Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 03:53 PM

38 posts, read 61,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by busydesk View Post
Perhaps the reason you didn't see a lot of folks outside is that they were at church. Very popular Sunday activity around here.
I agree that you may need to lump "the Triangle" together in order to assimilate it to Tampa.
Good point about church! Yes I agree about clumping them together. It takes 45 minutes to cross Tampa, is probably why Durham seems so compact! I really liked the houses in the Trinity area, but don't see much for rent. I don't want to be brandished to suburbia. Will stroll down Club as advised. I have a budget of $2K for a 3/2 SFH but needs to be updated. Rental market seems to be tight. Are there nice parks nearby as I have a toddler and want to spend more time not being a prisoner of Tampas heat and humidity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM

533 posts, read 1,198,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelNoGMO View Post
Good point about church! Yes I agree about clumping them together. It takes 45 minutes to cross Tampa, is probably why Durham seems so compact! I really liked the houses in the Trinity area, but don't see much for rent. I don't want to be brandished to suburbia. Will stroll down Club as advised. I have a budget of $2K for a 3/2 SFH but needs to be updated. Rental market seems to be tight. Are there nice parks nearby as I have a toddler and want to spend more time not being a prisoner of Tampas heat and humidity?
I think that Durham has a number of great parks to check out. Some of my kiddos are favorites are Duke Park, Oval Park, Whippoorwill Park, Trinity Park, and Little River Nature Center. You might want to check out the Stir Crazy Mom's Guide to Durham blog as well. Its a bit more South Durham centric, but will give you a good overall flavor of some of the things to do around here.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:25 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Durham grows on you.

Hang out at Full Steam Brewery tonight. (Will and Pop's food truck will be there until 8. Terrific burgers.)

Or stop by Pizzeria Toro. Absolutely the best pizzas we've ever had anywhere. Wonderful, wood-fired crust. Tasty toppings. Unique place.

Have breakfast tomorrow morning at Guglhupf. (Pick up some pastries to take back.) Drive around Hope Valley. You'll get a different view of Durham.

Stop by Parker and Otis and grab a sandwich for the drive home.

Durham is a community that grows on you. Food trucks. Farmers' market. There's even an 80 piece community band (I'm nto kidding), that will put on a Veterans Day concert at the VA.

You might need to spend more than a day to see if it's a good fit for you though.

Old 11-03-2013, 04:27 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,192,551 times
I think Durham is more akin to St Pete. If you're not a fan of St Pete, you're probably not going to love Durham...

Old 11-03-2013, 04:58 PM

69 posts, read 173,314 times
I visit downtown Durham on a regular basis. Sunday mornings are the least busy time of the week....many people at Church. Late morning/early afternoon, people start showing up for brunch (many great options). Fri/Sat are quite busy downtown and at Brightleaf. After living here for 4 years, I would say Sunday is probably the worst indicator of what downtown is really like.

Fullsteam brewery is a great suggestion for something to do on a Sunday night (laid back, but not a sure thing for finding food..you have to rely on food trucks). You could also try Bull City Burger & Brewery (great burgers) or Dos Perros (Mexican food...Sunday night is Taco Night!)...these two restaurants are right next to each other. There are also a number of bars/restaurants at American Tobacco campus (Tylers, Tobacco Road, etc) that might be good for some food and football watching.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:04 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,356 times
We were in Durham yesterday (Saturday) morning and I actually commented on how much busier it was than I expected. There were more people than I expected to see in the vicinity of Brightleaf and at the Farmer's Market.

All of the food places recommended above are great. Although for lunch tomorrow I personally would skip Parker & Otis and try Q Shack, Nana Taco or Foster's Market.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM

38 posts, read 61,448 times
I prefer st. Pete to Tampa. I'm thinking Sunday just isn't the best indicator. I am remaining optimistic!
Yes 1 day is definitely not enough. The VA just notified me and wanted an answer right away. So here I am!

Old 11-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelNoGMO View Post
I prefer st. Pete to Tampa. I'm thinking Sunday just isn't the best indicator. I am remaining optimistic!
Yes 1 day is definitely not enough. The VA just notified me and wanted an answer right away. So here I am!
Hot diggity! Congratulations.

Hope this is works out for you.

Definitely go the Veterans' Day concert at the VA.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:47 PM

Agree that Durham is more St. Pete's than Tampa. Tampa seems frantic to me.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:13 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Yup - Durham is definitely more St. Pete than Tampa. I live in Durham and lived in both St. Pete and Tampa - Sunday morning downtown Durham is very quiet. Honest, downtown Durham, even as far as its come, is still going to be more quiet than downtown St. Pete.

The joys of Durham are more spread out. There are a LOT of good restaurants, but they're all over the city.

OP, it'll grow on you - depends on how much you miss the water. Arts/culture/foodie wise there's a lot more here than Tampa - but you may greatly miss good Cuban food (as I do).

Check out Indyweek - our version of Creative Loafing - for happenings. Congrats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary