Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:37 PM

133 posts, read 280,652 times

Advertisements

I really like Chapel Hill and the surrounding areas, but recently learned about the nuclear power plant in the area. I looked it up on Wikipedia and there are reports of safety problems with the plant. This is a huge concern for me, and has me rethinking the relocation. Do you, as locals worry about the plant? Have you heard of the safety concerns?

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
The nuclear power plant is in Holly Springs, not Chapel Hill. I don't worry about it at all. I'm much more concerned with the daily risks I take driving my car.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:00 PM

579 posts, read 522,399 times
I don't worry about it much, but then I'm 26 miles away and 2 minutes from three routes that can take me away very quickly.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:07 PM

133 posts, read 280,652 times
I know it isn't IN town, but it's pretty close for comfort. Just a bummer...

Old 06-08-2014, 06:09 PM

369 posts, read 460,243 times
Major catastrophes involving nuclear power plants are EXTREMELY rare. There are nuclear power plants all over this country (and many other countries as well). I'd be more concerned about fracking than nuclear power plants.

How close is your home to a nuclear plant?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:09 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
Not really. I mean if you rule out living anywhere within 50 miles of a nuclear plant, you don't leave many places with a high quality of life, especially on the east coast. Chapel Hill is 20 miles away, so in a major disaster, you should have plenty of opportunity to evacuate. I would avoid living within the 10 mile radius of the plant (Apex, Holly Springs, F-V).

Old 06-08-2014, 06:13 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,189,137 times
Don't forget parts of Cary, too.

Old 06-08-2014, 06:36 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
Not really. I mean if you rule out living anywhere within 50 miles of a nuclear plant, you don't leave many places with a high quality of life, especially on the east coast.
Most places in the greater DC/NoVA/MD area are greater than 50 miles from any nuclear power plant - the benefits of expensive real estate!

Old 06-08-2014, 06:39 PM

24 posts, read 30,027 times
OK, I'll jump in here.

Now, I'm just one guy. I'm sure I'll get flamed no matter what I say, but here goes.

Shearon Harris Nuclear Power Plant has been running since 1987.

I am neither an out and out opponent, nor raving supporter of nuclear energy per se, but I am an avid skeptic about what passes for industrial management, esp. when it's in nominal control of a nuclear plant.

I seriously doubt SHNPP could have a Chernobyl-like event; 1) As poor as I view US industrial & regulatory management, they're a darn sight better than Soviet era. 2) Just guessing, but the legacy of Three Mile Island probably tightened a lot of things. And SHNPP construction was started long after Three Mile Island.

Chapel Hill being to the North & a little West of SHNPP, if the big "OHMYGAWD" happened, you wouldn't be in as deep pucky as us po' folks in Apex, Cary, Raleigh, etc.

I guess, I could be wrong, and we could be at big risk. But I think we're more at risk from things like the "Environmental Quality" fire in Apex several years ago (2008); lots of ill-regulated & unknown chemicals were in storage, with little oversight, and when things did catch fire, it was a huge huge problem.

But for every day risk, SHNPP ranks low compared to the risk you take driving to work every day, with drivers distracted by cellphones, radios, kids, how bad they slept last night, etc.

Heck, decide for yourself. Check out NC-WARN; (NC WARN) They make a full time job of tracking what happens there.

Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM

360 posts, read 516,729 times
Okay, I'll admit... it makes me a little nervous, too. I've wondered if other people think about this locally, and it seems like they don't worry about it much.

I wouldn't be as worried about Chapel Hill as I would be about Raleigh and Cary, based on fall out projections. Not sure how good the source is on this, but here's a link I found interesting:

http://www.nuclearpowerdanger.com/pl...-plume-map.php

I *think* all should be fine, but greed and arrogance are not to be underestimated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary