Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 06:41 AM

10 posts, read 13,518 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from Montana.. Love it so far except......
The Sub we moved to was as quiet as, well.. it can be aside from the local wildlife..
This is one of the reasons we picked this country setting.
My husband and I both get to bed early and arise at about 5 am to be off to work.
A few months ago some people moved across the way (I've been told now that it's a rental home) and from the get go.. Loud booming bass music at all hours.
Hubby approached them about a month ago to ask them to be considerate of others, then again last week same thing.
But they aren't having any of that and continue to keep us awake at all hours with the spine racking low frequency bass buzzing all night. It literally vibrates the walls. (It's strange because if you want outside at night when they are jamming, you only hear a little music) But if you sit down on the porch you can feel it.
I woke him up a few nights ago because I was awakened and he was as mad as a hornet. He was about to go over and probably get in trouble but I stopped him.
I was talking to a neighbor (lives out of bass range) yesterday and she said to call the popo but we don't want to be those people.
We love the area so much, but now feel like we should have checked out what was happening with the empty home (sale/rental etc. ) prior to purchasing our new home here in Lovely NC.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2014, 06:52 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,961,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper10 View Post
We love the area so much, but now feel like we should have checked out what was happening with the empty home (sale/rental etc. ) prior to purchasing our new home here in Lovely NC.
Even if you had, what's to say the 'neighbors from hell' wouldn't have moved in later?

Old 04-05-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Even if you had, what's to say the 'neighbors from hell' wouldn't have moved in later?
Nothing. I guess do unto others is out and do what you want is in.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:03 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Be "that person."
Contact the owner/landlord/property manager and ask for a resolution.
Then, call the cops if it doesn't cease.

Be "that person." Or, learn to enjoy it.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:09 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Be "that person."
Contact the owner/landlord/property manager and ask for a resolution.
Then, call the cops if it doesn't cease.

Be "that person." Or, learn to enjoy it.

I agree. You've already approached them twice. What else can you do? If the owner/landlord won't do anything, tell them you'll go to the HOA (if there is one) and then the popo (never heard that term before).

Old 04-05-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I agree. You've already approached them twice. What else can you do? If the owner/landlord won't do anything, tell them you'll go to the HOA (if there is one) and then the popo (never heard that term before).
Popo is what my kids used to call the police.. I'm being modern!!

Old 04-05-2014, 07:22 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,866,731 times
I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a neighbors who are also less than neighborly. They have a ladder hanging on the opposite side of their fence so it faces my yard. I politely asked for them to move it and the wife turned into Godzilla screaming at me about it being her property. I contacted the HOA and the manager sent them two letters but they refuse to remove it. Sigh.

I think your situation is difficult because "disturbing the peace" is a criminal offense so a police matter. Maybe you can just call the non-emergency number to ask them. The only problem (as I learned with my unreasonable neighbors) is the people will know it's you and that could backfire.

I hope you can get it sorted our peacefully and get some good Zzzzzs.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:40 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,107 times
Check out the noise ordinance rules & regs where you live. They differ, and reading/understanding them will let you know what you can and cannot ask to be enforced.

E.g., decibel ratings, readings (you can download an app that will measure this for you), quiet hours, etc.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:44 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,605,367 times
Loud bass is one of those things that seriously makes me feel violent. I've dealt with it before too - sorry you are. I'd start by calling their landlord (if you don't know the name you could look it up in the property records) - if that doesn't work, then I'd call the police. Wouldn't hurt to take some video as well.

I have found that people who blast bass are generally the sort of people who are unwilling to be considerate of their neighbors.

Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 AM

You know we have 3 big dogs and all of them are quiet (trained only to bark at something for the right reasons)
Our old neighbors never even knew we had dogs as our property was so big that our walks went the other way.. And they never heard the dogs.
This situation is so stupid because you can't even make out what music they are listening to. The only thing you hear is bass and drums. I forgot to mention that their trash drifts into our yard when it's windy. Such a nice neighborhood too.. what a shame.
I was raised in a huge family and we barely had enough to go around most years. Our trash stayed where it was supposed to be, our noise was that of laughter, during waking hours.. Most people I've come across are the same as us or with 1 word of "could you please not do this or that" Will immediately apologize and rectify the problem.
Our youngest was a drummer in the 80's and practiced in our garage on Sunday afternoons. Our neighbor at the time asked if we could do it on Saturday afternoon instead and we changed things. I guess respect for self and others is more rare now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary