Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 06:46 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
Agreed NRG, I'm in n. Raleigh too and have noticed almost no yellow jackets on my property compared to several nests in years past. Maybe they're moving away.....?
Wakefield here. PLENTY of bees this year - tons and tons. We don't mind and actually like them, but yellow jackets, while I'm sure they have their place in the environment, scare me a little bit mostly for my daughter's sake. I don't want her getting eaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 11:27 AM

76 posts, read 220,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
So they kill every insect in your entire yard..That sounds horrible for the ecosystem..
Sorry, when I say they spray the yard... I meant they search for and spray where needed... they literally don't cover my whole yard with spray

Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,208,969 times
two of my kids got stung within the past week-one was totally unprovoked-Now with my little guy: I didnt see what happened, so unsure, but they are bad!

Old 10-30-2013, 12:11 PM

1,056 posts, read 1,738,315 times
Yes they have been bad at our house, husband was stung 4 times while aerating the yard it was difficult to locate the hole because it was torn up from the aerator eventually found it sprayed it then covered a day after with soil per directions. Still see a few flying around afraid there may be another nest hope noone gets stung trick or treating tomorrow night.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafett4ever View Post
Sorry, when I say they spray the yard... I meant they search for and spray where needed... they literally don't cover my whole yard with spray
Good to know, I was worried about the mass killing

Old 10-31-2013, 08:44 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGRW View Post
Agreed NRG, I'm in n. Raleigh too and have noticed almost no yellow jackets on my property compared to several nests in years past. Maybe they're moving away.....?

Yellow jackets aren't bees, they're wasps. Bees make their combs out of wax while wasps chew up wood to make their combs out of a paper like substance. The workers can die over the winter, but the queen can live to lay more eggs next season.

Lots of bees have been dying in recent years due to something they call CCD. Bees are very important to our food supply and they're people out there that think the die off may be linked to use of pesticides. Bees are good!

Old 11-01-2013, 08:45 PM

449 posts, read 699,997 times
Question You mentioned Carpenter Bees...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I have recently destroyed two nests. The first time I used the long range spray without any luck. The second time I used the new (to me) foaming wasp spray. It is excellent. It is also good for Spring carpenter bees.
So, this spray has worked for you when dealing with those bees? What was your plan of attack?

The tennis racket just isn't cutting it anymore

Old 11-02-2013, 07:20 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,929,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblackey View Post
So, this spray has worked for you when dealing with those bees? What was your plan of attack?

The tennis racket just isn't cutting it anymore
You don't want to kill the carpenter bees. They are excellent pollinators, plus they don't sting...well only the female maybe but rarely. Just paint over or varnish whatever they are trying to tunnel in. Caulk the hole for a temporary fix.

Last edited by Poggly Woggly; 11-02-2013 at 07:28 AM..

Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM

1,701 posts, read 2,589,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
... after killing most of the inhabitants of the nest, I dug out the nest. Both were HUGE combs buried just below the surface ...
I've used spray cans to "nuke" yellowjacket nests many times. It always works. To my surprise, some creature of the night (possum?) digs out the nest. I suppose the digger eats the combs.

Daniel B. Martin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary