Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 PM

621 posts, read 981,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
I also think that the new Common Core way of teaching has lowered the scores across the nation. This is a trend everywhere.
You are seeing the effects of the transition lately compounded by uncertainty over the State's direction with CC. Staying the course and working through the transition are necessary to see any benefits from a new standard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 05:44 AM

38 posts, read 48,999 times
Ok. Thanks everyone. But which one is good among Green Hope HS vs Apex Hs vs Cary HS?

Old 04-10-2014, 06:05 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,447,558 times
If you're asking about which has the best scores, it's clearly Green Hope. But if you're asking if Green Hope produces the best scores, that's entirely different. Green Hope has a student base that would achieve in any high school. They are abnormally clustered together there.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:59 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazellect View Post
I also think that the new Common Core way of teaching has lowered the scores across the nation. This is a trend everywhere.
Common core is not a "way of teaching". It's a set of standardized goals.
Teachers/schools and districts can use their OWN way of teaching them.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:05 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvangeepura View Post
Ok. Thanks everyone. But which one is good among Green Hope HS vs Apex Hs vs Cary HS?
Is your child currently in high school?

How are his/her grades currently?

Does he/she struggle in school?

I ask because if you said "kid is in high school, grades are excellent, doesn't struggle in school" I'd tell you that you might as well not worry about which high school to attend at all.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:33 AM

38 posts, read 48,999 times
My kid is not in high school but we are trying to buy a house and trying to figure out which area to settle in

Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
My kid is not in high school but we are trying to buy a house and trying to figure out which area to settle in

How many years before he/she will be in high school?

Old 04-10-2014, 02:59 PM

621 posts, read 981,663 times
Quote:
It's pretty much a similar experience across these three schools. It isn't like a choice between Harvard/ NCSU/ Wake Tech. Given WCPSS' quirky and changing assignment policies, I wouldn't make your choice of HS a key driver of where to buy RE.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:12 PM

360 posts, read 721,051 times
I wouldn't make a decision on where to buy a house based on a high school, especially if they aren't in high school yet. Around here, assignment policies can change from year to year and new schools are always getting built, so you could pick an area that has a particular high school in it and by the time they are in high school they could wind up in a different one than you expected.

Old 04-10-2014, 03:50 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,701,072 times
Quote:
You aren't going to find a bad school in Cary....and won't find many in all of Wake County (I admit, I am not a fan of Knightdale, but I hear they are working on it)......and if it's many years before your student in in high school...it could be an entire new school anyway.

If you are coming from an area that has all these small school districts in one county, it can seem strange....but really...this works out very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary