Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you switch to Google Fiber once we have it in the Triangle?
Yes: I'm in Raleigh 53 33.13%
Yes: I'm in Durham 21 13.13%
Yes: I'm in Chapel Hill 5 3.13%
Yes: I'm in Cary 57 35.63%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 8 5.00%
Yes: I'm in Carrboro 0 0%
Yes: I'm in Morrisville 4 2.50%
No: I'm not interested and/or they're not coming to my area yet 11 6.88%
Yes: I'm in Garner 1 0.63%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:50 AM

1,733 posts, read 2,420,662 times

Advertisements

They can put a hut in front of my house. Just bring me some fiber!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 10:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
It seems a little odd to me that Google is going to be allowed to use public land for these huts, apparently without compensation.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:15 AM

288 posts, read 360,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It seems a little odd to me that Google is going to be allowed to use public land for these huts, apparently without compensation.
I think that Google pays in the range of $2-$5/sqft for each lease, but I'm not sure if that's per month or per year. Google insists on a non-discrimination clause, which means that other carriers can take advantage of the same deal.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:13 PM

4,303 posts, read 5,986,229 times
Leases for hut land will net the town an estimated $4200-$7000 per year. I believe that's based on $2/sf/year, making it $1400 per hut when they were estimating 3-5 huts needed.

My understanding is the $2/sf annual rate is uniform across Triangle municipalities involved in Google Fiber, agreed to by all parties for consistency.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:24 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
As mentioned, there is compensation, that is part of what the initial town responses prior to the actual selection was all about, so these things could be anticipated and thought through ahead of time. The areas they will end up using are probably unused public land that has no other real function anyway and this project serves the public good by expanding the services to residents and reducing costs for other services by way of competition so I think it's a good deal overall.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:28 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
As mentioned, there is compensation, that is part of what the initial town responses prior to the actual selection was all about, so these things could be anticipated and thought through ahead of time. The areas they will end up using are probably unused public land that has no other real function anyway and this project serves the public good by expanding the services to residents and reducing costs for other services by way of competition so I think it's a good deal overall.
Public good, yes.
The "compensation" is clearly nominal, probably to serve mostly as valuable consideration in exchange for the lease to avoid appearance of an illusory contract that could be challenged.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:40 PM

9,144 posts, read 14,753,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Public good, yes.
The "compensation" is clearly nominal, probably to serve mostly as valuable consideration in exchange for the lease to avoid appearance of an illusory contract that could be challenged.
I agree. The towns are certainly not going to be reducing taxes any time soon over this "windfall." But, I wonder how much ATT, Frontier and TWC pay the towns for the boxes they have all over the place.? I don't really know, but I'm guessing in most places it's a big fat pile of zero.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:43 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
I agree. The towns are certainly not going to be reducing taxes any time soon over this "windfall." But, I wonder how much ATT, Frontier and TWC pay the towns for the boxes they have all over the place.? I don't really know, but I'm guessing in most places it's a big fat pile of zero.
But, don't those boxes generally tend to exist in existing ROWs and easements that were created in common areas when the subdivisions were platted?

Old 05-04-2015, 02:08 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,060 times
I'd prefer to be using municipal fiber in Durham right now instead of twiddling my thumbs waiting for Google Fiber huts on public property but it is what it is when certain laws were passed. Pass stupid laws, expect nominal compensation to circumvent them.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 733 times
Quote:
Google is compensating participating cities in more than one way. They are paying for use of the land and also providing free internet to hospitals and government buildings (including public libraries and public schools, ect.) Along with these benefits for the city, they are creating real competition while allowing their competitors to piggy back on their infrastructure, and they provide free internet to any individuals who pay a $300 deposit, paid at $25 per month for 12 months. The benefits of the fiber project outweigh any philosophical belief that one may have about public land use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary