read 129,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
DDES...

Your price point and home size requirements are high for Davis Drive ES. There is a certifiable mania about DDES, so half-decent homes in DDES assignment nodes sell fast and at premium prices compared to homes with other school assignments.
Upchurch Farm is a tract-built neighborhood that might work. You can get the home size, at a lower price. It adjoins the DDES/DDMS campus, so it has had pretty stable school assignment. Also has a community pool.
Wellesly may also work. But you will be at the top of the neighborhood, and while the homes were constructed by custom builders, you may see need for updating. And again, the good stuff sells at premium pricing in a day or two on the market. Community pool and tennis.

Mills Park ES
Cameron Pond. Good builder group. Be selective regarding the lot. Watch out for proximity to 540 and power lines. New and resale opportunities. Community pool.
Cary Park is a sprawling subdivision with many resale opportunities. Tract and custom. Pool. Large pond. Trails.
Weldon Ridge. Tract new construction and resale opportunities. Pool.

Highcroft ES
Start with Highcroft. Many homes have smaller lots than you want, but .25 acre lots exist. The neighborhood wraps around the school and community pool. Sears Farm Rd. Park on the Southeast side is just lovely. Be selective regarding the lot, due to some proximity to 540, and a proposed development between 540 and Highcroft.
The Reserve. All resales of 10-15 y.o homes, but a very pretty neighborhood with larger lots than Highcroft being the standard, not the exception. Community pool and Sears Farm Rd. adjacent on the north side.
Toscana. New. Tract. Some lots you will like. No pool.
Westvale. Local custom builder group. Uses Highcroft Village pool. Lot selection could matter, with tract stuff going up on both west and north sides. Cemetary on the east side, if that matters to you. But, it will sell out fairly quickly.
Thanks Mike. Excellent feedback! On Cameron Pond, you mentioned something about "power lines". What do you mean by that? Do some lots have power lines adjacent to them or do they have power lines running ABOVE the property? Are those high voltage lines or low voltage home distribution lines? Are we talking: health safety issue, noise, or asthetics/resale value?

Also, which subdivisions would you recommend for "community privacy" (i.e. no through traffic whatsoever, no outsiders having a reason to be there other than visiting a resident/socials/playdates, etc.)? Or are they all similar in that regard?

Old 10-24-2013, 10:45 AM

2,863 posts, read 4,674,752 times
Quote:
Understand. I'm just making sure that first hand information is being relayed.

This. It's the only RELEVANT information.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:47 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
The power lines at Cameron Pond are large high voltage lines which sit atop very large rusty poles that are an eyesore. These lines run right alongside the pool at Cameron Pond. They are an eyesore and of course some worry about health effects from these lines as well.

I think what others have said is a great point. There are many good elementary schools here in West Cary. My kids attend Highcroft but I know parents who are happy at many other schools in this area. In my experience whether your school is a good fit for your child can vary a lot year to year due to the teacher. My older son had a wasted year last year, but he's got a great teacher this year.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:58 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,984,591 times
Quote:

I'm having the same exact experience. There have been many nights since my 6th grader started at DDMS that I've checked her agenda and the Blackboard site to see why she has no homework. She apparently gets it done in class and in smart block. She usually has about 15 minutes of math homework a night, and that's it. She did say that some of the other 6th grade teams give out more homework in Science and Social Studies, so maybe that's it?

My youngest is in 3rd grade at GHE and she has about an hour of homework a night (including 20 minutes of reading). However, she is also incredibly sloooowwww with her homework, so not sure that's really accurate.

FWIW, both of mine attended Morrisville Elementary last year. My 6th grader definitely had more homework there than she does now. My 3rd grader didn't, but I remember homework increasing exponentially in 3rd grade with my oldest too (love EOGs!).

By the way -- I'd also recommend Preston Village. I love it here! (Hi neighbor!)

Old 10-24-2013, 11:01 AM

27 posts, read 129,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
The power lines at Cameron Pond are large high voltage lines which sit atop very large rusty poles that are an eyesore. These lines run right alongside the pool at Cameron Pond. They are an eyesore and of course some worry about health effects from these lines as well.

I think what others have said is a great point. There are many good elementary schools here in West Cary. My kids attend Highcroft but I know parents who are happy at many other schools in this area. In my experience whether your school is a good fit for your child can vary a lot year to year due to the teacher. My older son had a wasted year last year, but he's got a great teacher this year.
Thank you. This is helpful. We're noticing more and more power lines adjacent to high end homes that we like online in the area (I am talking about the low voltage home distribution lines). Is that a fairly accepted sight/fact in RTP (i.e. does it typically affect the value of a $500K+ home in RTP)? I am trying to make sense of it, as we don't typically have this issue in northern california.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary