Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:14 AM

138 posts, read 256,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
In reference to dining, I was referring to the diversity and quality of choices. Raleigh/Cary is primarily chain restaurants with a bland, manufactured feel to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Couldn't disagree more. There are no more or less chains in those areas than any other metro of their size. Fact is their are tons of Indy places and great dining options I Raleigh and Cary. If you find yourself at chains it is through your choice, not by the lack of local offerings.
There ARE Indy places, but in my experience the dining options are nothing like where we came from in SoCal. We had easy access to authentic Mexican, Chinese, Korean, and other types of restaurants. The fast food place I miss the MOST is a chain, El Pollo Loco. Oh man I miss that place!

Yes, we do miss the food from California. I imagine we probably always will. Even when we find restraints here that serve a certain type of food, it just doesn't taste the same (in MY opinion).

That being said- I don't miss California one bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by islander03 View Post
NC is very different than CA. For us, that's a wonderful difference.
We moved here from SoCal to start new and re-prioritize what's important in life. Many transplants that we've met have the same mindset and are happy with their choices to move here. It was a choice to CHANGE and look for CHANGES. Because if you keep looking for the same thing, then it would not be a good fit.
Like Islander said, we've made the decision to embrace the changes NC offers. I love the people in NC, I love the trees, the environment, and the overall pace of life. We moved here to get away from California- so although I may miss food (or perhaps shopping) options now and then, overall it's not important. We are happy in NC for the things NC has to offer that I (sadly) believe California never could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 11:42 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Chapel Hill schools are neighborhood schools, right? I feel like that may solve the OP's problem as Chapel Hill is lovely.
Not really. CHCCS really strives to base school zoning on socioeconomic diversity, but it's a small system so there's not much travel time even if you don't go to the closest school.

Old 11-10-2013, 04:51 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
I am absolutely baffled by this statement. What do they consider "real shopping"?
As far as men's clothing goes, what's available in Triangle malls is hideous. The buyers needs to stock more flat front pants and far better shoes for men. Rockports and dress shoes with square toes are yuk!, 10 years out of style.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
10 years out of style.
Dude! MALL shopping is 10 years out of style.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:07 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
As far as men's clothing goes, what's available in Triangle malls is hideous. The buyers needs to stock more flat front pants and far better shoes for men. Rockports and dress shoes with square toes are yuk!, 10 years out of style.
If you look around you, you'll also notice a preponderance of pastel polo shirts, khaki shorts, Sperry deck shoes, and those silly bands they put on the sunglasses... the rest of country moved on from 1987..

Old 11-10-2013, 07:48 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
If you look around you, you'll also notice a preponderance of pastel polo shirts, khaki shorts, Sperry deck shoes, and those silly bands they put on the sunglasses... the rest of country moved on from 1987..
Clearly you need to stop hanging around the frat boy set.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californiagroovygal View Post
Our realtors have said that no real shopping in North Carolina and that they take weekend trips to Virginia to buy clothes. Not really an issue for a family either way.
These over-the-top hyperbole statements kill me.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:32 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,307,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
They do it well after college age which Im sure you're aware of.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,426,598 times
Quote:
They do it well after college age which Im sure you're aware of.
Not that I've really seen or paid attention to, though again, I don't hang around the frat boy or even ex-frat boy scene. Perhaps it's time to enlarge your social group?

Old 11-11-2013, 08:09 AM

487 posts, read 890,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
You mean move away from Raleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary