Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 AM

239 posts, read 1,093,014 times

Advertisements

We are interested in adopting a dog or a puppy from a shelter or rescue organization. My only preference is to not get a pit-bull mix (I know that they can be lovely dogs but that is my preference). We have looked at Chapel Hill, Durham, Chatham, and Wake (online). Anyone know of other places to look or recommendations. Thanks

Old 01-13-2014, 08:15 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,626,994 times
Consider a greyhound?

Project Racing Home | Get a Greyhound

Old 01-13-2014, 08:17 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,820,943 times
And after looking in all of those places, you couldn't find a single, needy pooch who desperately needs a home?

You could call your local PetSmart or Petco and find out if they are having any adoption days soon, or if they can recommend any other places to look.

Please, don't buy from a private breeder: there are enough other dogs to get that won't encourage more unnecessary breeding.

Report back with a picture when you bring one home!

Old 01-13-2014, 08:25 AM

239 posts, read 1,093,014 times
@ adams_aj-just physically went to Chapel Hill and have only looked online at the others-this week/weekend will try to get to the other shelters. And no worries-I will not pay from a breeder-we have always had rescue animals/mutts and I think they make the best pets.

I will keep looking.

Re Greyhound-have not considered that breed-I would need to look into the breed...

Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM

328 posts, read 767,665 times
Default Adopting an animal

First of all, thank you for looking to adopt an animal from a shelter or rescue group! I have three cats and one came from a breed-specific rescue group and the other two we just fell into.

Some options:
  • Second Chance Pet Adoptions: Second Chance Pet Adoptions: Second Chance Pet Adoptions. Adopt a cat or dog at our shelter in Raleigh.
  • They have mostly cats, but there are four dogs listed right now. If you think you will be a one-pet household, it is nice to adopt dogs that are best suited to live as the only pet because many people already have animals and want to get another, so these independent pups don't find homes. Hattie appears to be that sort of dog. Also, many people like the little dogs, so if you have the space and love for a big dog, bring one home!
  • You may wish to try local PetSmarts on Saturdays. The local humane society will bring dogs in for adoptathons.
  • If you decide to go with a different breed, there are several local rescue organizations devoted to that particular breed. These organizations may do home-checks, and ask for references, and they are all volunteer-based. I follow a couple of them on facebook and new dogs are brought in all the time, from shelters, or hoarding situations, or owners just decide they don't want their old dog anymore.
Alternatively, if you decide you want to foster an animal first to be sure you are ready for the commitment of "owning" an animal, many of these organizations allow that and then you might find that you and that dog are the perfect match and you can adopt him/her.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:27 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,868,796 times
Rescue groups are great for finding family companions. They rescue the "best" ones and can tell you a lot about their temperament, health, habits, etc.

There's the Neuse River Golden Retreiver Rescue, Second Chance Pet, Saving Pets One at a Time (S.P.O.T), Hope Animal Rescue, PawPrints Animal Rescue, Saving Grace, C.A.R.E. for Animals, Heaven and Earth Animals Rescue Team (H.E.A.R.T.)...

Many list their pets on Petfinders.com You can track the group down there and then go their websites to see what other dogs they are fostering.

We have two incredible dogs that we adopted through rescue groups. Love that we know a bit of what we are getting into. Love that we saved not only our sweet ones, but that this opened up two spots for others.

Good luck.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,953,492 times
Two of my last 3 dogs have been through local rescue organizations. My only input would be that it's often a long process (several months) through that route - especially for some of the more popular breeds.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Just sent you a message. I know of a couple (1 or 2) of very well trained, sweet Siberian Huskys who need a home. Must be a good, loving home. DM me if more info is needed, and I can pass along the info.

I know these dogs personally. Owner adopted and has more than she can handle in a small space right now.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:38 AM

612 posts, read 1,281,359 times
Check out Paws4Ever

Old 01-13-2014, 08:42 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,472,077 times
Have you looked at petfinder.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary