Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 12:35 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,523,293 times

Advertisements

DH just got from registering his car in NC.

$415, included a one time $150 highway use tax!

it will cost us nearly $1K to register both our cars here! OUCH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 12:40 PM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,400 times
I'm betting you have either new or nice cars.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:41 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,176,864 times
Welcome to NC.

It's even worse where we used to live in Louisiana.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM

19,447 posts, read 27,871,647 times
Yep. It gets cheaper each year as the car's value decreases. That said, they sometimes to value the cars incorrectly. How do I know? We have two identical cars - same model, same year, same options, different color. We leased the first one, paid the registration, then purchased the other one 3 months later. Then noticed the value on the second one was nearly $5,000 less than the first one!

Took a trip to Durham, but it got fixed and I got a refund.

Edited to add: AZ was worse, too.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yep. It gets cheaper each year as the car's value decreases. That said, they sometimes to value the cars incorrectly. How do I know? We have two identical cars - same model, same year, same options, different color. We leased the first one, paid the registration, then purchased the other one 3 months later. Then noticed the value on the second one was nearly $5,000 less than the first one!

Took a trip to Durham, but it got fixed and I got a refund.

Edited to add: AZ was worse, too.
DH and I have different cars. How can we figure out if they made a mistake?

Old 06-24-2014, 12:51 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,082,730 times
You could try this one for vehicle property tax :

https://edmv.ncdot.gov/TaxEstimator

Frank

Old 06-24-2014, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yep. It gets cheaper each year as the car's value decreases.
same in NY - I just got my 2-yr registration renewal for NYS, which expires in July. $126 for 2 years. a heck of a lot cheaper than it will be here.

Feeling pretty frustrated with myself mostly for not researching all these extra fees - not just DMV, but groceries are higher here, there is tax on food here, income tax is only slightly lower than in NY.

the only big savings that I have seen so far was my car insurance rates, but the NC vehicle use tax wiped those savings away, and THEN some.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
You could try this one for vehicle property tax :

https://edmv.ncdot.gov/TaxEstimator

Frank
thanks - I have seen that link.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:04 PM

379 posts, read 518,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
I'm betting you have either new or nice cars.
I will be paying the same next year to register two "new nice" cars when we move. I should have waited and purchased them down there, lol. I would have saved paying the sales tax up here (8.75%). However, after doing the math you do save on the long run in NC overall. I don't know where you lived RM up here, but, my E-Z pass bill last year was $2,700.00. Most of it was accured getting home from work. I think that bill alone will pale in comparison to any highway tax I would pay down there. And just an observation from my visits to the area, it appears that NC takes much better care of its roads than NYC and NYS do.

Old 06-24-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
I will be paying the same next year to register two "new nice" cars when we move. I should have waited and purchased them down there, lol. I would have saved paying the sales tax up here (8.75%). However, after doing the math you do save on the long run in NC overall. I don't know where you lived RM up here, but, my E-Z pass bill last year was $2,700.00. Most of it was accured getting home from work. I think that bill alone will pale in comparison to any highway tax I would pay down there. And just an observation from my visits to the area, it appears that NC takes much better care of its roads than NYC and NYS do.
it is all relative. I did not commute using tolls in NY. so that has no impact on me. roads are better here because
1. little or no snow, and they obviously don't treat the roads here which causes pot holes
2. a LOT less people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary