Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 09:52 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times

Advertisements

It seems like a 2 hour delay today would have been appropriate, but I know our roads are still icy. We live in a rural area and the roads stay shaded, what does melt freezes back overnight. It's hard to justify if you haven't seen ALL of the rural roads. Our kids go to a school thats 1.5 miles from our house. I'd venture to bet that very few if any of the kids at that school come from 5 miles away. But high schools are a different animal, and some kids go 5-10 miles or more. My kids will when they get to high school.

As long as the make up day that's TOMORROW for year round, isn't cancelled, we'll be OK!

I'm still POd about Tuesday though!

The solid white streak, running uphill from left to right, is the road in front of hour house......

Last edited by TheBigKahunaNC; 01-31-2014 at 10:30 AM..

Old 01-31-2014, 10:56 AM

579 posts, read 522,399 times
I'm formally from up North. What we mean by "they do a great job up north", is not only is the city/state prepared but the citizens are more proactive. We often handle some snow and ice problems on our own. In the city of Boston and it's immediate suburbs, barrels of salty sand are placed around street corners. Then average citizens use it to keep the side streets covered. We unblock drains on our own. If the end of our street has got packed down snow and ice we break it up, so we can get out of our side streets. We are responsible for clearing the side walks in front of our homes and businesses. I learned about brooming from an elderly lady who lived next to me. When it started snowing she went out every hour and pushed broomed her driveway and side walks clean. She never shoveled. She would just keep on it every hour or half hour. This storm my front stairs were cleared by midnight . I still keep a scraper in my car.

And I have to say. It get's cold up north, the sun shines on the pavement and the snow melts and sheets of black ice form. "But we have ice!!" is the weirdest statement I hear southerners say to ex-northerners. Northerners have plenty of ice to deal with. Look up "frost heaves". This year when I realized it was going to be a cold one I decided to keep 40 lbs of kitty litter in my trunk.

It's all about preparations and taking matters into your own hands. I buy sand and salt in the fall. Some years down here I haven't had to use it but I still have it. Northerners and mountain dwellers just get on with it and get it done.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:59 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRosencranz View Post
Northerners and mountain dwellers just get on with it and get it done.

Like we southerners do after hurricanes!

Well, except for New Orleans....they didn't!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,931,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
Like we southerners do after hurricanes!
Just wait till some of these ice junkies get a dose of life after a hurricane. It's not a matter of if...it's just a matter of when

Old 01-31-2014, 11:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
It's all about preparations and taking matters into your own hands. I buy sand and salt in the fall. Some years down here I haven't had to use it but I still have it. Northerners and mountain dwellers just get on with it and get it done.
Yeah, it's those lazy shiftless southerners! (Speaking as someone who is informally from up North.)

Old 01-31-2014, 11:52 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
I'm formally from up North. What we mean by "they do a great job up north", is not only is the city/state prepared but the citizens are more proactive. We often handle some snow and ice problems on our own. In the city of Boston and it's immediate suburbs, barrels of salty sand are placed around street corners. Then average citizens use it to keep the side streets covered. We unblock drains on our own. If the end of our street has got packed down snow and ice we break it up, so we can get out of our side streets. We are responsible for clearing the side walks in front of our homes and businesses. I learned about brooming from an elderly lady who lived next to me. When it started snowing she went out every hour and pushed broomed her driveway and side walks clean. She never shoveled. She would just keep on it every hour or half hour. This storm my front stairs were cleared by midnight . I still keep a scraper in my car.

And I have to say. It get's cold up north, the sun shines on the pavement and the snow melts and sheets of black ice form. "But we have ice!!" is the weirdest statement I hear southerners say to ex-northerners. Northerners have plenty of ice to deal with. Look up "frost heaves". This year when I realized it was going to be a cold one I decided to keep 40 lbs of kitty litter in my trunk.

I think that what this really amounts to is that people up North go out and deal with snow and ice because they have to unless they plan to hibernate all winter.

People in the South do NOT have to, so they don't. I can always tell which of my neighbors are Southern because they aren't the first ones to get out and shovel off their driveways and walkways.

It's just a difference it the way that people think, I reckon. We rarely get snow, so we tend to take it as a time to enjoy it and slow down a little more.

Do I think that the WCPSS cancellation on Tuesday is fueling some of this ire? Absolutely.

But, if the storm had started early, we'd probably have been talking about how clever they were while the other systems weren't being proactive enough.

It's all armchair quarterbacking. The schools did what they did.

We just deal with it. Send your kid to school on the makeup days, or don't. Unless he/she is going for a perfect attendance award, you'll be fine.

If I had a holiday planned for Easter (we don't travel then, too costly) I wouldn't change it because of this storm. I'd make arrangements with my kids' teachers, because you know you won't be the only family that had a trip booked.

It'll all work out. I hate that people are so frustrated that they're sniping at one another here, because this really is usually a peaceful board.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:59 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Just wait till some of these ice junkies get a dose of life after a hurricane. It's not a matter of if...it's just a matter of when
Yep, so true!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:00 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I think that what this really amounts to is that people up North go out and deal with snow and ice because they have to unless they plan to hibernate all winter.

People in the South do NOT have to, so they don't. I can always tell which of my neighbors are Southern because they aren't the first ones to get out and shovel off their driveways and walkways.

It's just a difference it the way that people think, I reckon. We rarely get snow, so we tend to take it as a time to enjoy it and slow down a little more.

Do I think that the WCPSS cancellation on Tuesday is fueling some of this ire? Absolutely.

But, if the storm had started early, we'd probably have been talking about how clever they were while the other systems weren't being proactive enough.

It's all armchair quarterbacking. The schools did what they did.

We just deal with it. Send your kid to school on the makeup days, or don't. Unless he/she is going for a perfect attendance award, you'll be fine.

If I had a holiday planned for Easter (we don't travel then, too costly) I wouldn't change it because of this storm. I'd make arrangements with my kids' teachers, because you know you won't be the only family that had a trip booked.

It'll all work out. I hate that people are so frustrated that they're sniping at one another here, because this really is usually a peaceful board.

Well put!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM

150 posts, read 175,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I don't understand....so the people from "Up North" (I'm thinking of Twingles comments) who say they know how to drive in/on this stuff, yet also say what a wonderful job they do "Up there" of clearing the roads, then what experience do you have driving "in it" if it's already cleared before you have to drive on it? So, are you saying you have experience driving on compacted, ice over snow? You do know that many roads still are in this condition here, right?

Like Eric, I think they might have been able to go in later, however, I haven't seen the condition of the roads and land the school are on or are surrounded by. Some, I suspect, are still ice covered and not safe for buses. I drove in on Forestville Rd, thru Knightdale and Raleigh today and it was still compacted snow covered up to Buffaloe Rd Raleigh. This road has many dips and bends, I could see the school transportation folks being nervous about sending buses on a road like this.

I quite judging the school transportation folks years ago when i realized i didn't have all the facts, and wasn't responsible for 144k students' safety this being a litigious society
Yes, I do know some roads are compacted ice over snow. Some have thin ice films also.

I guess I'm not happy with a lot of the "You southerners don't know how to deal with it" comments. In some cases it's true. It was certainly true of me my first 20 years of life. But the ice characteristics are not identical to the northern climes either. It would be nice if folks took that into account. THIS southerner learned what he could and could not drive on, and he learned it it what I think counts as north

Old 01-31-2014, 12:39 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary