Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 10:40 PM

23 posts, read 23,320 times

Advertisements

I know there are a ton of threads on similar topics already (which I've been combing over) but I wanted to put one out there specifically for my situation to see if I can get some input.

My wife and I are looking to relocate from Boston to the Raleigh / Cary area in July of this year with our 2 year old son (and no pets). My wife is unemployed but will look for work shortly after we arrive - I will be working remotely from home with my current employer. The following list is a few things we are taking into consideration with our move:

1. The usual stuff when you have a kid: low crime, good schools, lots of outdoor activities (parks, playgrounds, etc), other families and kids nearby
2. We will be looking for a 3 bedroom apartment since I'll be working from home and will need an office to work out of. We are fine with signing a 12 month lease but would entertain the idea of signing something shorter to give us enough time to get to know the area before looking for houses.
3. Rental price range: $1,000 a month or less
4. Commute times aren't super important. My wife will be looking for employment (as a teacher) but I'm assuming the commute times will be nothing like what I currently deal with in Boston (1 hour one-way)
5. We're both in our mid 30's so we aren't really interested in clubs, bars or other night life. But lots of family and kid friendly activities are important.

I was hoping to get some input from others that are more familiar with the area on the following:

1. Does Cary sound like a decent option for someone in my situation? What other areas might be a good fit?
2. Has anyone had any personal experience with some of the apartment complexes in the area that they would feel comfortable recommending?
3. My wife is from Thailand and has a Master's degree in teaching that she earned in Thailand (and a few years experience teaching at a major Thai university). Would she have a difficult time finding employment in the area?
4. I read on a few threads that people in Cary tend to be hesitant to open up to "outsiders". Is this true? And would my wife being a foreigner make things even more difficult for her in that area?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Cary is chock full of Asians, man. Fear not.

I know that sounds lighthearted, but it's true. We even have a huge Asian market. Cary is also full of transplants. We're used to lots of new people.

The other stuff you want you can find most anywhere in the Triangle. You should visit and see what you like.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,104,102 times
With a two year old, it would seem that schools are a few years out.
I would focus on getting into a central location as a launch pad for exploring the Triangle.

1, 2 & 3 Bedroom Apartments in Morrisville, NC | Marquis on Cary Parkway

Wonderful location in terms of daily needs.
Two shopping centers within walking distance, and not far from parks and playgrounds.

Last edited by MikeJaquish; 01-20-2014 at 05:54 AM..

Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Cary is chock full of Asians, man. Fear not.

I know that sounds lighthearted, but it's true. We even have a huge Asian market. Cary is also full of transplants. We're used to lots of new people.

The other stuff you want you can find most anywhere in the Triangle. You should visit and see what you like.
Agree with all of the above. If you plan on renting I wouldn't worry about the location till your wife gets a job (and she should print out and start completing the job application NOW while you are still in Boston - she will need 2 confidential references in sealed envelopes - better to get that done while she is still living where she can get the references). All of the suburbs here are family friendly and once she gets a job you can work on where you live based on her job location.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2014, 07:50 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Is there are reason you're coming to North Carolina? It's not for a job — family or friends nearby?

North Carolina is really not a good place for public school teachers right now if that's the kind of teaching job your wife would be looking for. Do some research on that. We're about 46th in teacher pay in the country. Virginia, South Carolina, and Tennessee all pay their teachers better.

NC is good for high tech and biotech, but for a teaching job I would seriously consider another location.

Here are a couple of threads on teaching in NC:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ng-nyc-nc.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...s-new-low.html

If the teaching job is not a big consideration—that is if it's not a career for her, but more of a job, and she doesn't mind poor pay and poor support from state government— then I do agree that NC would be welcoming to your family. There is a sizable Asian population here with some pretty good Thai restaurants, and it's a very family oriented place.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM

Thanks so much for the information! I know my wife will feel a lot better knowing she's not going to be the only Asian in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Is there are reason you're coming to North Carolina? It's not for a job — family or friends nearby?

North Carolina is really not a good place for public school teachers right now if that's the kind of teaching job your wife would be looking for. Do some research on that. We're about 46th in teacher pay in the country. Virginia, South Carolina, and Tennessee all pay their teachers better.

NC is good for high tech and biotech, but for a teaching job I would seriously consider another location.

Here are a couple of threads on teaching in NC:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ng-nyc-nc.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...s-new-low.html

If the teaching job is not a big consideration—that is if it's not a career for her, but more of a job, and she doesn't mind poor pay and poor support from state government— then I do agree that NC would be welcoming to your family. There is a sizable Asian population here with some pretty good Thai restaurants, and it's a very family oriented place.
The main reason we're thinking of NC is because the cost of living (especially daycare) and long winters in Boston are just too much. And I've got friends and family in the southeast so it seems like a relatively decent place to go.

The amount of technology jobs in the area is a plus, especially if things were to ever fall through with my working remotely.

As for her teaching, that's just what she's done forever (and really enjoys). She's definitely willing to try something else...she just doesn't want to be a housewife anymore. But she's not really looking for a career, just a job that will help put money in savings in preparation to eventually head back to Thailand and retire.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Thanks so much for the information! I know my wife will feel a lot better knowing she's not going to be the only Asian in town.

The main reason we're thinking of NC is because the cost of living (especially daycare) and long winters in Boston are just too much. And I've got friends and family in the southeast so it seems like a relatively decent place to go.

The amount of technology jobs in the area is a plus, especially if things were to ever fall through with my working remotely.

As for her teaching, that's just what she's done forever (and really enjoys). She's definitely willing to try something else...she just doesn't want to be a housewife anymore. But she's not really looking for a career, just a job that will help put money in savings in preparation to eventually head back to Thailand and retire.
Daycare's not cheap here. Some faith based centers are a better value.

NC treats public school teachers like crap.Tenure is being phased out.

The safety net if you become unemployed is a joke.

Be sure before you make the move.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Daycare's not cheap here. Some faith based centers are a better value.

NC treats public school teachers like crap.Tenure is being phased out.

The safety net if you become unemployed is a joke.

Be sure before you make the move.
Well, I don't think daycare's really considered cheap anywhere these days. But at over $2,000 a month here in Boston it's just insane.

Am I correct in guestimating that it's going to be around $200 - $300 a week for 1 kid in NC?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:55 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Depends on how many days and how long each day.

Carolina Parent | Triangle Family Events, Kids Activities, Camps, Schools, Parenting Advice, Blogs and Resources in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary and Triangle, NC | CarolinaParent.com has some resources on daycares and preschools.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:34 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalamarjj78 View Post
Well, I don't think daycare's really considered cheap anywhere these days. But at over $2,000 a month here in Boston it's just insane.

Am I correct in guestimating that it's going to be around $200 - $300 a week for 1 kid in NC?
It's probably not dramatically less than in Boston, honestly.

Depends on the age of your child. Infants are obviously very expensive. Toddlers who are potty trained and preschoolers are a good bit less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary