Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM

580 posts, read 712,123 times

Advertisements

Also depends on if you want a 5 star daycare or an in home daycare, etc.
5 stars will be similar in price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 06:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
north carolina is really not a good place for public school teachers right now if that's the kind of teaching job your wife would be looking for. Do some research on that. We're about 46th in teacher pay in the country. Virginia, south carolina, and tennessee all pay their teachers better.

Nc is good for high tech and biotech, but for a teaching job i would seriously consider another location.

Here are a couple of threads on teaching in nc:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ng-nyc-nc.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...s-new-low.html
this

Old 01-21-2014, 07:22 PM

116 posts, read 254,522 times
Come for a visit. While here go to most any supermarket in Cary or Apex, probably Morrisville as well. Every 5 minutes someone in Patriots or Red Sox garb will walk in. Talk to them, you will get a lot of feedback on the area, my guess is mostly positive. Teacher pay is certainly an issue here but if your wife is re-entering the workforce maybe she will be ok with it. And the state does not treat its teachers well but the people who work at the schools are professionals who treat the parents and students well.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:40 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,761 times
I moved from Scituate MA to Cary. At that time Cary was a nice town that still had a lot of its Southern style. It has now become the place you are fleeing. The control freaks have taken over in Cary and are putting restrictions and taxes on everything. If I was to move here now I would look into Morrisville on the South side of I-40, it is new development, near the RTP area and new up and comming neighborhoods.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
I moved from Scituate MA to Cary. At that time Cary was a nice town that still had a lot of its Southern style. It has now become the place you are fleeing. The control freaks have taken over in Cary and are putting restrictions and taxes on everything. If I was to move here now I would look into Morrisville on the South side of I-40, it is new development, near the RTP area and new up and comming neighborhoods.

Because Morrisville is different from Cary in what way?

Old 01-25-2014, 07:34 AM

285 posts, read 493,150 times
Please look beyond Cary! It is a perfectly nice town, but everyone seems to move there. The Triangle has so much more to offer than just Cary. Try Hillsborough, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fuquay-Varina, Apex, etc. There are plenty of family-friendly areas to try.

Good luck with your move. I came here from the Boston area (South Shore) over 20 years ago and have loved it.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:50 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsT89 View Post
Please look beyond Cary! It is a perfectly nice town, but everyone seems to move there. The Triangle has so much more to offer than just Cary. Try Hillsborough, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fuquay-Varina, Apex, etc. There are plenty of family-friendly areas to try.

Good luck with your move. I came here from the Boston area (South Shore) over 20 years ago and have loved it.
I heartily second this recommendation. Cary and Chapel Hill are always the safe choice when anyone's starting their housing search but come down and explore, you'll be surprised by how many other areas have great appeal. I work with someone who just relocated here from the Boston area and they honed in on Cary like a fly to the light. When I suggested a half-dozen alternate locations, pointing out the close proximity to the office, the airport and most major area destinations they rejected it because Cary seemed familiar to them. That may have some value initially but will fade quickly and then you're stuck living someplace that is densely populated with housing that's becoming increasingly generic.

And there's New England all over the place, that will become readily apparent to you once you look around.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:35 AM

23 posts, read 23,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I heartily second this recommendation. Cary and Chapel Hill are always the safe choice when anyone's starting their housing search but come down and explore, you'll be surprised by how many other areas have great appeal. I work with someone who just relocated here from the Boston area and they honed in on Cary like a fly to the light. When I suggested a half-dozen alternate locations, pointing out the close proximity to the office, the airport and most major area destinations they rejected it because Cary seemed familiar to them. That may have some value initially but will fade quickly and then you're stuck living someplace that is densely populated with housing that's becoming increasingly generic.

And there's New England all over the place, that will become readily apparent to you once you look around.
Thanks - I'll definitely take this into consideration and take a look at other areas, too. The main reason we were looking at Cary is because various sources on the web rank them very good in relation to cost of living, housing, crime rate, etc.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:15 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Thanks - I'll definitely take this into consideration and take a look at other areas, too. The main reason we were looking at Cary is because various sources on the web rank them very good in relation to cost of living, housing, crime rate, etc.
You also cannot ignore the high Asian population in Cary.

Old 01-25-2014, 11:41 AM

9,777 posts, read 15,788,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You also cannot ignore the high Asian population in Cary.
And the highly-ranked schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary